More Bus Moves

sw4400

1 hour ago, Mr.cta85 said:

Just saw 1002 as a 111. Now im wondering did 103rd give any buses away for the return of 1000, 02-04

Maybe they are trying to justify Chicago getting the final 23 #8100's, but the bloat is just going other places. Interesting no low #1000's are out on Chicago routes.

And what would the fun be in riding the #3200's if there was not a humorous advertisement.

5692001c20d4a_weinercheck.thumb.PNG.9ce2

I thought it was a dog ad at first until I read STD. That's got me thinking, I wonder if there is a cat ad that says check your ***** for a women. Technically that's not a dirty word if used in the context of a cat. In fact many europeans call a cat one of these.

I'll omit the word as you can imagine what it is and keep this a family program. Somehow I don't see a cat ad being approved though, but this was approved so you never know!! o.O9_9:P

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, wordguy said:

It looks as if there's been a 5-for-5 swap between 103rd &  Chicago Ave.:

1000 & 1002-1005,   C to 103

4177-4180 plus either 4176 or 4181 from 103 to C.

I guess C was more in need of Artics than 103.

That's what it looks like. Does this affect J14?

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

That's what it looks like. Does this affect J14?

with 70 artics left I Doubt it since they still try to pull out the jump wrapped buses for the route before  any other artics. I'd look more at the 26 and 6 which from a quit bustracker check seem unfazed as I only saw 1 40ft on the 26. Whenever 103rd nets 60 artics and above they usually spread to routes outside of J14 and 6 to pull a few school runs on Dan Ryan routes and the 15 before heading downtown or in addition to the recent practice of keeping 26 full artic. Then add the fact 28 and 29 no longer get overflow artics unlike the previous  times when  they had extra 60+ they probably figure Chicago could use those more. I've been noticing quite a few artics on 65 Grand on my way to work at Navy Pier. 20 Madison is another good candidate that might see some sooner or later. 

Looking at a recent reply of jajuan's about bus garages from the 1970's...

Garage Name                                      Status Today

A - Archer                                           Closed due to budget cuts

B - Beverly

C - 52nd

D - 69th

E - 77th                                             Still Active

F - Forest Glen                                 Still Active

G - North Park                                  Still Active

H - Limits

J - North Av

K - Kedzie                                       Still Active

The ones that I didn't put a status with, what happened to those garages? Were they all closed due to funding, or were they renamed?

6 hours ago, sw4400 said:

Looking at a recent reply of jajuan's about bus garages from the 1970's...

Garage Name                                      Status Today

A - Archer                                           Closed due to budget cuts

B - Beverly   Replaced by 103; still CTA property for nonrevenue vehicles,like money trucks.

C - 52nd  Too small; closure coincided with articulated buses on Jeffery; now site of U of C maintenance building.

D - 69th  Replaced by 74; site now Food 4 Less.

E - 77th                                             Still Active

F - Forest Glen                                 Still Active

G - North Park                                  Still Active

H - Limits Closed, was to be replaced by a garage near Elston and Diversey, but decided unneeded.

J - North Av Replaced by C; site now Food 4 Less

K - Kedzie                                       Still Active but not the original garage at that site.

The ones that I didn't put a status with, what happened to those garages? Were they all closed due to funding, or were they renamed?

See blue.

Also, you left out Lawndale, which officially closed in 1973, but was used when K and C were under construction.

The other thing one has to figure is that around 1970, there were about 2400 buses, now some 1800.

• Upvote 1

I think the mystery was with the garage code E, which was before my time if it existed at all.  From what I remembered. 

A -Archer

B - Beverly

C -Chicago 

F- Forest Glen

K-Keizer

L - Limits

N  North Avenue/Lawndale

P - North Park

1 - 10 3rd (run box)

03 - 10 3rd ( sticker)

5 - 52nd/Cottage Grove

Chicago Avenue (run box)

6 - 69th and 74th

7 - 77th

On 1/10/2016 at 1:03 AM, BusHunter said:

And what would the fun be in riding the #3200's if there was not a humorous advertisement.

