CTA Rail Service Alerts

sw4400

I'm assuming Harlem-O'Hare. Either way, that's very weird.

If it was Harlem-Forest Park that would be one big delay.

Either one would be very absurd, but the driver said "we're standing for a few minutes due to a delay behind us" when we were at Damen. Makes no sense.

Forest Park bound Blue Line trains are standing at Harlem due to a sick customer. Somehow this is also causing all trains between Harlem and at least Damen to be delayed. Not sure how a delay affects trains in front of it, but it is.

They said the same thing on my train at California/milwaukee. 

They said the same thing on my train at California/milwaukee. 

Either one would be very absurd, but the driver said "we're standing for a few minutes due to a delay behind us" when we were at Damen. Makes no sense.

The only explanation I could come up with: somehow delaying both of your trains evens out the gaps in service due to the actual problem train.

• Upvote 2

They might actually be taking a page from the MTA's book. Check out this video the MTA posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eShtZSx4kWc

It seems like for the CTA it might be better to run the delayed one express a couple stops, especially because of how little ridership they have at that time of day. This was off-peak evening service so there were very few people waiting at each station. I don't think MTA can run trains express on the fly like CTA does, given their strange express-local setup.

image.thumb.jpg.79aaa594a72ffe7cf608bc7bBlue Line train showing Rosemont signs.image.thumb.jpg.fa000dd1a4600b450ba4b6114347 deadheading down the Kennedy to Rosemont, seen near Harlem.

image.jpg7 or 8 buses lined up in the Hotel shuttle area at O'Hare

image.jpgMost buses were Forest Glen Novas showing L shuttle signs. These were probably the first to arrive, used until artics can get there.

image.jpgA large crowd waits to board 4347 at Rosemont. They were using the first 3 bus bays exclusively for the shuttle.

Edited by Pace831
  • Upvote 3

Man, when they said "blue line service is suspended" they really meant literally suspended

OPChFnF.png

That's actually how the forum displayed the picture to me. Chicago is proud to present the brand-new Suspended Monorail system.

Uh oh! Were all 5 photos upside down ? They seem correct to me.

Uh oh! Were all 5 photos upside down ? They seem correct to me.

No, just that one was. The thumbnail is fine and the "Full Size" view is fine, but for some reason when you enlarge them they show as upside down.

EDIT: Correction, all but one were upside down. The second one was right-side-up but the rest went upside down when I clicked to enlarge them. Weird...

Edited by briman94

It seems like for the CTA it might be better to run the delayed one express a couple stops, especially because of how little ridership they have at that time of day. This was off-peak evening service so there were very few people waiting at each station. I don't think MTA can run trains express on the fly like CTA does, given their strange express-local setup.

New York almost never runs a train express because of delays. If they can run around a standing train by using the express tracks, they will do that. But for many years policy has been that a train must never pass up a scheduled stop. The only exception is that if a train has been discharged (passengers taken off due to door or other safety issues) then the train is run empty to the terminal or yard. But a train with passengers aboard must make all scheduled stops that it comes past.

• 2 weeks later...

Red, Green and Pink Line trains all have service adjustments this weekend.

Southbound/95th bound Red Line trains will not stop at Jarvis, Morse, and Loyola, so their first stop will be Granville. Northbound/Howard bound Red Line trains will make normal stops at these stations, meaning that they are the only trains accessible from the affected stations during this work. CTA Info Page on the Red Line work.

Lake Street Bridge work affects the Green and Pink Lines. Pink Line trains will only run from 54th/Cermak to Clinton, and will not be able to reach the Loop. Green Line trains will operate in two sections. Trains will operate between Harlem and Clinton, and trains from the 63rd branches will also operate, however when reaching the Loop, they will go clockwise around it like an Orange Line train. In addition, a free bus shuttle will operate between Clark/Lake and Clinton, and a Loop Shuttle train will operate counter clockwise around the Loop, sharing tracks with Brown Line trains. CTA Info Page on the Lake Street Bridge work.

Anybody know what happened? Split switch maybe?

http://wgntv.com/2015/10/31/cta-red-line-service-suspended-between-howard-and-belmont-due-to-train-derailment/

From the second picture, it does look like the train was switching tracks. It says it was near Granville, so that would make sense with the track work this weekend requiring trains to switch tracks there.

Update:

Red Line service has been temporarily suspended between Granville and Loyola due to a derailment.

As a result, trains are operating only between Granville/95th, and between Loyola/Howard only.

Shuttle trains will provide connecting service between Addison/Granville, and Loyola/Howard.

Shuttle buses are available to provide connecting service between Granville and Loyola.

Passengers may use #22, #36, #147, and #151 buses as alternatives to Red Line service.

See station personnel for further assistance, and pay attention to announcements on trains and at stations for service information.

We are working to restore service as quickly as possible. Allow extra travel time.

I don't understand the part that I underlined. Are they saying they are running some trains between Addison and Granville instead of all the way to 95th, or that you have to transfer at Addison to get from Granville to 95th?

Anybody know what happened? Split switch maybe?

I happened to be waiting for a NB 36 at Granville just 30 minutes ago & heard some CTA employees say it may take all night to restore service. The train was still there at 4:30 PM, but was gone at 6:00 PM.

The Red Line shuttles are running bunched up & combine that with the construction work at Broadway/Granville, it's a real mess.

• Upvote 2

I happened to be waiting for a NB 36 at Granville just 30 minutes ago & heard some CTA employees say it may take all night to restore service. The train was still there at 4:30 PM, but was gone at 6:00 PM.

The Red Line shuttles are running bunched up & combine that with the construction work at Broadway/Granville, it's a real mess.

It probably damaged the track near the switch. In the picture that ThirdRailVision posted, it looks like the first car picked the switch and successfully navigated it, but the second car didn't quite make it. I don't think it was supposed to cross that middle crossover; they weren't doing opposing-direction travel were they? Just bypassing the local track at Granville?

http://wgntv.com/2015/10/31/cta-red-line-service-suspended-between-howard-and-belmont-due-to-train-derailment/

From the second picture, it does look like the train was switching tracks. It says it was near Granville, so that would make sense with the track work this weekend requiring trains to switch tracks there.

Third time at that location. and under similar conditions. I'm sure someone is going to say this is normal.