More Bus Moves

sw4400

2 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Definitely those last two points. The amount of people I’ve seen riding the bus for 2-4 blocks (and they aren’t all elderly either) has skyrocketed. Took the 3 yesterday from 75th to 55th like I usually do to get on the green line and it took 25 mins, just from frequent stopping. Someone waited with me for 10 mins at 75th just to get off at 71st, they could’ve walked in that time period. 

I’ve still seen some drivers adhere to the 15 or less rule, but then face opposition from both riders of the bus and people outside that got skipped. I’ll have to see what the 79 looks like now that it’s back to normal, since I’ve been doing the 381+386 combo for the last 2-3 weeks.

side note: those intentionally removed from service signs on the pace seats are completely ignored as well 

Two routes I recently traveled are the 4 and the 20.  While the 4 barely had any passengers between downtown and 115th, the 20 certainly needed the artics I rode.  Heading east from Austin, almost all seats were filled by the time the bus left Leamungton.  I've seen Novas on the 20 and I would hate to imagine the crowding.

Though it helps the CTAis still not charging for bus rides, it might be time to reinstate charging fares.  If the buses gave driver shields, this shouldn't pose any safety risks to the drivers.

Without going on a rant, I will say the madks are more of a health threat.   If we are covering our faces, we are cutting off our oxygen,  making us more susceptible to illness.

On 6/13/2020 at 3:13 PM, RJL6000 said:

Yes. Also, NP lost all its hybrid artics as well. The only artics remaining at NP now are the diesel artics 4334-4399.

And K received some more lower 1200s from 77th (such as 1219), to compensate for the loss of its 1570s to 74th. All those moves this weekend were due to the increasing number of artics at both 77th and C.

That explains 135 and 136 having so many 40 footers this morning when AM rush period for those routes always ran basically all artic during mornings before today. Also explains 146 and 147 having close to half 40 tooters and the 135, 136 and 148 PM runs showing no artics used. And doesn't look like 1026 or 1027 moved from 74th since both are currently on the now 94 California which did not change garages with its extension to Addison/Rockwell.

24 minutes ago, jajuan said:

That explains 135 and 136 having so many 40 footers this morning when AM rush period for those routes always ran basically all artic during mornings before today. Also explains 146 and 147 having close to half 40 tooters and the 135, 136 and 148 PM runs showing no artics used. And doesn't look like 1026 or 1027 moved from 74th since both are currently on the now 94 California which did not change garages with its extension to Addison/Rockwell.

how do garages change the stickers does the garage manger tell the employees to change em or do the employees change em on their own?

11 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

For the time being at least at my garage these moves are permanent in regards to the 4000s being at 77th, now time will tell as we advance to phase 4 and 5 of reopening the city because ridership has increased dramatically on the key routes they've been assigned to since we advanced to phase 3. I personally feel it's time to start taking fares again because everyone has taken full advantage of riding the buses for free and the 15 or less rule has just been thrown out the door. 

I agree cuz I don't really go by that rule no more only time I go by it is when I'm coming up to kedize where I know a supervisor maybe when I'm doing east/west routes or coming up to jackson when I'm doing north/south routes 

3 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

how do garages change the stickers does the garage manger tell the employees to change em or do the employees change em on their own?

I think the garage workers do cuz 7 change they stickers fast af dam near soon as they get the bus where K take their time we still got some 12's running sporting the 7 sticker just like 2 novas just recently gor K stickers as long as they been there 

18 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

Well it looks like whatever Kedzie had left is heading for 77th because we just lost a few more of our 40 footers today to make room for more artics. Stickers are getting replaced as well on former NP,103rd and Kedzie Artics.

Yea y'all change the garage stickers fast at bro the bus be pulling in & y'all change the stickers ???

9 minutes ago, Javi78 said:

Is there a possibility of NP getting 7900s to make up for the loss of artics to C and 77th? Would they let go of their 7900s? Also why is FG trying to put the 6400s back in service? 

6 minutes ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Cuz they can still get some use out of the 6400's bro 

No and no. NP got 40 foot New Flyers to account for the artics it gave up.

