More Bus Moves

sw4400

24 minutes ago, Busjack said:

I guess someone is going to have to stand at a bus stop for 3 hours and take down run numbers.:P

Or somebody stalking a supervisor! I do have to figure out the run numbers so I can input them by editing the actual garage route roster on ChicagoBus site.

24 minutes ago, jajuan said:

Oops. Correct as of earlier this year summer pick I think. But the rest were definitely NP. 

#1859 was transitioned to 74th back in January of this year but yes, the rest was North Park. Also, #1319 was operating X49 this morning. 

6 minutes ago, garmon757 said:

Or somebody stalking a supervisor! I do have to figure out the run numbers so I can input them by editing the actual garage route roster on ChicagoBus site.

It's a good question whether the Xs get separate blocks, and, of course whether there is an official source that will let you have them.

I was only alluding to whether the first character was a 6 or P, and the time (about 1977) when bus 7547 was on Western, but kept swapping  between NP and 69th.

Oh yeah; Forest Glen garage will get new buses. Perhaps after ISIL is completely annihilated. Or maybe, just maybe, it'll get the two 700-series electric buses and the remnant 800-series 40-foot hybrid buses from Kedzie. Of course, since nobody at Forest Glen is familiar with how to maintain or operate those buses, they'll sit in the lot all day and night. O.o

2 minutes ago, pudgym29 said:

Oh yeah; Forest Glen garage will get new buses. Perhaps after ISIL is completely annihilated. Or maybe, just maybe, it'll get the two 700-series electric buses and the remnant 800-series 40-foot hybrid buses from Kedzie. Of course, since nobody at Forest Glen is familiar with how to maintain or operate those buses, they'll sit in the lot all day and night. O.o

The bad reference to ISIL aside, FG doesn't have the proper amenities to maintain the 700s or remaining 800s. So it's highly improbable that FG will get them or that Kedzie will be letting those go. It's far more likely FG will get 1000s and/or some remaining 7900s left to be delivered. We can be pretty sure the 6400s will be completely gone by 2017, meaning starting next year FG would have to get something else. As is all 6400s at other garages  have been retired or moved to FG. BH and others would probably agree that the count at FG is possibly about 30 buses too high given about 277 7900s are now in service. Yet BH's roster count still shows 280 6400s stil in service and all at FG when FG usually only needs 240-250 total buses to maintain service.

• 2 weeks later...

So i'm on an #82 bus yesterday and this woman starts talking about being followed while she is on the bus by a car full of teenagers. So i'm listening to her conversation. (she was on a cell) She says she has an order of protection out on these people and they approached the bus saying they got her when she gets off. So she calls the cops right there on the bus and she says she just left a crime scene involving these guys and she doesn't know if they have guns or not. So i'm like this is wonderful. Do i want to stay on this bus with her talking about someone getting shot. I ended up getting off the bus and took the follower. I looked and sure enough the bus was being followed by 4 or 5 men in a car. I got on the follower which was about 4 minutes behind. We caught up to her bus, the guys were coming around the bus looking to see if she was on it. Then the cavalry showed up (cops) and they stopped the bus, the operator ran out of the bus and was waiving her arms at our operator or the cops, I don't know which, then everyone got on our bus and we went. What a circus!! Hopefully that doesn't happen again anytime soon. I was sort of surprised people were just non chalantly riding with her, they didn't seemed worried for their safety. Once a drive by happens, you can't reverse it and I was thinking I still have 1/2 a lifetime to live here. Better to be safe than sorry.

19 hours ago, BusHunter said:

So i'm on an #82 bus yesterday and this woman starts talking about being followed while she is on the bus by a car full of teenagers. So i'm listening to her conversation. (she was on a cell) She says she has an order of protection out on these people and they approached the bus saying they got her when she gets off. So she calls the cops right there on the bus and she says she just left a crime scene involving these guys and she doesn't know if they have guns or not. So i'm like this is wonderful. Do i want to stay on this bus with her talking about someone getting shot. I ended up getting off the bus and took the follower. I looked and sure enough the bus was being followed by 4 or 5 men in a car. I got on the follower which was about 4 minutes behind. We caught up to her bus, the guys were coming around the bus looking to see if she was on it. Then the cavalry showed up (cops) and they stopped the bus, the operator ran out of the bus and was waiving her arms at our operator or the cops, I don't know which, then everyone got on our bus and we went. What a circus!! Hopefully that doesn't happen again anytime soon. I was sort of surprised people were just non chalantly riding with her, they didn't seemed worried for their safety. Once a drive by happens, you can't reverse it and I was thinking I still have 1/2 a lifetime to live here. Better to be safe than sorry.

