More Bus Moves

sw4400

2 hours ago, briman94 said:

What do you mean by "seats removed?"

They took 4 seats away in each car  idk if it's a trail for more cars or part of yahoo

53 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

What four seats? The only ones they could remove are the forward facing ones.

Yeah the 4 by the front cab of the car. When I get home I can post a picture. 

19 minutes ago, ajm522 said:

They took 4 seats away in each car  idk if it's a trail for more cars or part of yahoo

Yeah the 4 by the front cab of the car. When I get home I can post a picture. 

Not sure what that would accomplish, as the hvac box is under there.

11 minutes ago, briman94 said:

That would be amazing if they could put in some 3200-style seats in the 5000s.

I thought it was a marketing ploy by Yahoo like they are giving more room but the other Yahoo wrapped train cars (in the 5200 range) don't have the missing seats. So I am confused. No other 5000 train car I encountered today has them missing either.

30 minutes ago, briman94 said:

That would be amazing if they could put in some 3200-style seats in the 5000s.

I was thinking maybe they could use the same seats, but turn them 90 degrees. They wouldn't need a hand rail on them because with them  being longitudinal, they don't have one. Interesting, they wouldn't need one either laying up against the cab bulkhead. o.O Maybe the seats are off for machining somewhere in a one time experiment, which if successful could lead to the entire #5000 fleet changing those seats. Something to consider at least.

21 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

I was thinking maybe they could use the same seats, but turn them 90 degrees. They wouldn't need a hand rail on them because with them  being longitudinal, they don't have one. Interesting, they wouldn't need one either laying up against the cab bulkhead. o.O Maybe the seats are off for machining somewhere in a one time experiment, which if successful could lead to the entire #5000 fleet changing those seats. Something to consider at least.

If that's what they were doing, I'd expect the car to not be run in service until the work was done. Plus, I just don't see why they'd bother removing 2 seats only to reinstall them turned 90 degrees. But I don't have a better explanation for why the seats were removed.

• Upvote 1

Well Bombardier sure wasn't going to alter it's contract. So maybe this is CTA's way of saying to the commuters "we're working on a better more comfortable commute" I don't know what to say but CTA has been making some better moves as of late, bustrackers in the "L" stops, the return of the #11, (in trial form), the return of X service with a hint of brt lite, so it wouldn't surprise me if that's what's going on with the seats. Just hope it's not another Max capacity car like #3323-26. Those cars still don't have their missing seats even though the max decals are long gone.

I finally found the Harlem/Blue line's bustracker sign, hidden in the station, so it seems most stations have one, but Addison/blue still don't, but that might soon change. Odd #423 wasn't on it and one came to the Harlem/Blue line station, so what does that mean Pace is not a part of this? Then I wonder why Rosemont has one?

3 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Well Bombardier sure wasn't going to alter it's contract. So maybe this is CTA's way of saying to the commuters "we're working on a better more comfortable commute"

• Kind of late for that.
  • If CTA were demonstrating something for passenger comfort, there would be seats there, not a bare hvac box.

Update: I retract the struck material due to a better picture here.

Edited by Busjack

On 11/27/2015, 1:15:55, sw4400 said:

Here's a little change to get us back on topic here.... classic videos of some now retired buses from the '90's, early 2000's.

I'll quote it here, just to get the video back to the correct place.

I also noted that it is now kind of curious that NABI junk can be classified as classic.

48 minutes ago, strictures said:

I was at Clark/Devon & saw an EB 155 with a destination sign that read: 155 Devon; to Morse/Ashland; Via Yellow Line!

The via Yellow Line is a separate reading. However, I thought the regular reading was changed several years ago to "to Morse Red Line."

15 minutes ago, ajm522 said:

5403 also has the 2 seats removed in the front of the car. And there's a hole drilled which I guess the popped hook up to. 

5403 is a Purple line car, and 5327-28 (Red Line) have already been reported as having missing seats. If the report about those cars being used for deicing is correct, then logically the Green and Pink lines should have missing seat cars, as well as at least one more set from Howard to cover the Yellow line.

On 11/22/2015, 6:49:34, ArcherRider said:

I ride the #146 a lot when the when the Bears player  announced  the people to ride the CTA to Soldier Field to see the Bears game the clever devicei instead of "GO BEARS" it  read "GO BEARS PINK ORG BRW" yesterday and it one time it read :"GO BEARS EXP TO DELAWARE ".and I thought I was see the thing .

There is indeed a glitch in the system that makes several message signs morph together. I first noticed it on the #9. The message for exiting for UIC Hospital on that route merges with announcements for transferring to various rail lines along the route. The glitch has been there pretty much the whole time since CTA restored the secondary message readings.

2 hours ago, garmon757 said:

#6695 was spotted while operating #2 or #6 (blank destination sign). What the hell was that about???

If it was #2 then it probably was just sent out because thats what was on hand from SS. If it was on the #6 that can't be explained.