More Bus Moves

sw4400

1 hour ago, Anthony Devera said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the management at Chicago and 77th decided to get rid of their artics because they were making routes much slower, and the remaining artic garages didn't really need more, so that's why we have the surplus. It would be best if Chicago and 77th would keep their artics; they both have routes that could really use them. And FG and 74th also have routes that could use them. If artics didn't work on the 66, how do they work on the 12? I left out the 79 because Chicago and Roosevelt are mostly 4-lane roads, while 79th is mostly a 2-lane road, and that might be a factor.

Instead of just normal 30' buses, I wonder if cutaway vans could be a solution for some routes. Those would be good for routes that run on narrow streets (96, 172), and they would be more fuel-efficient than a 30' bus.

FG could use artics on 81 and 77 

I think the major reason they ended up with a surplus is remember when they shut down the red line from 55th sourh, the #4300's were bought around that time and I remember most of them were used for the shuttles. Now they have no need for that and they ended up with a surplus. Still though I dont see the point of buses sitting around when they could be out on the #53 or the #20. I dont get the #54 so much. Remember when they ran those alot on the #66 or the #82. I thought those routes worked good because alot of times you would have to rub up against your co rider to get off the bus. The bus being bigger was way more spacious and balanced. 

I was thinking about how the ryan and the how red line is going to change after the RLE gets built and that may be happening soon. 103rd at one point only needed 217 buses for service if you cancel out buses what will become of it. Would you have a garage for 150 buses, but I see 103rd moving operations north and maybe doing routes like #87 or #4 because the garage is not to far from the east and south terminals. Where cta really lacks is in the middle southern area because there no archer garage. 77th and 74th could step up there. One reason we have the #94 with such an unbalance service is because theres no mid city garage like Archer. Lawndale becoming Chicago garage took away from that same area so it lacks now. We wouldnt have these crazy pullouts like #54b out of chicago if the area was served better. Can help but think about the pullout miles. Maybe one day this will be addressed. The Stevenson corridor has lots of land and it would be easy to base a bus operation there. We shall see

44 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

I think the major reason they ended up with a surplus is remember when they shut down the red line from 55th sourh, the #4300's were bought around that time and I remember most of them were used for the shuttles. Now they have no need for that and they ended up with a surplus. Still though I dont see the point of buses sitting around when they could be out on the #53 or the #20. I dont get the #54 so much. Remember when they ran those alot on the #66 or the #82. I thought those routes worked good because alot of times you would have to rub up against your co rider to get off the bus. The bus being bigger was way more spacious and balanced. 

I was thinking about how the ryan and the how red line is going to change after the RLE gets built and that may be happening soon. 103rd at one point only needed 217 buses for service if you cancel out buses what will become of it. Would you have a garage for 150 buses, but I see 103rd moving operations north and maybe doing routes like #87 or #4 because the garage is not to far from the east and south terminals. Where cta really lacks is in the middle southern area because there no archer garage. 77th and 74th could step up there. One reason we have the #94 with such an unbalance service is because theres no mid city garage like Archer. Lawndale becoming Chicago garage took away from that same area so it lacks now. We wouldnt have these crazy pullouts like #54b out of chicago if the area was served better. Can help but think about the pullout miles. Maybe one day this will be addressed. The Stevenson corridor has lots of land and it would be easy to base a bus operation there. We shall see

Moving the 87 to 103rd doesn't make sense, as it would be a longer deadhead without much benefit. But I definitely agree with moving the 4 to 103rd, and maybe also the 3 if it gets extended to 115th/Michigan (if there's space of course). I think the 54B should be moved to 77th so that instead of deadheading, it can run as a 79 trip to the garage.

Speaking of the Dan Ryan shutdown, people have been speaking of the possibility of a shutdown of the Congress branch of the Blue Line. I guess that's another situation where the surplus artics could be used. But I'm not sure where those artics would be stored, as Kedzie is over capacity, Chicago is mostly full, and the other garages are too far.

I agree CTA needs another garage in the central area. It would have been nice if Archer wasn't shut down, but I think the land ended up being developed into a shopping complex. But I don't see CTA building a new garage anytime soon, especially with 74th and 77th operating below capacity.

3 hours ago, Anthony Devera said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the management at Chicago and 77th decided to get rid of their artics because they were making routes much slower, and the remaining artic garages didn't really need more, so that's why we have the surplus. It would be best if Chicago and 77th would keep their artics; they both have routes that could really use them. And FG and 74th also have routes that could use them. If artics didn't work on the 66, how do they work on the 12? I left out the 79 because Chicago and Roosevelt are mostly 4-lane roads, while 79th is mostly a 2-lane road, and that might be a factor.

