More New Flyers

newport

Happy New Year everyone.

Yes indeed the artics were on the 29 the past evening to supplement the extra New Year's Eve service. I went to Navy Pier from downtown via 4310 and took 4318 back after the fireworks and all. A whole bunch of 4300s were out servicing the the extra crowd: 4308, 4311, 4312, 4316, & 4333 (there were more, but could not remember numbers). 4333 is indeed a D60LFR model since it does not have the extra roof shields for the electrical components, only the 2 air-conditioning units are visible. The engine is also louder than the hybrid models as it accelerates away.

Interesting that 74th provided supplement service only on route 66 for the New Year's Eve service, such as 1129, 1157, 1729 just to name a few. Usually Kedzie provided the extra service in previous years but it looks like a slight shift this year. Aside from that, didn't notice any other odd sightings.

Wow. 74th running the 66? I would've thought that NP would've thrown some artics on that route like over the summer. Then again last new year i remember seeing #4011 on the 29.

Happy New Year everyone.

Yes indeed the artics were on the 29 the past evening to supplement the extra New Year's Eve service. I went to Navy Pier from downtown via 4310 and took 4318 back after the fireworks and all. A whole bunch of 4300s were out servicing the the extra crowd: 4308, 4311, 4312, 4316, & 4333 (there were more, but could not remember numbers). 4333 is indeed a D60LFR model since it does not have the extra roof shields for the electrical components, only the 2 air-conditioning units are visible. The engine is also louder than the hybrid models as it accelerates away.

Interesting that 74th provided supplement service only on route 66 for the New Year's Eve service, such as 1129, 1157, 1729 just to name a few. Usually Kedzie provided the extra service in previous years but it looks like a slight shift this year. Aside from that, didn't notice any other odd sightings.

Good to hear #4318's in service, although I don't know if any of the newer buses are on Bustracker yet. CTA usually has a history of putting new buses out for big events. I remember when all the #1750's were parked/staged brand new on Madison some years ago for the 4th of July fireworks night. Those were too from 74th.

One thing I've noticed about the 4300s is that the umbilical section appears to be slighter longer than on the 4000s while the front portion appears to be slightly shorter.

Optical illusion, unless we're talking a matter of inches due to the redesigned ends.

In general, the only thing New Flyer did with the LFR is modify the end caps (and, later on, offer the optional roof shroud to cover the hybrid junk upstairs). The rest of the vehicle chassis is the same.

• Upvote 1

Optical illusion, unless we're talking a matter of inches due to the redesigned ends.

In general, the only thing New Flyer did with the LFR is modify the end caps (and, later on, offer the optional roof shroud to cover the hybrid junk upstairs). The rest of the vehicle chassis is the same.

Maybe he means the umbilical section is taller in height, which is true because those run up to the roof shroud. In fact IIRC, the umbilical covers the roof shroud there at least on the side. Of course there's alot of pictures on here to examine this.

• Upvote 1

Maybe he means the umbilical section is taller in height, which is true because those run up to the roof shroud. In fact IIRC, the umbilical covers the roof shroud there at least on the side. Of course there's alot of pictures on here to examine this.

Yeah, the articulated joint is higher on the DE60LFR's as opposed to the DE60LF's.

No I meant the length and See confirmed my unspoken thought that it was an optical illusion due to the roof shrouds protecting the electrical components up top.

Well here's a comparsion photo of both...

It could be an illusion, but it looks like the accordion section on the DE60LF is slightly longer than the accordion section on the DE60LFR.

Or at least, if salt doesn't die, it will give you hypertension.

Well here's a comparsion photo of both...

It could be an illusion, but it looks like the accordion section on the DE60LF is slightly longer than the accordion section on the DE60LFR.

You didn't need to bring out the photos this time. I was more than satisfied with the explanation and what I already suspected that any difference in length and not height was an optical illusion. :lol:

It looks like all 100 of the 4300 series buses will be coming to 103rd garage, at least until the new 40fters get here which I hope is very soon. Don't get me wrong I love the new buses but I sure can't wait till the new 40 ft buses start rolling in, new flyer have got to be some of the best buses cta have ever purchased. I would put them up with fish bowl and MAN buses.

It looks like all 100 of the 4300 series buses will be coming to 103rd garage, at least until the new 40fters get here which I hope is very soon. Don't get me wrong I love the new buses but I sure can't wait till the new 40 ft buses start rolling in, new flyer have got to be some of the best buses cta have ever purchased. I would put them up with fish bowl and MAN buses.

Odds are, you are going to have to wait over a year for the 40 footers, since there hasn't even been an announcement of a contract award yet (or one put on a meeting agenda).

Also, do you have any basis for the "all 100" in that there is any indication that 103rd needs or even has the storage for that many artics?

• Upvote 1

Odds are, you are going to have to wait over a year for the 40 footers, since there hasn't even been an announcement of a contract award yet (or one put on a meeting agenda).

Also, do you have any basis for the "all 100" in that there is any indication that 103rd needs or even has the storage for that many artics?

Right. One shouldn't read too much into the fact that what 4300s have arrived so far have gone to 103rd. As it stands we're probably only talking about 10 to 15 buses (it's tricking getting an accurate count since they're arriving out of sequence) so far delivered.

Point taken I got a little bit ahead of myself there lol but as far as New Flyer you can pretty much say that cta is going to give the contract to them I'll put all my chips in sayin cta will give them the contract until I'm proven wrong ;) . So when it officially happens remember who said it 1st lol.

Point taken I got a little bit ahead of myself there lol but as far as New Flyer you can pretty much say that cta is going to give the contract to them I'll put all my chips in sayin cta will give them the contract until I'm proven wrong ;) . So when it officially happens remember who said it 1st lol.

Well, let's not count out NOVA Bus. While they have yet to really prove reliability with articulated buses, they have more than satisfied me with standard 40' buses. The NOVA LFS buses have been rolling around Chicago since 2000 and still run strong and fast twelve years later.

Don't forget that some self proclaimed looking for work consultant has a gotcha out on this.

In any event, large orders like this get announced, at least on the winning bidder's site. And, in fact there is an order and a notice to proceed if the announcements on the vendor's site and the CTA's site actually match. As I mentioned, neither has happened yet, and the Q&A in the addendum disclaimed having a NTP by February.

Did you guys know an Optima was retired off the latest bus roster and one was put in storage? #544 is the one that's retired, and #514 is the one in storage. BTW, no Novas have yet to be retired. (other than the ones we know about) Another weird note, the roster doesn't reflect #4300-#4302, #4305 as yet in existence at least at 103rd. Strange some of those must still be at 77th. I believe Pace2322 did mention a few of those there.

The only mention of 4300 was MVTA's picture in Minnesota and pace2322 saying he can't post pictures. See also this message.

Looks like the hybrid part of the order is wrrapping up. Seen up to 4330 as 77th and some more clean diesel artics numbered up to 4338

Awesome I hope some more of the New diesel buses come to 103rd they look better than the diesel electric buses lol the roof on those DE's are just too much.