CTA Rail Service Alerts

sw4400

Don't know about now, but in late 1970's when I was working on the L, there were three sections, North, West, and South. All motormen and conductors on North were qualified on Evanston, Ravenswood, North-South. Only certain ones were one-man qualified on Evanston and Skokie. All West qualified on West-Northwest and West-South, all South on North-South and West-South. Switchmen and towermen qualified on all yards and towers in their section. Foreign roads meant you were qualified on other sections, normally being also switchmen that worked Skokie drags and work trains.

Pink being West along with Blue (and Green), shouldn't Pink operators be qualified on Blue and vice versa? Who does Orange belong to? South? So does that mean Brown and Orange are both considered both North and South sections?

I was told by a rail operator they have extra board operators in the terminals so they can fill an empty run instantly, so it wouldn't be a question of manpower either. If they got desperate they could put out extra trains with extra board operators.

The thing I found that's somewhat surprising about what pcclcars said is that based on his statement that operators are not qualified for other lines, what happens if you have a breach somewhere on the line like close to Rosemont. Forest Pk can't take care of the blue line by itself, and other trains can't be brought over to help either???  He might be right to a point, but when it's an emergency that might get thrown out the window. What did they do in '99 when the #2600's failed due to the snow? They did bring over #3200's, so what's with that then?

Also like with the pink line, if the issue is #5000's, why not just run #2600's over the pink? Blue has 400 cars. I doubt they would run out of cars.

Andrethebusman, you hit on the real reason without saying so......1970s......that's forty years ago.  A lot can happen in forty years. Last week and in this coming week there are/were training trains running to REQUALIFY employees following job changes of terminal location. You can't escape reality.

DH

41 minutes ago, andrethebusman said:

Don't know about now, but in late 1970's when I was working on the L,

12 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

what happens if you have a breach somewhere on the line like close to Rosemont. Forest Pk can't take care of the blue line by itself, and other trains can't be brought over to help either???  He might be right to a point, but when it's an emergency that might get thrown out the window. What did they do in '99 when the #2600's failed due to the snow? They did bring over #3200's, so what's with that then?

I don't see any "breach" causing a necessity for moving equipment from one line to another. A major calamity like the Yellow line suspension, you do the same thing, close the line, bus substitution, let the opposite terminal handle the service. Winter storms carry small passenger loads. And remember, the 7000 series have been advertised at being, maybe, not compatible  So don't fret about transferring equipment. 

DH 

BusHunter, since you still haven't explained what "breach" would befall Rosemont....or why Forest Park couldn't handle the remainder of the line with whats out on the road and in its yard...if sounds to me that you're motivated by the dream of seeing unusual equipment running where they don't usually run.....like seeing 3200s and 5000s on the Blue. NYC can divert theirs because they have multiple lines, junctions and other interconnections. Chicago is a wheel and spoke system. If it goes bad, we suspend, we bus, we depend on other services to take up the slack. If its going to be months and years....LOL, there's always Skokie South.

DH

• Upvote 2

Im just using a what if scenario to make my point. I can't help it if CTA operations does what it pleases. I'm just making a suggestion so don't shoot the messenger just yet. Like the other day when they cancelled the uic runs, they could have easily ran the uic runs to forest pk. Would that lose money. Sure but what they are doing is putting money before its riders and the riders should come first.  

As far as #5000's on the blue all I have to wait for is 2020 and all the#5000's I could want will be on the blue. If the blue does get #7000's I'll be shocked.

14 minutes ago, chicagopcclcar said:

BusHunter, you still didn't describe your scenario.....theif"breach."

Try a '99 type scenario. Although railcars may be fixed to not have that problem what happens IF IT snows 20 INches As each line gets a shortage epideMic each becomes dependent on each other. Now how can they do that?

Problem!!

35 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Try a '99 type scenario. Although railcars may be fixed to not have that problem what happens IF IT snows 20 INches As each line gets a shortage epideMic each becomes dependent on each other. Now how can they do that?

Problem!!

You are changing the discussion....you have gone from a single line disruption to an area-wide weather event. If you want to continue, stick with "Rosemont." Alternate.....Trying to dream up a situation were equipment would be transferred is not applicable.  I would agree.

DH

2/23/16 9:23p

Rail Line(s) Affected: All Rail Lines

Level Of Service Interruption: --

Information: ***Special Bulletin*** A Winter Storm Warning for Heavy Snow has been issued for Chicago from 9a Wednesday to 4a Thursday. Snow totals of 4-10" are possible in the warned area(s) with winds gusting to 40 to 50 mph at times, causing blowing and drifting and near zero visibility.

Impacts with the CTA: Service may see varying degrees of Service Interruptions on a few or all Rail Lines at times tomorrow into Thursday. Consider leaving early and listen to announcements at Rail Stations regarding service. I will try to log as many of the alerts noticed on here, but I can't guarantee I'll get them all.... forum members are welcome to post alerts as well.

8 hours ago, sw4400 said:

TV news showed a two-car train on the turn back switch at Dempster/Skokie, not anywhere near Howard yard,.  Even your cited news said: "A train jumped the tracks in the rail yard in north suburban Skokie near the Dempster stop."

DH 

2/24/16 1:40p

Rail Line(s) Affected: Purple

Level Of Service Interruption: Significant Delays

Information: Linden-bound trains are operating with residual delays after an earlier minor fire at track level near South Blvd. Trains are moving and normal service is being restored.

Rail Alert Purple Line February 24, 2016.jpg

3 hours ago, sw4400 said:

2/24/16 6:58p

Rail Line(s) Affected: Red

Level Of Service Interruption: Minor Delays

Information: Howard-bound service has resumed with residual delays. Service was disrupted due to earlier mechanical problems near 69th.

Anyone know what the "mechanical problems" were? That train was stuck there for like 3 hours going by tweets. Makes it sound like a wheel fell off or something.

22 minutes ago, briman94 said:

Anyone know what the "mechanical problems" were? That train was stuck there for like 3 hours going by tweets. Makes it sound like a wheel fell off or something.

Being a 5000-Series railcar, maybe the operator was cruising along Howard-bound and a little before or after 69th got this..... ***re-enactment from fictional show***, but possibility is there, being it's computer controlled....

Just now, sw4400 said:

Being a 5000-Series railcar, maybe the operator was cruising along Howard-bound and a little before or after 69th, got this..... *re-enactment from fictional show, but possibility is there, being it's computer controlled....

LOL They actually do run Windows so it's quite possible, but thankfully that part doesn't affect the driveability. Still possible for it to have been a severe electrical problem I suppose.

19 hours ago, briman94 said:

LOL They actually do run Windows so it's quite possible, but thankfully that part doesn't affect the driveability. Still possible for it to have been a severe electrical problem I suppose.

I hope it's not Windows XP. I saw a self checkout machine reboot at Walmart. Guess what was running under the hood...

Anyways, that's a big delay.

3/3/16 7:20p

Rail Line(s) Affected: Red, Brown, Purple

Level Of Service Interruption: Significant Delays

Information: Some Howard bound Red LineKimball bound Brown Line & Linden bound Purple Line trains are operating with residual delays after earlier signals problems at Fullerton.

Rail Alert Purple Line March 3, 2016.jpg

Rail Alert Red Line March 3, 2016.jpg

Rail Alert Brown Line March 3, 2016.jpg