I think it's basically people just get to a point in their lives where they come to personal decisions that they don't want to let every potential danger worry them to the point that they can't function properly when going about their daily routine. It's a balancing act for sure, on the one hand you want to be safe as possible. However, you don't want to be at a point of letting fear paralyze you from living your life. So you probably were seeing a bit of evidence of the latter among these other people who were riding.

11 minutes ago, jajuan said:

I think it's basically people just get to a point in their lives where they come to personal decisions that they don't want to let every potential danger worry them to the point that they can't function properly when going about their daily routine.

On the other hand, with documented  gang wars, getting on a 79 bus doesn't seem like such a good idea. I don't know when that area went to h---, but the Sun-Times documented a while back that 79th was the worst shooting zone, and that was before the Tyshawn Lee and yesterday's shootings.

9 minutes ago, Busjack said:

On the other hand, with documented  gang wars, getting on a 79 bus doesn't seem like such a good idea. I don't know when that area went to h---, but the Sun-Times documented a while back that 79th was the worst shooting zone, and that was before the Tyshawn Lee and yesterday's shootings.

How safe someone feels depends a lot on their comfort level based on past experiences. Someone who grew up in a neighborhood where gang violence is a problem might not be afraid to ride the 79, since something happening on the bus is still unlikely. On the other extreme, I know people in the suburbs who are afraid to walk past trees because "somebody could jump out and grab you".

16 hours ago, Busjack said:

True but this wasn't 79th. BH was far from it. And even in that situation the same would apply. I've traveled along and near 79th from visits with friends and most folks each time were going about their business and overall the surrounding environment calm and peaceful. I'm not trying to be cavalier or saying that there's absolutely nothing to worry about, but it is a complex issue that's made more complex from the media at times but not always giving an exaggerated view of things as with other issues. A good example of this with this very issue is folks living outside of Chicago thinking you can go nowhere at all safely within the city and that it's open constant gang fights on every square foot of the city due to national media coverage on the issue. And what of the incident we discussed on here of the suburban young lady who got put off the Metra train in what's agreed to be a relatively quiet area and her parents freaked because it was still within the bounds of the Chicago city limits? I think we mostly collectively agreed that the parents were right to be upset but also that their overall reaction was out of proportion. So yeah we want to be diligent about safety but we also still want to try to keep our reactions in perspective. 

1 hour ago, jajuan said:

I think Mark Brown may have hit upon a state reason for why construction near Chicago Read has been stalled and as a result why the #78 keeps straight along Forest Preserve Drive instead of diverting into Read as it previously has done. 

That and the problem of discovering the dead bodies over there. Their construction project just became an archaeological dig. All projects were put off indefinitely and now the info is out and it's public knowledge so it can't be swept under the rug.

I was noticing over here at this cemetary on Addison/Narragansett right where the neenah ski jump is, (where they paved over an old RR crossing feeding the State Asylum) they have the cemetary marked out for gas lines. You mean to tell me they buried people on top of gas lines? I was talking to someone and they said that RR was an old coal feed line that they ran coal cars on up to the Asylum. They later ran with gas. They claimed that if they needed to excavate the gas lines they'd have to excavate the bodies. I'm glad I have no one in there.

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

That and the problem of discovering the dead bodies over there. Their construction project just became an archaeological dig. All projects were put off indefinitely and now the info is out and it's public knowledge so it can't be swept under the rug.

I was noticing over here at this cemetary on Addison/Narragansett right where the neenah ski jump is, (where they paved over an old RR crossing feeding the State Asylum) they have the cemetary marked out for gas lines. You mean to tell me they buried people on top of gas lines? I was talking to someone and they said that RR was an old coal feed line that they ran coal cars on up to the Asylum. They later ran with gas. They claimed that if they needed to excavate the gas lines they'd have to excavate the bodies. I'm glad I have no one in there.

Yeah that is bad. But I have a feeling the state budget mess is going to be what gets latched on to more as being a reason given Brown made no mention of the cemetery and dead body issue in his article and focused only on the state as being to blame for the hold up in construction.

19 minutes ago, jajuan said:

Yeah that is bad. But I have a feeling the state budget mess is going to be what gets latched on to more as being a reason given Brown made no mention of the cemetery and dead body issue in his article and focused only on the state as being to blame for the hold up in construction.

Brown's only interested in political concerns, real or imagined.