More Bus Moves

sw4400

3 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

Yeah we have about 20 or so now after just,having 12 the week before. The problem with the 9 and 49 getting artics is the overall demand and push back from the union which led to 77th getting some. NP can only do so much and then you'll also have to factor in this as well. Would they be special runs just for artics or would they intertwine with 74th's?

Whichever garage, it'd be special runs (if I'm understanding how they work correctly). NP's artics aren't necessary for the routes they're running right now, I know the 22, 146, 147, 151 can't be that crowded, and especially not in comparison to the 9 & 49, proven by the fact that they still pull artics off those 4 routes to use for the LaSalle & Michigan Express and replace them with shoeboxs

26 minutes ago, Javi78 said:

With the 6400s getting pulled off the streets due to bus drivers safety during this pandemic, and all service operating at regular schedules and runs and no service cuts, would it make sense for the CTA to officially retire the remaining nova 6400s? No garage is short on buses, these moves seem to work perfect proving that those 6400s were never needed in the past year. Now with the artics, why are artics running at 77th and Chicago garage? Would these be long term assignments too? 

Not sure about the longevity of these assignments and I'm willing to be the answer is no (maybe not for Chicago, but they'd have to shift a bunch of routes from Kedzie, so still probably no). These assignments are in response to union outcry of people not maintaining social distancing on routes as buses entered the south and west sides (never mind that the union was partially blaming the riders, who are more likely than not, essential workers). To that effect, Kedzie sent about 30-40 of their artics to 77th & Chicago to help alleviate crowding on the 4, 20, 53 (which I didn't even know was an issue, but should've expected), 79 and to a lesser extent, the 3 & 8. Kedzie has also bumped up service on the 12 and 82, who are seeing artics outside of their usual times (12 usually has them on weekends, the 82 during PM rush and they now have about 3 at most times during the day). I am unsure if Chicago & 77th sent shoeboxes in exchange or if this is just a loan.

4 hours ago, Mr.cta85 said:

I saw 1204 inside of 103rd as I was pulling in last night. I’m not yet sure if that bus is a loaner or not of if it’s more but I do know that 77th has 4194 and 4196. I’ll keep an eye out for more possible changes.

Maybe a loaner or just maybe a replacement for either 1 of the artics that 3 sent 

15 hours ago, Javi78 said:

With the 6400s getting pulled off the streets due to bus drivers safety during this pandemic, and all service operating at regular schedules and runs and no service cuts, would it make sense for the CTA to officially retire the remaining nova 6400s? No garage is short on buses, these moves seem to work perfect proving that those 6400s were never needed in the past year. Now with the artics, why are artics running at 77th and Chicago garage? Would these be long term assignments too? 

There have been service cuts. Comparing 8am on 3/4/2020 to 8am on 4/8/2020 (both Wednesdays), On 3/4 there were 1363 buses in service, on 4/8 this had dropped to 1058 - 305 fewer buses. (Data obtained from Maths 22 tracker).

I have looked at changes by route and that is attached - again 8am 3/4 and 4/8

Covid changes by route.xlsx

2 hours ago, busfan2847 said:

There have been service cuts. Comparing 8am on 3/4/2020 to 8am on 4/8/2020 (both Wednesdays), On 3/4 there were 1363 buses in service, on 4/8 this had dropped to 1058 - 305 fewer buses. (Data obtained from Maths 22 tracker).

I have looked at changes by route and that is attached - again 8am 3/4 and 4/8

Covid changes by route.xlsx 13.37 kB · 9 downloads

The file is corrupted. Also, how many 6400s are left in service? I imagine this accounted for some of the 305 drop off

18 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

The file is corrupted. Also, how many 6400s are left in service? I imagine this accounted for some of the 305 drop off

I can open it, but try a PDF version, attached.

There are no 6400s being used in passenger service. I had 75 left which are now stored.

6843 was the last in service being used by 103rd on 111 on 3/30 pm. Forest Glen last used them on 3/25.

Covid changes by route.pdf

4 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

yea and 103rd gave some 60fts to 7

Wow, there's only 2 4300s running out of 103rd

Overall trends:

• Maybe cause I'm checking at the end of rush, but artic usage is down on the 77th & Chicago routes that had them
  • The 12 is seeing increased use of artics
  • That 1 artic is back on the 54. Same driver maybe?
  • Some of Chicago's artics are being used for overnight service on the 20 & 53

4 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Wow, there's only 2 4300s running out of 103rd

Overall trends:

• Maybe cause I'm checking at the end of rush, but artic usage is down on the 77th & Chicago routes that had them
  • The 12 is seeing increased use of artics
  • That 1 artic is back on the 54. Same driver maybe?
  • Some of Chicago's artics are being used for overnight service on the 20 & 53

Overnight rins always been a trend with Chicago and 77th as far as artics due to the way the vehicles are scheduled. They probably figured it's easier to relieve and keep a bus on the road. 66 and 79 used to have 24/7 artics before they got purged to 103rd, kedzie and NP

9 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Overnight rins always been a trend with Chicago and 77th as far as artics due to the way the vehicles are scheduled. They probably figured it's easier to relieve and keep a bus on the road. 66 and 79 used to have 24/7 artics before they got purged to 103rd, kedzie and NP

Yea C definitely always used a artic on 66 anytime of day & night then just lost all of them for some reason

12 hours ago, Sam92 said:

I think it was easier to consolidate the artics at the three garages where nearly all if the operators were trained on them.  At 7 and C, if a strained operator didn't want to drive the artics, he could just bid off of the 66 or 79, or transfer to 74th or Forest Glen.  

Secondly,  the traveling time on those routes actually increased with the artics due to increasing dwell times at stops. 

Just before 7 gave up its artics. 79th St buses were detoured to 83rd between Damen and Western.   83fd Street is a narrow arterial which made for difficult turns. 

I’ve noticed a few bus moves as of lately. A few of 77th 1200’s have migrated to 103rd. It may be more but I seen with my own eyes 1204, 05, 09, 1213 and 1215 too I believe. 103rd also have Artics from NP 4069, and 4118 I don’t know what’s that about but I know I saw 4110, 4194, and 4196 at 77 as well. Probably a even swap between 103rd and 77th. But NP is a mystery lol.

5 hours ago, Mr.cta85 said:

I’ve noticed a few bus moves as of lately. A few of 77th 1200’s have migrated to 103rd. It may be more but I seen with my own eyes 1204, 05, 09, 1213 and 1215 too I believe. 103rd also have Artics from NP 4069, and 4118 I don’t know what’s that about but I know I saw 4110, 4194, and 4196 at 77 as well. Probably a even swap between 103rd and 77th. But NP is a mystery lol.

4069 & 4118 was just at C I see they sent that to 3