Instead of just normal 30' buses, I wonder if cutaway vans could be a solution for some routes. Those would be good for routes that run on narrow streets (96, 172), and they would be more fuel-efficient than a 30' bus.

It'd be more efficient to run the 96 on Pratt. Or just cut the route.

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

The 54B isn't out of necessity however, 74th, 77th and even Kedzie could all run that route better and all but Kedzie has the space to do so. 54B doesn't even operate with more than 8 buses at a time, even during rush

56 minutes ago, Anthony Devera said:

Moving the 87 to 103rd doesn't make sense, as it would be a longer deadhead without much benefit. But I definitely agree with moving the 4 to 103rd, and maybe also the 3 if it gets extended to 115th/Michigan (if there's space of course). I think the 54B should be moved to 77th so that instead of deadheading, it can run as a 79 trip to the garage.

Speaking of the Dan Ryan shutdown, people have been speaking of the possibility of a shutdown of the Congress branch of the Blue Line. I guess that's another situation where the surplus artics could be used. But I'm not sure where those artics would be stored, as Kedzie is over capacity, Chicago is mostly full, and the other garages are too far.

I agree CTA needs another garage in the central area. It would have been nice if Archer wasn't shut down, but I think the land ended up being developed into a shopping complex. But I don't see CTA building a new garage anytime soon, especially with 74th and 77th operating below capacity.

I've always seen the 3 and 4 operating easily out of 103rd if the buses allowed it as well. I think 54B would be better at 74th, less distance to deadhead. And 79 doesn't run EB Wentworth trips.

I definitely think that a new garage is needed. Or maybe moving an existing one. There's some seemingly vacant lots off Ashland/Pershing or Morgan/Pershing that could be viable, but that's just from my once over.

14 hours ago, BusHunter said:

I just dont get why they dont put a few artics here a few artics there and mix them with the 40 foot buses. There are alot of routes that could use artics, and not running them on 63rd is no excuse because you could put a few 77th operators there. The yard is 14 blocks away..alot of south side service is getting heavy ridership. I have seen this driving out there. Where are the #4 artics 63rd and cottage is busy. The #55 couldnt use artics?? If indeed they are sitting around that's a royal waste. Those buses are hybrids for the most part they are saving gas. Why run junky #6400s, that makes no sense only to parts dealers. Long ago they had a good plan with short buses but bought from the wrong company. Take a page from Pace they are running alot of divisions on 30 foot buses. Cta could be saving that money. The #48 doesnt need a 40 foot bus. The #43 or #31 dont. The #55A dont. The #68 or #88 doesnt. Spreading buses around the city and usng them according to ridership is smart. Well have to see what happens. 

CTA hasn't run the 6400s for the past couple of months, and there's no indication that they are going to do so now as operations shift into the summer pick two weeks from today. 

18 minutes ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

CTA bus number 1883 got into a crash earlier today after being stolen by the crazy protesters that are robbing places.

Don't spread rumors and actually get your information from factual sources.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2020/6/1/21277207/cta-bus-crashes-rogers-park-building-1-injured

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

Oh, I know what I did wrong, thanks for telling me a bus driver got into the crash and not protesters. I thought it was protesters but now I know I am wrong and thanks for telling me a bus driver was driving it.

Dam I hope everybody cool

I am no longer posting here. But when an emergency situation occurs when transit service is no longer operational, I will claim an exemption.
Lots of people have been really stupid the last four years. This includes people whose political beliefs are on both sides of the aisle. [N.B.: I am a Political Science graduate of UIC(C). I know what I talk about.]

