CTA Rail Service Alerts

sw4400

10 minutes ago, ajm522 said:

Green and Pink Line Trains disrupted between Clinton and California and Pink Line Trains are rerouted to the Blue Line tracks due to fire department activity. Now we can say the Blue Line has 5000's for the time being lol 

Apparently only for 1/2 mile as alert says only to Racine.I guess they have to provide a transfer point.

3 hours ago, Pace831 said:

It could have been a misquote , but I agree that's not something to joke about. He makes it sound like the whole subway is so full of smoke that you can't breathe, and certainly some on the train wouldn't question that scenario. Worst case, a few people panicking would pull the cherry and everyone else follows them out of the train with no authorities there to guide them.

The last point essentially gets to the Blue Line derailment of 2006 (NTSB report), which was smoke in the subway, and people had to evacuate when the subway lights were inadequate and the firefighters had to use hatches in the sidewalk to evacuate some passengers, So, while one may have a beef about the operator's diction, it isn't a frivolous matter.

• 3 weeks later...

Back to this major delay they had at rush hour tonight at Sedgwick/brown. They said some unauthorized person was on the tracks but the delay was like 45 minutes before I bailed on the brown. The Nb was at a standstill at the mart. They had two purples back to back, one was stuck on the wells bridge and it seemed like the sb service was getting through. As more trains were fed into the loop, I was thinking I wonder what happens after the back up goes past tower 18 because ultimately then the brown and purples problem becomes everyone's problem on the loop "L" (orange, green, pink) So what they did that was really smart was they relooped the brown line that was in the loop. (i thought maybe they could send the trains out to Midway or to the middle track south of Roosevelt/Green.) I didn't know they had a tower 18, west to south switch. So the train i was on and had got off passed me again. The operator said they were relooping the brown line which some lady looked at me and said huh?? She got on a purple line, (I was at Wash/Wells) her purple line went up to tower 18 and stopped because the other two purples were still at the mart for like 30 minutes now. Eventually her train moved but i don't know if it was relooped. So some excitement tonight I guess.

2 hours ago, BusHunter said:

...So what they did that was really smart was they relooped the brown line that was in the loop. (i thought maybe they could send the trains out to Midway or to the middle track south of Roosevelt/Green.) I didn't know they had a tower 18, west to south switch. So the train i was on and had got off passed me again. The operator said they were relooping the brown line which some lady looked at me and said huh??...

They've had that track at Tower 18 for quite a while. I filmed two trains using it when the Wells Street Bridge was being worked on. Someone else on Youtube filmed a train on that track too, in the days before the Pink Line. It was an Orange Line using the track because they had to run counter-clockwise.

Did experience something on a Kimball-bound Brown Line this afternoon.... I was in car #5 and after departing Irving Park for Montrose, I heard a brief high-pitched beep and the motor cut out for like 2-3 seconds before coming back on(lights remained on, train briefly stopped halfway past Irving Park). I've heard the ATC in car #1 before, but this was 4 cars down. Any idea what that high-pitched beep was before the motor stoppage for a few seconds. No other issues with the train the rest of my ride.

Service on the Orange Line is experiencing delays. Trains in both directions are operating on the same track between Western and Kedzie stations due to a track condition. Board all trains on the Loop-bound side of the platform at the Kedzie and Pulaski stations.

Also, red line trains have resumed normal service after an "over the top" due to a mechanical problem at Lake.

• 2 weeks later...

Tower 18 meltdown this morning.

http://www.transitchicago.com/travel_information/alert_detail.aspx?AlertId=32650

Major delays are affecting service on the Loop 'L' due to switching problems near Clark/Lake. To reduce congestion on the Loop, the following reroutes are in effect:

• Some Brown Line and Purple Line Express trains are both using the Orange Line side on the Loop 'L'.
  • Brown and Purple Line Express trains from north of Fullerton are being rerouted into the Red Line subway from Fullerton to Roosevelt. Bus shuttle service is being instituted between Fullerton and Clark/Lake for service between affected stations.
  • Orange Line trains and Green Line trains from South Side terminals are operating only as far as Roosevelt. Change to Red Line subway at Roosevelt for continuing service into downtown. (Take Red Line to Roosevelt for connections to outbound service.)
  • Pink Line trains toward the Loop are being diverted onto the Blue Line thru Racine. Change at Racine for continuing Blue Line service into downtown. (Take Blue Line to Racine for outbound service.)
  • Green Line trains to downtown from Harlem (service from Forest Park, Oak Park and West Side) may operate only as far as Clinton. Bus shuttle service is in place between Clinton and Clark/Lake.

We appreciate your patience as we work to restore service. Allow extra travel time.

4 minutes ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

95th bound Red Line trains are going over the top at the moment due to an injured employee. The info page is here, but contrary to what the page says, trains will NOT be stopping at Madison/Wabash.

Tower 18 messed up and now they put Red Line trains through there? Armageddon must be on us.:S

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

95th bound Red Line trains are going over the top at the moment due to an injured employee. The info page is here, but contrary to what the page says, trains will NOT be stopping at Madison/Wabash.

WBBM said the employee fell off the platform onto the tracks in the State Street Subway.

1/29/16 12:39p

Rail Line(s) Affected: Red

Level Of Service Interruption: Service Partially Suspended

Information: Service has been temporarily suspended between 47th and 95th due to a medical emergency on the tracks. As a result, trains are operating in two sections:

• between 47th and Howard.

Alternate Service: Shuttle buses are available to provide connecting service through 47th and 95th.

Rail Alert Red Line January 29, 2016.jpg

I went on the CTA's website trying to find renderings of the Wilson station, but a service alert got my attention:

Pink Line trains are bypassing Kedzie station at the moment because of a medical emergency on the tracks. Originally there was no service between Pulaski and 54th/Cermak, but this may have been cleared up. Buses may be a good alternative for some.

15 minutes ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

I went on the CTA's website trying to find renderings of the Wilson station, but a service alert got my attention:

Pink Line trains are bypassing Kedzie station at the moment because of a medical emergency on the tracks. Originally there was no service between Pulaski and 54th/Cermak, but this may have been cleared up. Buses may be a good alternative for some.

Additionally, passengers must transfer at Damen to get from the loop to Pulaski. I guess they are turning trains near Damen and running a Damen-Pulaski shuttle, which doesn't go past Pulaski to maintain frequency during single-track operation.