CTA Rail Service Alerts

sw4400

3/31/16 1:03a

Rail Line(s) Affected: Red

Level Of Service Interruption: Significant Delays

Information: Trains are operating with Residual Delays after earlier congestion caused by signal problems at Howard.

Alternate Service: Shuttle buses are available between Belmont and Howard.

Rail Alert Red Line March 31, 2016.jpg

10 hours ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

Let's see if this works...

Edit: Unfortunately I can't share the group of photos since I can't find the link for that. I thought the photo above illustrates the service change the best.

I did a lot of digging and got the link. You need to sign into Facebook to see it: https://www.facebook.com/groups/120452714691417/

I added a couple video's and pictures.

Here's a couple videos of the old connector in revenue use back in the day.

Here are the two pictures I like the best from Facebook.

Thanks for your help.

12376653_10153988998780900_5046125296609651153_n.jpg

12417530_10153989003980900_8208296267658434788_n.jpg

22 minutes ago, Scionic said:

What's the CTA's reasoning for having Pink Line trains stop short at Racine and turn around, versus just resurrecting the pre-2006 Blue Line?  Is there just simply not enough capacity in the Blue Line subway?

Not enough operators are qualified on both Blue and Pink lines, which they would need to be to continue from Racine to O'Hare. Pink line training only includes the emergency detour to Racine.

3/31/16 11:23a

Rail Line(s) Affected: Brown

Level Of Service Interruption: Service Disrupted

Information: Brown Line service is experiencing delays due to a raised bridge at the Chicago River, downtown.

Some trains may be held in stations or turned back towards Kimball before reaching the bridge to maintain service across the remainder of the route.

Alternate Service: Bus shuttle service is in place between Merchandise Mart and Clark/Lake. Listen for announcements and check train destination signs when boarding.

Rail Alert Brown Line March 31, 2016.jpg

4 hours ago, rapidtransit said:

I did a lot of digging and got the link. You need to sign into Facebook to see it: https://www.facebook.com/groups/120452714691417/

I added a couple video's and pictures.

Here's a couple videos of the old connector in revenue use back in the day.

Here are the two pictures I like the best from Facebook.

Thanks for your help.

12376653_10153988998780900_5046125296609651153_n.jpg

12417530_10153989003980900_8208296267658434788_n.jpg

Why does that look like a 6 or 8 car pink line train? Are headways longer or something. There's actually so few pink lines from polk to 54th, I don't know why they just don't run the blue line #2600's to 54th. It's not like they don't have the signs. I even think the Pink line is on their roll signs if they wanted to be particular about it. It's not a question of spares trains either. Rosemont has plenty. I don't get why a #5000 operator would not be trained for a #2600. They are less technical and you would think be easier to run barring a few more defects.

• Upvote 1

Through routing Pink Line to O'Hare is not feasible, Pink Line service would begin to disrupt Blue Line headways. 6 cars are currently operating in 15 minute intervals to corrdenate with Blue Line service along the Forest Park branch.

Although Pink line headways seem lengthy at this point, it seems feasible as service is only operating on the Douglas main branch. 

One problem seems to be connecting service along the Wells and Van Buren legs of the loop. Outside of the Purple Line Express, there isn't a connecting clockwise service to temporarily replace Pink line loop service. The Orange Line provides clockwise service, but doesn't provide the Wabash -Van Buren connection currently provided by the Pink Line and Purple Line express.

For customers needing service to Van Buren from Wabash, one must travel an Orange Line to Roosevelt, transfer to a loop bound Orange Line to receive connecting service to Van Buren from Wabash.

4/3/16 12:14p

Rail Line(s) Affected: Pink

Level Of Service Interruption: --

Information: Normal service on the Pink Line has resumed. Service was disrupted due to damaged signal systems. Pink Line trains have resumed running between 54th/Cermak and the Loop elevated. Service to Racine on the Blue Line has been discontinued.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Busjack said:

Somehow, ABC7 thinks that Paulina and Lake is on the south or southwest sides.

