CTA Rail Service Alerts

sw4400

Ted Fujita, who was easily the world's #1 tornado expert believed that tornadoes can't hit the central core of cities with 1,000,000 population or larger, due to the heat island effect.

Several tornadoes have hit Gary Indiana, but all stopped before getting to the steel mills, apparently due to all the heat from the blast furnaces.

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/The-312/April-2011/Can-a-Tornado-Hit-Downtown-Chicago/?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Reader+tweet+14947+Apr%2009%202015%2014:20

I remember a tornado hitting the core of downtown Atlanta, affecting CNN and a few other places. I believe there was March Madness going on at the Georgia Dome and an NBA game in progress at Phillips ARena. Seemingly it touched down downtown, thus no skyscrapers were tossed.

Most tornadoes seem to need a lot of land and open space to do its damage. That is why states like Oklahoma, Kansas, ARkansas, Tennesee, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia form Tornado Allley In the case of the last three states, tornadoes occur well away from the Gulf of Mexico. I should also include Florida.

4/17/15 7:49p

Upcoming Rail Alert For 4/17/15 @ 8p until 4/20/15 @ 4a

Rail Line(s) Affected: Brown

Level Of Service Interruption: Planned Work w/Reroute

Information: Brown Line trains will be rerouted to the State St. Subway between Fullerton and Downtown. Board/Exit Brown Line trains at any State St. Subway station between North/Clybourn and Roosevelt.

• Service to/from Armitage, Sedgwick, Chicago and Merchandise Mart, free Shuttle Buses will operate between Fullerton and Clark/Lake, making stops at or near the affected stations.
  • A Shuttle Train will operate around the Loop Elevated, on the Brown Line side for connections to Brown Line service in the State St. Subway and the Shuttle Buses at Clark/Lake(Blue)

This is due to structural improvements to remove slow zones and improve rail service on the Brown Line as part of the Ravenswood Connector Rehabilitation Project.

4/17/15 8:33p

Upcoming Rail Alert For 4/18/15 @ 6a until 6p

Level Of Service Interruption: --

Information: Kimball-bound Brown Line trains will not stop at Diversey.

• Service To Diversey: Take a Kimball-bound train to Wellington and transfer to a Roosevelt-bound train(Reroute)
  • Service From Diversey: Take a Roosevelt-bound train(Reroute) to Fullerton and transfer to a Kimball-bound train.
  • At Fullerton: Board/Exit Kimball-bound trains on the Red Line side of the Howard and Kimball platform.

This is due to track maintenance to ensure that trains continue to operate safely along the Brown Line.

I remember a tornado hitting the core of downtown Atlanta, affecting CNN and a few other places. I believe there was March Madness going on at the Georgia Dome and an NBA game in progress at Phillips ARena. Seemingly it touched down downtown, thus no skyscrapers were tossed.

Most tornadoes seem to need a lot of land and open space to do its damage. That is why states like Oklahoma, Kansas, ARkansas, Tennesee, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia form Tornado Allley In the case of the last three states, tornadoes occur well away from the Gulf of Mexico. I should also include Florida.

Atlanta doesn't have a million people in the city itself.

Just a reminder that it's now Chicago Bridge Lift Season. On Wednesdays and Saturdays the movable bridges along the Chicago River around downtown will open and close to accommodate the various boats that want to enter and exit Lake Michigan. Green, Pink, and Brown Line trains can be affected by the lifts on both days, while Purple Line Express trains can be affected on Wednesdays. The bridge movements can take up to 12 minutes.

Edited by MTRSP1900-CTA3200

Just a reminder that it's now Chicago Bridge Lift Season. On Wednesdays and Saturdays the movable bridges along the Chicago River around downtown will open and close to accommodate the various boats that want to enter and exit Lake Michigan. Green, Pink, and Brown Line trains can be affected by the lifts on both days, while Purple Line Express trains can be affected on Wednesdays. The bridge movements can take up to 12 minutes.

​The first of many: The CTA is reporting delays on the Green and Pink Lines due to bridge lifts. The alert was posted around 12:35 PM.

In the latest brown line alert for bridge lifts, the CTA mentioned checking destination signs to see if a train is getting turned back early at Mart. Do they actually have a sign for "only going to Mart?" I've never seen it roll by before, but I'm not sure what else they could mean.

• 2 weeks later...

5/1/15 9:26p

Upcoming Rail Alert For 5/1/15 @ 8p until 5/4/15 @ 4a

Information: Brown Line trains will be rerouted to the State St. Subway between Fullerton and Downtown. Board/Exit Brown Line trains at any State St. Subway station between North/Clybourn and Roosevelt.

• Service to/from Armitage, Sedgwick, Chicago and Merchandise Mart, free Shuttle Buses will operate between Fullerton and Clark/Lake, making stops at or near the affected stations.
  • A Shuttle Train will operate around the Loop Elevated, on the Brown Line side for connections to Brown Line service in the State St. Subway and the Shuttle Buses at Clark/Lake(Blue)

This is due to structural improvements to remove slow zones and improve rail service on the Brown Line as part of the Ravenswood Connector Rehabilitation Project.

5/1/15 9:28p

Upcoming Rail Alert for 5/2/15 @ 7a until 5p

Rail Line(s) Affected: Green

Level Of Service Interruption: Minor Delays

Information: Trains in both directions will operate on the same track between Conservatory-Central Park Drive and Laramie. Board/Exit all trains on the 63rd-bound platform at Pulaski and Cicero.

5/8/15 11:27a

Upcoming Rail Alert For 5/8/15 @ 8p until 5/11/15 @ 4a

5/8/15 11:28a

Upcoming Rail Alert For 5/9/15 @‌ 6a until 6p

Rail Line(s) Affected: Red

Level Of Service Interruption: --

Information: Howard-bound trains will not stop at Addison.

• Service to Addison: Take a Howard-bound train to Sheridan and transfer to a 95th-bound train.
  • Service from Addison: Take a 95th-bound train to Belmont and transfer to a Howard-bound train.

This is due to signal improvements that will allow trains to operate more efficiently along the Red Line.

This doesn't make sense to me. Am I reading it wrong?

​Howard-bound trains run right past Addison without stopping, so if you have to go North from Addison, you have to go south to Belmont where they are stopping and get on. If you have to get off at Addison, you have to go to Sheridan where they are stopping and go back South.

• Upvote 1

5/15/15 7:26p

Upcoming Rail Alert For 5/15/15 @ 8p until 5/18/15 @ 4a

​The picture is pretty incredible.  I imagine it will be out for awhile well they fix it.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-yellow-line-cta-20150518-story.html

​That isn't "some fill got undermined." Essentially the track is collapsed, and they will have to build a new embankment or structure. Sort of sounds from the article that the MWRD will have to fix it.

I guess that kind of scenario was what they were warning about on the RPM embankment.

• Upvote 1

​That isn't "some fill got undermined." Essentially the track is collapsed, and they will have to build a new embankment or structure. Sort of sounds from the article that the MWRD will have to fix it.

I guess that kind of scenario was what they were warning about on the RPM embankment.

​I'm not familiar with the yellow line, did this occur before or after the Skokie shops?  If it is before, I imagine this will significantly affect the ability to get new 5000s in service & other regular maintenance.

​I'm not familiar with the yellow line, did this occur before or after the Skokie shops?  If it is before, I imagine this will significantly affect the ability to get new 5000s in service & other regular maintenance.

​East of it. So, your conclusion appears correct.

Google Map.  The pin is at the approximate point of the collapse (the embankment must be west of McCormick), and the bus stop at 3720 Oakton St. is in front of Skokie Shops.

• Upvote 1