More Bus Moves

sw4400

I know this wouldn't happen but what I don't understand is why hasn't 74th received any artics during this pandemic or at least runs filled on Ashland and Western from NP or 77th? Routes 9 and 49 could really use them during the day.Having 4 or 5 on each route wouldn't hurt much at this point. 

1 minute ago, YoungBusLover said:

I know this wouldn't happen but what I don't understand is why hasn't 74th received any artics during this pandemic or at least runs filled on Ashland from NP or 77th? Routes 9 and 49 could really use them during the day.Having 4 or 5 on each route wouldn't hurt much at this point. 

74th doesn't have lifts for artics, but I am surprised NP hasn't filled in. Not like the 146, 147 or 151 absolutely need their artics. Or even the 136 that's currently running. The 22 seems to have a lot, but more than it needs.

Just now, NewFlyerMCI said:

74th doesn't have lifts for artics, but I am surprised NP hasn't filled in. Not like the 146, 147 or 151 absolutely need their artics. Or even the 136 that's currently running. The 22 seems to have a lot, but more than it needs.

I'm not saying as far as storage but just filling runs on those two routes I mentioned. Easily NP could end artics on Western since 74th and NP share that street but Ashland is the longest route in the system and needs some support in a way.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

I know this wouldn't happen but what I don't understand is why hasn't 74th received any artics during this pandemic or at least runs filled on Ashland and Western from NP or 77th? Routes 9 and 49 could really use them during the day.Having 4 or 5 on each route wouldn't hurt much at this point. 

6 ain't got the lifts for them

22 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

he is talking bout starting a trip at 74th and ashland or something and come to berwyn and back and back to western and end there 

More like starting at Clark/Belle Plaine and going to 95th then returning or starting at Western/Berwyn, going to Western/79th and returning. The runs would start from NP, not 6

7 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

More like starting at Clark/Belle Plaine and going to 95th then returning or starting at Western/Berwyn, going to Western/79th and returning. The runs would start from NP, not 6

Yes, that is exactly what i'm referring to. I didn't clarify my point correctly.   

As I stated already, I'm not saying 74th could store artics but as far getting runs filled by artics is where i'm getting at.

Bet got you now bro & they could store em in my opinion if they are just sitting around like the Nova's at night but yea it done make sense but P could run some artics on that route

59 minutes ago, CTA5750 said:

I figured Covid had something to do with it. Thank you! 

I do the J14 and personally I think this route could use 40fters only cause the ridership on this route has dipped drastically and it's no need for this route to still have all these artics on it. 

13 minutes ago, Mr.cta85 said:

I do the J14 and personally I think this route could use 40fters only cause the ridership on this route has dipped drastically and it's no need for this route to still have all these artics on it. 

I would figure analytics would mean something during this pandemic but it doesn't sadly along with common sense from the CTA, you have a surplus of artics being underutilized throughout the system and ridership is down 80%, throw more artics on essential corridor routes that still have a decent amount of ridership with a few 40 footers sprinkled throughout and put 40 footers on LSD corridor routes, its just that simple to do. 

• Upvote 2

I would figure analytics would mean something during this pandemic but it doesn't sadly along with common sense from the CTA, you have a surplus of artics being underutilized throughout the system and ridership is down 80%, throw more artics on essential corridor routes that still have a decent amount of ridership with a few 40 footers sprinkled throughout and put 40 footers on LSD corridor routes, its just that simple to do. 

Yeah, this has just been astounding. From what I've gathered, the 3, 4, 8, 9, 20, 34, 49 & 79 are all still seeing medium-sized loads (keeping in mind that a lot of those routes serve areas hit the hardest by COVID-19), it should've been a no-brainer weeks ago to send the artics south. Instead we have empty 156s and highly underutilized 26s & 147s

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Yeah, this has just been astounding. From what I've gathered, the 3, 4, 8, 9, 20, 34, 49 & 79 are all still seeing medium-sized loads (keeping in mind that a lot of those routes serve areas hit the hardest by COVID-19), it should've been a no-brainer weeks ago to send the artics south. Instead we have empty 156s and highly underutilized 26s & 147s

The only reason the 9 doesn't have artics is that 74th doesn't have lifts in their garage to accommodate these artics.  Also keep in mind that the 49 is majority 74th.  I've only seen North Park buses on the 49 Monday through Friday a.m. through p.m rush.  Late night, owl,  and weekend service. from what I've seen,  is exclusively 74th.  Certainly P could use artics on its runs on Western.   The question is whether 74th drivers can operate artics, but have those buses serviced at 77th or 103rd. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

The only reason the 9 doesn't have artics is that 74th doesn't have lifts in their garage to accommodate these artics.  Also keep in mind that the 49 is majority 74th.  I've only seen North Park buses on the 49 Monday through Friday a.m. through p.m rush.  Late night, owl,  and weekend service. from what I've seen,  is exclusively 74th.  Certainly P could use artics on its runs on Western.   The question is whether 74th drivers can operate artics, but have those buses serviced at 77th or 103rd. 

they don’t have to be 74th’s operators they could be P’s since the artic is coming out of P start at berwyn and end at 79th and come back north

35 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

But what do we do about Ashland that's straight 74th

103rd after the redline shut down years ago sent a few runs with artics as helpers along the 9 but I doubt that they would do that now and I highly doubt operators from NP or 103rd would want to operate a few trips on Ashland especially if they're unfamiliar with the area. 

59 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

As I've stated before, I'm aware of the lift incompatibility issue but I wasn't stating that 74th should have artics of there own but more so have artics fill runs on the 9 and 49 but you do raise a good point about 74th's operators being able to operate them along with where would those artics go after a long day in service. It's a good problem to ponder on to say the least, 77th is closer than NP and that would be a long deadhead trip back to the northside for a NP operator unless they're pulling in from Berwyn. If it were me I would do what 77th is currently doing and start training all operators from 74th on artics just for the simple fact that if CTA did decide to send artics down Ashland and Western or any other one of 74th's routes everyone would have some experience with them at least. Were currently training until the end of the month on artics so maybe just maybe 74th can follow suit theoretically speaking. 

• Upvote 1