16 hours ago, Chammon Moore said:

6799 on the 77

6858 on the 76 

6860 on the 92

6675 was on the #84. It does have a new shield Saw the #147 running with 40 foot buses it was packed. Pretty much all the buses on 79th are artics. Drove my ups route at 1am and they were running artics. No riders. Seemed funny seeing artics in the middle of the night. 

On 5/31/2020 at 10:27 AM, Anthony Devera said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the management at Chicago and 77th decided to get rid of their artics because they were making routes much slower, and the remaining artic garages didn't really need more, so that's why we have the surplus. It would be best if Chicago and 77th would keep their artics; they both have routes that could really use them. And FG and 74th also have routes that could use them. If artics didn't work on the 66, how do they work on the 12? I left out the 79 because Chicago and Roosevelt are mostly 4-lane roads, while 79th is mostly a 2-lane road, and that might be a factor.

Instead of just normal 30' buses, I wonder if cutaway vans could be a solution for some routes. Those would be good for routes that run on narrow streets (96, 172), and they would be more fuel-efficient than a 30' bus.

FG could uses artics But they dont have the facilities to perform maintenance on them such as hoists. Im curious to know if FG will be expanded. They purchased the surrounding factories which are now fenced off and CTA signed   If they tear down the building  FG will have a significant increase in space. FG could use an update!  

4 hours ago, CTA5750 said:

FG could uses artics But they dont have the facilities to perform maintenance on them such as hoists. Im curious to know if FG will be expanded. They purchased the surrounding factories which are now fenced off and CTA signed   If they tear down the building  FG will have a significant increase in space. FG could use an update!  

I agree.

5 hours ago, CTA5750 said:

Cool they maybe able to get artics then 

On 6/15/2020 at 1:46 PM, NewFlyerMCI said:

Definitely those last two points. The amount of people I’ve seen riding the bus for 2-4 blocks (and they aren’t all elderly either) has skyrocketed. Took the 3 yesterday from 75th to 55th like I usually do to get on the green line and it took 25 mins, just from frequent stopping. Someone waited with me for 10 mins at 75th just to get off at 71st, they could’ve walked in that time period. 

I’ve still seen some drivers adhere to the 15 or less rule, but then face opposition from both riders of the bus and people outside that got skipped. I’ll have to see what the 79 looks like now that it’s back to normal, since I’ve been doing the 381+386 combo for the last 2-3 weeks.

side note: those intentionally removed from service signs on the pace seats are completely ignored as well 

It's really annoyed me as off late, I've had the 3,4,8 and 79 last weekend and most recent was the 8 on Sunday, I kid you not two gentleman got on my bus with there bikes at 69th just to go to 63rd. Here's the kicker they both rode past me several times from 79th all the way to 69th and didnt even want to get on until that point. I was already 7 minutes down just from dealing with a lot people riding a few blocks in medium groups. I just dont understand the logic and mindset in some of our passengers who do that. I'm just happy I picked for this summer and I'm off most of the key routes that have 60 footers.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

It's really annoyed me as off late, I've had the 3,4,8 and 79 last weekend and most recent was the 8 on Sunday, I kid you not two gentleman got on my bus with there bikes at 69th just to go to 63rd. Here's the kicker they both rode past me several times from 79th all the way to 69th and didnt even want to get on until that point. I was already 7 minutes down just from dealing with a lot people riding a few blocks in medium groups. I just dont understand the logic and mindset in some of our passengers who do that. I'm just happy I picked for this summer and I'm off most of the key routes that have 60 footers.

Bro you don't like driving the artics bro & know know wtf u mean I been having that alot also

17 hours ago, BusHunter said:

6675 was on the #84. It does have a new shield Saw the #147 running with 40 foot buses it was packed. Pretty much all the buses on 79th are artics. Drove my ups route at 1am and they were running artics. No riders. Seemed funny seeing artics in the middle of the night. 

Yeah 147 has a fair number of 40 footers now, but compared to 146 it still has a far higher artic coverage. The artics still appear to do a majority of the runs while on 146 it appears that the 40 footers are doing a majority. The oddity for me is getting used to seeing the 148 in the PM rush and seeing no artics on that route at all from what I've observed the last couple of days.