More New Flyers

newport

Did you happen to notice the transmission panel and whether it's a ZF transmission or an Allison transmission?

Didn't catch it.

The Clever Devices computer on #4333 was also rebooting itself occasionally, causing the interior passenger information displays to momentarily go blank. The driver's control panel would then show the computer cycling through the boot process, during which the passenger counters would blink red. The system was out completely on another bus, which didn't even have working destination signs.

Update: Sitting at 77th Garage, facing 79th are NF artics #4317, 4318, 4319, 4321, and 4324, probably waiting to be prepped for service. 4311 was on th #6 Jackson Park Express, but the destination sign was not working.

I guess we'll be seeing them soon in service, maybe by next week. So #4311's sign still is not working. Come to think of it alot of the new buses don't seem to be appearing on Bustracker. I haven't seen #4303, #4309, #4311, #4313, #4314, #4333 yet, even though I've seen some of these buses in person about 5 times at least.

I guess we'll be seeing them soon in service, maybe by next week. So #4311's sign still is not working. Come to think of it alot of the new buses don't seem to be appearing on Bustracker. I haven't seen #4303, #4309, #4311, #4313, #4314, #4333 yet, even though I've seen some of these buses in person about 5 times at least.

With these new artics entering service, looking on bustracker.com, you would see only a few buses, but if ur somewhere along the corridor or downtown, you'd see more artics in service with your own eyes than you would on bustracker.com, probably because of the Clever Devices not yet working.

With these new artics entering service, looking on bustracker.com, you would see only a few buses, but if ur somewhere along the corridor or downtown, you'd see more artics in service with your own eyes than you would on bustracker.com, probably because of the Clever Devices not yet working.

It is now a little better, with 4303, 4304, 4307, 4309, and 4310 showing up on the Bus Tracker map (which, itself, didn't load until a minute ago).

When I spotted 4314 downtown on the 6 earlier this afternoon (Friday) and stopped walking for a moment to listen for how close it sounds to one of the earlier NF artics in the 4000 series, one thing I noticed is how much quieter its engine is compared to a 4000 series artic. When you're standing on the opposite side of a wider street as I was from 4314 on State Street, you barely here anything from one of these 4300s and the sound of its engine is pretty much drowned out by other vehicles' engines, even that of a 4000.

UPDATE: Speaking of 4314, looks like that bus is having some kind of issue because BusTracker shows it delayed in the southbound direction on E. Hyde Park near Cornell. It's been sitting there at least the past 20 minutes.

Edited by jajuan

When I spotted 4314 downtown on the 6 earlier this afternoon (Friday) and stopped walking for a moment to listen for how close it sounds to one of the earlier NF artics in the 4000 series, one thing I noticed is how much quieter its engine is compared to a 4000 series artic. When you're standing on the opposite side of a wider street as I was from 4314 on State Street, you barely here anything from one of these 4300s and the sound of its engine is pretty much drowned out by other vehicles' engines, even that of a 4000.

UPDATE: Speaking of 4314, looks like that bus is having some kind of issue because BusTracker shows it delayed in the southbound direction on E. Hyde Park near Cornell. It's been sitting there at least the past 20 minutes.

That bus was running late earlier around 6PM. It picked up about 40 passengers (not kidding) at Washington/State. I can imagine it left the loop packed.

That bus was running late earlier around 6PM. It picked up about 40 passengers (not kidding) at Washington/State. I can imagine it left the loop packed.

Which highlights one of the big flaws in Claypool's crowd reduction plan. Buses can still fall behind in their schedules and therefore still create large crowds.

Which highlights one of the big flaws in Claypool's crowd reduction plan. Buses can still fall behind in their schedules and therefore still create large crowds.

I think the truth behind Claypool's "crowd reduction plan" is that it is a poorly-disguised reduction of service without really having to say so - even though it is obvious that since December 17 routes have been eliminated - the lines cut on the North Side alone (#145 and #11 Lincoln, to name just two) were quite well patronized as compared with other routes which were retained.

My sense is that "crowd-reduction" was the strategy the CTA used to paper over the reality of having to make service cuts to avoid a base-fare increase and/or make further cuts in service systemwide. As things stand, fares alongside the basic cash and transit-card fares have been or are about to be raised anyway (take note of the doubling of the fare from O'Hare Terminal).

Unfortunately, the CTA is running out of options to avoid future service cuts and fare increases. There is no federal or state assistance on the horizon - and the CTA is being squeezed from all sides. This isn't just a local problem - cuts to transit services nationwide are being forced due to the lack of adequate public financial support.

• Upvote 1

I think the truth behind Claypool's "crowd reduction plan" is that it is a poorly-disguised reduction of service without really having to say so - even though it is obvious that since December 17 routes have been eliminated - the lines cut on the North Side alone (#145 and #11 Lincoln, to name just two) were quite well patronized as compared with other routes which were retained.

My sense is that "crowd-reduction" was the strategy the CTA used to paper over the reality of having to make service cuts to avoid a base-fare increase and/or make further cuts in service systemwide. As things stand, fares alongside the basic cash and transit-card fares have been or are about to be raised anyway (take note of the doubling of the fare from O'Hare Terminal).

Unfortunately, the CTA is running out of options to avoid future service cuts and fare increases. There is no federal or state assistance on the horizon - and the CTA is being squeezed from all sides. This isn't just a local problem - cuts to transit services nationwide are being forced due to the lack of adequate public financial support.

And sadly many show little appreciation for what service is there until it gets taken away along with this sometimes too prevalent way of thinking on the service side of the equation that you're going to cut your way into higher efficiency.

Let me ask you this! Did you believe him in the first place??? Heres a person with no transit background whatsoever! Has no knowledge of the CTA system. I knew it was a blank page and lies behind all that. It was only a photo op for him and Rahm! Just a photo op! With the so called "new service improvements", CTA service has not and will not improve! Fares will continue to rise and we will see worse service.

Around 6:50pm tonight I saw a 4300 northbound on State working #29 stopped at 30th street. I thought that was interesting because I don't usually see artics on this route.

Gene King

I think it was probably one getting ready for the extra service on the 29 for later tonight. The past few years artics have been used to help out on the annual New Year's Eve extra service that the 29 gets. When the city was still doing the one central fireworks show downtown near the lakefront, the 29 would get artics for the extra service given on those nights also.

I think it was probably one getting ready for the extra service on the 29 for later tonight. The past few years artics have been used to help out on the annual New Year's Eve extra service that the 29 gets. When the city was still doing the one central fireworks show downtown near the lakefront, the 29 would get artics for the extra service given on those nights also.

Happy New Year everyone.

Yes indeed the artics were on the 29 the past evening to supplement the extra New Year's Eve service. I went to Navy Pier from downtown via 4310 and took 4318 back after the fireworks and all. A whole bunch of 4300s were out servicing the the extra crowd: 4308, 4311, 4312, 4316, & 4333 (there were more, but could not remember numbers). 4333 is indeed a D60LFR model since it does not have the extra roof shields for the electrical components, only the 2 air-conditioning units are visible. The engine is also louder than the hybrid models as it accelerates away.

Interesting that 74th provided supplement service only on route 66 for the New Year's Eve service, such as 1129, 1157, 1729 just to name a few. Usually Kedzie provided the extra service in previous years but it looks like a slight shift this year. Aside from that, didn't notice any other odd sightings.