Someone must didn't tell them that they're looking at the wrong side of Madison. xD They're on the correct side of State though.

4/6/16 1:25p

Rail Line(s) Affected: Yellow

Level Of Service Interruption: Service Suspended

Information: Service on the Yellow Line has been temporarily suspended due to a fire near the tracks. Cause of suspension of service is a small transformer fire on a pole in the 8400-block of Niles Center Road.

Alternate Service: Consider using the #97 Skokie buses as an alternative to Yellow Line service. Shuttle buses are also available to provide connecting service through the affected area(s).

Media Source(s): ABC7

Rail Alert Yellow Line April 6, 2016.jpg

1 hour ago, sw4400 said:

4/6/16 1:25p

Rail Line(s) Affected: Yellow

Level Of Service Interruption: Service Suspended

Information: Service on the Yellow Line has been temporarily suspended due to a fire near the tracks. Cause of suspension of service is a small transformer fire on a pole in the 8400-block of Niles Center Road.

Alternate Service: Consider using the #97 Skokie buses as an alternative to Yellow Line service. Shuttle buses are also available to provide connecting service through the affected area(s).

Rail Alert Yellow Line April 6, 2016.jpg

I had just gotten off an Evanston train from Linden at 12:22 PM when the PA announced that there wasn't any Skokie Swift service due to a fire at Oakton. So it appears even the secret CTA control center got it wrong.

I almost went to Dempster to get on the Swift but changed the way I went at the last minute, which turned out lucky for me.

BTW, what's with the map showing the former stations on the old Niles Center Branch?

• Upvote 1

4/7/16 8:45p

Rail Line(s) Affected: Blue

Level Of Service Interruption: Major Delays

Information: O'Hare-bound trains are standing near Jefferson Park due to a medical emergency on the tracks.

Service Interruption Update(8:59p): Service has been temporarily suspended between Harlem (O'Hare) and California due to a medical emergency on the tracks.

As a result, trains are operating in two sections:

• between O'Hare and Harlem (O'Hare)
  • between California and Forest Park

Alternate Service: Shuttle buses will be available to provide connecting service through the affected area(s).

Service Interruption Update(10:34p): Trains are moving and normal service is being restored through the affected area(s). Significant Delays are still occurring due to the earlier partial suspension of service.

Rail Alert Blue Line April 7, 2016.jpg

Rail Alert Blue Line April 7, 2016(2).jpg

1 hour ago, sw4400 said:

4/7/16 8:45p

Level Of Service Interruption: Major Delays

Information: O'Hare-bound trains are standing near Jefferson Park due to a medical emergency on the tracks.

Service Interruption Update(8:59p): Service has been temporarily suspended between Harlem (O'Hare) and California due to a medical emergency on the tracks.

As a result, trains are operating in two sections:

• between O'Hare and Harlem (O'Hare)
  • between California and Forest Park

Alternate Service: Shuttle buses will be available to provide connecting service through the affected area(s).

Rail Alert Blue Line April 7, 2016.jpg

Rail Alert Blue Line April 7, 2016(2).jpg

I just spotted 2 shuttle buses coming down River RD I had to almost catch myself from busting a u turn to ask what was happening

• Upvote 1

4/7/16 11:01p

Level Of Service Interruption: Minor Delays(Station(s) Bypassed)

Information: Blue Line trains are not stopping at Jefferson Park due to a medical emergency on the tracks.

Alternate Service: Shuttle buses will be available to provide service to Jefferson Park.

Rail Alert Blue Line April 7, 2016(3).jpg

4/8/16 11:54p

Rail Line(s) Affected: Red

Level Of Service Interruption: Major Delays w/Service Disruption

Information: 95th-bound trains are standing near Cermak-Chinatown due to a mechanical problem on a train.

Alternate Service: Consider using the #29 State as an alternative to Red Line service. Also, Shuttle Buses will be available shortly to provide alternative service.

Service Interruption Update(12:43a):  Red Line trains are operating with residual delays after an earlier mechanical problem on a train near Cermak-Chinatown.

Rail Alert Red Line April 8, 2016(2).jpg