The last time my Ventra® card was hit was in the early morning hours of 12 March, on the last route #54 Cicero bus which ran through from 24th Place to Montrose. I was returning from a sexpositive assemblage at Draft Picks in Naperville, IL. via the BNSF Metra train line. (I do not know how to react contemplating how many sexpositive persons would not interface with me because they were leary they would catch a horrible communicable disease for which there was no cure and a quizzical treatment, and they non-consensually caught one anyhow from people who were not sexpositive and would probably recoil in horror if they knew they themselves were into alternate sensual expressions.)
But that was not my last ride to date on a transit vehicle.
I miss being able to travel to my favorite craft beer venues. Sadly, some of them have already announced they will not reopen.
I re-dedicate myself to supporting small, independent restaurants via takeout orders. Especially at learning how much third-party delivery services like Grubhub® charge. So that means I send myself to these venues: On a CTA bus.
My father died back in October 2015. His heart eventually gave out. But, in his general prescriptive regiment, he was issued a bunch of surgical face masks and vinyl gloves. The abode here still has never been cleared out. So when this pandemic really rang on, the boxes with these items were pulled to the surface. Every time I go outside, I wear these. (I have been issued a face mask on one trip to Tokyo, Japan, so it is not that unusual for me.)
I've rode to venues on both Cicero Ave. and Belmont Ave., including noteworthy shops like Nottoli & Son Italian Sausage Shop & Deli. I have gone as distant from here to Cermak Rd. in Cicero, to have italian beef sandwiches from Scatchell's Italian Beef & Pizza. (And I threw in an impromptu shopping trip [because I needed a bathroom break] at the Aldi® across 47th Ave. which turned out to be highly satisfying when it was blowing out 4-pack 16-oz. cans of a craft beer which I loved, but had not glimpsed at the Aldi's closer to the abode.)
On another outside jaunt, I was on a southbound #54 bus from Belmont to Fullerton between the weekday rush hours to shop at Dollar Tree and to buy a pizza from Cochiaro's Pizza for dinner. The operator of my 40-foot bus stopped on the northwest corner of Cicero & Fullerton {blowing the signal} to let me off. She then blew past the posted stop for the route because she felt social distancing was impossible at that moment on the bus.
That is the prime reason for 60-footers on #54 Cicero.

Separately: Forest Glen garage could cut back the #56 Milwaukee route to Jefferson Park to Logan Square. But then, it would not have a route operating into the Central Business District. Would you reassign the #151 Sheridan runs from Belmont|Halsted to Union Station to it for this purpose? (Would 40-footers be sufficient for it?)
The Logan Square station does not need multiple bays for route #76 Diversey. If we have to stress to riders the necessity to read and listen to destinations on a bus route, we should.

7 hours ago, pudgym29 said:

I am no longer posting here. But when an emergency situation occurs when transit service is no longer operational, I will claim an exemption.
Lots of people have been really stupid the last four years. This includes people whose political beliefs are on both sides of the aisle. [N.B.: I am a Political Science graduate of UIC(C). I know what I talk about.]

The last time my Ventra® card was hit was in the early morning hours of 12 March, on the last route #54 Cicero bus which ran through from 24th Place to Montrose. I was returning from a sexpositive assemblage at Draft Picks in Naperville, IL. via the BNSF Metra train line. (I do not know how to react contemplating how many sexpositive persons would not interface with me because they were leary they would catch a horrible communicable disease for which there was no cure and a quizzical treatment, and they non-consensually caught one anyhow from people who were not sexpositive and would probably recoil in horror if they knew they themselves were into alternate sensual expressions.)
But that was not my last ride to date on a transit vehicle.
I miss being able to travel to my favorite craft beer venues. Sadly, some of them have already announced they will not reopen.
I re-dedicate myself to supporting small, independent restaurants via takeout orders. Especially at learning how much third-party delivery services like Grubhub® charge. So that means I send myself to these venues: On a CTA bus.
My father died back in October 2015. His heart eventually gave out. But, in his general prescriptive regiment, he was issued a bunch of surgical face masks and vinyl gloves. The abode here still has never been cleared out. So when this pandemic really rang on, the boxes with these items were pulled to the surface. Every time I go outside, I wear these. (I have been issued a face mask on one trip to Tokyo, Japan, so it is not that unusual for me.)
I've rode to venues on both Cicero Ave. and Belmont Ave., including noteworthy shops like Nottoli & Son Italian Sausage Shop & Deli. I have gone as distant from here to Cermak Rd. in Cicero, to have italian beef sandwiches from Scatchell's Italian Beef & Pizza. (And I threw in an impromptu shopping trip [because I needed a bathroom break] at the Aldi® across 47th Ave. which turned out to be highly satisfying when it was blowing out 4-pack 16-oz. cans of a craft beer which I loved, but had not glimpsed at the Aldi's closer to the abode.)
On another outside jaunt, I was on a southbound #54 bus from Belmont to Fullerton between the weekday rush hours to shop at Dollar Tree and to buy a pizza from Cochiaro's Pizza for dinner. The operator of my 40-foot bus stopped on the northwest corner of Cicero & Fullerton {blowing the signal} to let me off. She then blew past the posted stop for the route because she felt social distancing was impossible at that moment on the bus.
That is the prime reason for 60-footers on #54 Cicero.

Separately: Forest Glen garage could cut back the #56 Milwaukee route to Jefferson Park to Logan Square. But then, it would not have a route operating into the Central Business District. Would you reassign the #151 Sheridan runs from Belmont|Halsted to Union Station to it for this purpose? (Would 40-footers be sufficient for it?)
The Logan Square station does not need multiple bays for route #76 Diversey. If we have to stress to riders the necessity to read and listen to destinations on a bus route, we should.

the 76 has its own 1 bay

• 2 weeks later...