More Bus Moves

sw4400

5 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

It's really annoyed me as off late, I've had the 3,4,8 and 79 last weekend and most recent was the 8 on Sunday, I kid you not two gentleman got on my bus with there bikes at 69th just to go to 63rd. Here's the kicker they both rode past me several times from 79th all the way to 69th and didnt even want to get on until that point. I was already 7 minutes down just from dealing with a lot people riding a few blocks in medium groups. I just dont understand the logic and mindset in some of our passengers who do that. I'm just happy I picked for this summer and I'm off most of the key routes that have 60 footers.

I still don’t understand it. I just get my 15 and keep it pushing. 

With NP losing all hybrid artics, the bus drivers on the south side out of 77th and 103rd drive the hybrid artics faster than NP, NP drivers were always timid when driving artics. What is that sound that the hybrid buses make when they go fast then stop or slow down? The last few times I’ve rode a hybrid artic on the 146 I was disappointed that I didn’t hear that sound when the bus was approaching Michigan Ave off of Lakeshore Drive. I like the hybrid buses make that sound when they’re going fast then slow down or brake. Every time I rode the 6 or  J14 the artics would be speeding down a street like we were on LSD and the hybrid buses would always make that sound every time I approached a bus stop, stop sign, red light. From seeing how aggressive the drivers on the 2, 3, 4, and 8 drive I could only imagine the they’re speeding with those artics at 77th.

9 hours ago, BusHunter said:

#6678 was out at the east end on the #78. That was the only #6400 I saw and I was out there a good 6 hrs. 

I saw it on  Milwaukee a couple days ago!!! I wondered why it was on the street. 

18 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Cool they maybe able to get artics then 

If thats the plan! There's has also always been talk about relocating FG. But there really isnt any location on the entire NW side to replace the facility. My guess

1 hour ago, CTA5750 said:

If thats the plan! There's has also always been talk about relocating FG. But there really isnt any location on the entire NW side to replace the facility. My guess

Well I know this sounds crazy but, NP technically has room for up to 440 buses. What if CTA followed through on the Fisk deal,  at which point FG sent it's work over to them, NP moves some LSD work to Fisk and Kedzie (Kedize would send some work to Fisk as well to make room) and FG could just consolidate in NP ??

12 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

Well I know this sounds crazy but, NP technically has room for up to 440 buses. What if CTA followed through on the Fisk deal,  at which point FG sent it's work over to them, NP moves some LSD work to Fisk and Kedzie (Kedize would send some work to Fisk as well to make room) and FG could just consolidate in NP ??

Doesn’t FG not have lifts for artics?

Aw ok yea NP is kind of a  big garage but only time will tell what they do with FG 

2 hours ago, Sam92 said:

If FG does get closed, would it be possible to expand Chicago Garage? According to Google Maps, there is some vacant land to the west of the current building there. With the expanded facility, Chicago Garage could then take all the North-South routes west of Laramie and the 76 and 77 (maybe also the 80, as some 80 trips could end at Irving Park Blue Line and deadhead as Route 53). Then North Park could take all the East-West routes as far south as the 152 (maybe the 80 can be shared between the two garages). The short routes at Jefferson Park (68, 81W, 85A, 88) could be at either garage, but it would be easier to deadhead from JP to NP as Route 92.

People have also been discussing an Archer Garage replacement, an example being the Fisk site. How good is the former Michael Reese Hospital site for a garage? It's been empty for about a decade now, and it doesn't seem like it will be developed anytime soon. This garage could take routes such as the 1, 12, 21, 31, 35, 39, 124, and the Downtown expresses. It has a convenient location close to Downtown and Lake Shore Drive. The only problem I can see with this location is community opposition.

51 minutes ago, Anthony Devera said:

If FG does get closed, would it be possible to expand Chicago Garage? According to Google Maps, there is some vacant land to the west of the current building there. With the expanded facility, Chicago Garage could then take all the North-South routes west of Laramie and the 76 and 77 (maybe also the 80, as some 80 trips could end at Irving Park Blue Line and deadhead as Route 53). Then North Park could take all the East-West routes as far south as the 152 (maybe the 80 can be shared between the two garages). The short routes at Jefferson Park (68, 81W, 85A, 88) could be at either garage, but it would be easier to deadhead from JP to NP as Route 92.

People have also been discussing an Archer Garage replacement, an example being the Fisk site. How good is the former Michael Reese Hospital site for a garage? It's been empty for about a decade now, and it doesn't seem like it will be developed anytime soon. This garage could take routes such as the 1, 12, 21, 31, 35, 39, 124, and the Downtown expresses. It has a convenient location close to Downtown and Lake Shore Drive. The only problem I can see with this location is community opposition.

In a crazy way that idea would work. But NP is most likely getting some buses back or NP is going to become a hot potato. The city's opening may be on the fast track now that it's summer. I'm trying to think what 103rd could use more artics for. Maybe the #28, but it don't go downtown. 74th not having artics hurts all the neighborhood it serves. They need to do something about getting artics to work all garages. If that means close a few, that's not going to be 74th, so be it. Why build a new garage without artic lifts, is what I think of when I think 74th?

36 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

In a crazy way that idea would work. But NP is most likely getting some buses back or NP is going to become a hot potato. The city's opening may be on the fast track now that it's summer. I'm trying to think what 103rd could use more artics for. Maybe the #28, but it don't go downtown. 74th not having artics hurts all the neighborhood it serves. They need to do something about getting artics to work all garages. If that means close a few, that's not going to be 74th, so be it. Why build a new garage without artic lifts, is what I think of when I think 74th?

When 74th was built. it was built for 55ft attics.  Remember ur opened during the Green Line shutdiwn.  I'm not sure if 74th or. 77th operated the 38 Michigan Express during that time.  When the NABI arttics came, I believe initially only the garages assigned artics got retrofitted lifts .  Chicago opened not long after 74th, but at some point managed to get retrofitted lifts. Why can't 74th and F get retrofitted?

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

When 74th was built. it was built for 55ft attics.  Remember ur opened during the Green Line shutdiwn.  I'm not sure if 74th or. 77th operated the 38 Michigan Express during that time.  When the NABI arttics came, I believe initially only the garages assigned artics got retrofitted lifts .  Chicago opened not long after 74th, but at some point managed to get retrofitted lifts. Why can't 74th and F get retrofitted?

FG's weird layout is preventing lifts from getting installed and I think 74th didn't get them because at that time of the garage rehabs, CTA figured instead of more artics they needed to focus more on scheduling and artics became extra weight until of course the recent COVID pandemic

3 hours ago, Anthony Devera said:

Micheal Reese has development plans (including a 31st St Metra station, but I don’t know the stage/status of said plans)

11 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

This will be the second day in a row 77th has received loaners from other garages. #8003 was on the 3 earlier and oddly enough an #8310's was also on the 3. I couldn't get a good view of the bus number but I'm positive it was #8317. 

I think 7 just go over to SS & get a bus thats ready to go & use it for some runs when they need a bus