5692001c20d4a_weinercheck.thumb.PNG.9ce2

I thought it was a dog ad at first until I read STD. That's got me thinking, I wonder if there is a cat ad that says check your ***** for a women. Technically that's not a dirty word if used in the context of a cat. In fact many europeans call a cat one of these.

I'll omit the word as you can imagine what it is and keep this a family program. Somehow I don't see a cat ad being approved though, but this was approved so you never know!! o.O9_9:P

Was that wiener kosher or genetically modified? 

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Was that weiner kosher or genetically modified? 

It's funny they used the word weiner as that's german. I don't see that many germans here. If they wanted to portray that dog, they could have said hot dog, but they could have said alot of things as that has many names.

44 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

It's funny they used the word weiner as that's german. I don't see that many germans here. If they wanted to portray that dog, they could have said hot dog, but they could have said alot of things as that has many names.

Note it is wiener (i before e). Source  is the official name of Vienna (Wien). Vienna Beef was started by someone from Vienna, and its products are obviously wieners, and dachshunds are known as wiener dogs.

One time a dachshund was sniffing my shoes, and someone said "that's a German dog," and I said "better than a rottweiler."

On 1/12/2016 at 9:53 PM, Sam92 said:

with 70 artics left I Doubt it since they still try to pull out the jump wrapped buses for the route before  any other artics. I'd look more at the 26 and 6 which from a quit bustracker check seem unfazed as I only saw 1 40ft on the 26. Whenever 103rd nets 60 artics and above they usually spread to routes outside of J14 and 6 to pull a few school runs on Dan Ryan routes and the 15 before heading downtown or in addition to the recent practice of keeping 26 full artic. Then add the fact 28 and 29 no longer get overflow artics unlike the previous  times when  they had extra 60+ they probably figure Chicago could use those more. I've been noticing quite a few artics on 65 Grand on my way to work at Navy Pier. 20 Madison is another good candidate that might see some sooner or later. 

#26 has been mostly artic not quite completely artic covered. 40 foot buses have still found themselves on this route. But yes it still would likely see an effect of 103rd sending five artics to C before the J14 would see an impact if any. As for how this effects C it's far more likely that we'll see some tightening up from seeing as many 40 foot buses on #66 as we've been seeing as of late. Since the introduction of artics to C, #65 has always seen one or two rush hour artics in the morning that in turn pull back in to the garage after the AM rush is over. The route is otherwise covered by 40 foot buses. So don't expect some big change to artics. Don't expect it for #20 either. Five additional artics isn't enough to expand artic use at C beyond continuing the coverage done on the #66 and the occasional rush hour and special events extra runs.

Speaking of bus usage at C, one thing I've been noticing lately with the #19 is that C does all the trips going to the United Center leading up to the Bulls or Blackhawks home game start time using all 8100s, while K handles all the postgame trips back into downtown using artics. 

17 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

1000,1002-1005 C to 103

4177-4181 103 to C

66-Chicago has been getting quite a few 40-footers of late.

Yeah and it's the first longitudinal artics for Chicago. Could be riders don't like those buses with the longitudinal seats as much or like I was noticing they seem to be chugging that black smoke more than the other ones. So what this makes 4 garages with the stimulus artics? It's only 58 buses too. Might as well spread them as thin as they can.

20 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Yeah and it's the first longitudinal artics for Chicago. Could be riders don't like those buses with the longitudinal seats as much or like I was noticing they seem to be chugging that black smoke more than the other ones. So what this makes 4 garages with the stimulus artics? It's only 58 buses too. Might as well spread them as thin as they can.

On THAT perspective..... NP and 77th were pretty rough on that particular group of artics.... then add to that whatever goes on at 103rd causes there artics to constantly be oos at south shops maybe they're trying to keep them somewhere where they can get some rest.