More New Flyers

newport

4319 was showing the old 14 destination. Caught it on Michigan at Congress yesterday morning. No paper sign in window. At least the operator did tell me it was actually a 6 given that the J14 stops at the same stop.

4309 was showing "Not in Service" again no paper sign in window! Little confusing on State St.

Back to the good old days technology of the MAN 4000s and 7300s. :lol:

Not sure if anybody mentioned this or not but 103rd got more new artics don't know how many more but I did happen to see 4300, 4324, and 4338 yesterday. 4300 I actually saw saturday and it was working the 6 heading downtown. On another note, I'm still surprised nova got the contract It would've been really cool to see those New Flyer D40LFR's rolling around I was really looking forward to driving those :( lol :D

Not sure if anybody mentioned this or not but 103rd got more new artics don't know how many more but I did happen to see 4300, 4324, and 4338 yesterday. 4300 I actually saw saturday and it was working the 6 heading downtown. On another note, I'm still surprised nova got the contract It would've been really cool to see those New Flyer D40LFR's rolling around I was really looking forward to driving those :( lol :D

Let's put 4336 on the map this morning for J14.

Isn't a bus a bus, or would the 2 foot additional snout on a Nova make a difference?

Comparing the Nova front to that of say a New Flyer LFR, the distance from the front

wheel center to the end of the bumper seems much longer. The Nova front doorway appears much wider but yet both buses can board a standard wheelchair. From the standpoint of the bus operator, which bus is better?

Wont see 4319 on the street for sometime after last night someone mess up the right side wings on it. About ten feet of it is gone.

I highly doubt CTA did its homework to make certain these buses were able to clear some low viaducts. Because CTA buses typically have to remain on the right lanes of double lane streets, they come very close to curbside objects such as sign posts and street light poles and in some cases too close to viaduct pillars and heavy tree branches. Im sure the buses have to be careful on the south side viaducts which tend to be lower than most viaducts around the city. I wonder how they dont have the right side mirrors knocked off as well.

What routes you work?

Isn't a bus a bus, or would the 2 foot additional snout on a Nova make a difference?

At the end of the day it really don't matter what kind of bus it is but I was only saying the new flyers because I like the way they ride, they are great buses and besides they remind me of my favorite bus I used to ride as a kid which were the MAN 4000 series. Nothing against NOVA I like them too although I haven't had much experience because of course we don't have them at 103rd. But I'm sure once the new Novas come in i'll get my chance and I'm sure I'll love them as well. I always been a bus fan since I was a kid so I was speaking from that perspective, and also new flyer buses in my opinion look better than Novas.

... But I'm sure once the new Novas come in i'll get my chance and I'm sure I'll love them as well. I always been a bus fan since I was a kid so I was speaking from that perspective, and also new flyer buses in my opinion look better than Novas.

Unless things get really bizarre, you'll probably have to transfer to 74 or 77 to get a Nova in about a year and a half.

So that would make 4333, 4336, and 4338 out out the D60LFRs delivered so far? Also since BusTracker shows 4085 and 4094 on the 6 today would that mean they are now unwrapped or soon will be?

Haven't seen that part, but I did notice 4094 unwrapped when I was riding downtown. If 4085 is actually unwrapped, it's a probability that 103rd will donate that artic as well to another garage.

Haven't seen that part, but I did notice 4094 unwrapped when I was riding downtown. If 4085 is actually unwrapped, it's a probability that 103rd will donate that artic as well to another garage.

So it brings up the question others posed of whether any of the 4300s will get wrapped since we're seeing them more on the J14.

Will the 4300s get the.Jump wraps or were the wraps on the other buses for temporary.promotional purposes?

It looks like the wraps were a temporary promo, if 4094 got unwrapped. I remember seeing 4094 with the Jump wrap. Seems like a waste of money and resources to have those wraps on for such a short time.

It looks like the wraps were a temporary promo, if 4094 got unwrapped. I remember seeing 4094 with the Jump wrap. Seems like a waste of money and resources to have those wraps on for such a short time.

There is the grant requirement that the service have a separate branding. The question would be whether being a LFR would be sufficient. Don't cross the feds.

As is this, but the CTA put this wrap on a set of it's railcars. I wonder how much money was wasted to make and print that oversized CTA logo wrap.

post-10-13581984205837_thumb.jpg

If they are removing wraps then, those buses are most likely getting transferred soon. (that may be one of the reasons the onboard Bustracker didn't get past the experimental stage yet, because they knew these buses were temporary) They should've delayed the opening of Jump service by 2 months and just started it with the new buses. But their planning is not the best. Here they are most likely transferring more buses to artic existing garages instead of places like Chicago garage. Maybe it would make more sense to send those to 77th with the wraps still on them. It would at least promote the service.

If they are removing wraps then, those buses are most likely getting transferred soon. (that may be one of the reasons the onboard Bustracker didn't get past the experimental stage yet, because they knew these buses were temporary) They should've delayed the opening of Jump service by 2 months and just started it with the new buses. But their planning is not the best. Here they are most likely transferring more buses to artic existing garages instead of places like Chicago garage. Maybe it would make more sense to send those to 77th with the wraps still on them. It would at least promote the service.

It would promote the service of what exactly??

... They should've delayed the opening of Jump service by 2 months and just started it with the new buses....

Again you are dealing with federal grants that said they had to be in service by a certain date. Also, since the $10 million grant didn't pay for any buses, the materials said that the service would be instituted with existing buses. As I previously said, don't mess with the feds.

It would promote the service of what exactly??

I'm sure he meant of the Jeffrey Jump, but again these are not ad wraps, but distinctive branding, required by the federal grant. It may be one thing that the Pace Soldier Field Express bus is running in Des Plaines during the winter, another if CTA put something on King Dr. saying it was the Jeffery Jump.

• Upvote 1

And this got me to thinking a little more in answer to my own question I posed earlier that because of the fact they used federal grant money to change the 14 to J14 and that the wraps are required as branding specifically for this service, that they'll wrap some 4300s to stay compliant with the rules of the federal grant if they have to reassign 4000s that were at 103rd to other garages.