More New Flyers

newport

Looking on the Bus Tracker Map, I see 4321 on 143.

This might be the start of some additional artic shifts. NP could lose some of its highest-numbered 4000s to 77th in the coming weeks, while NP could pick up a few of Kedzie's existing 4000s. The "unofficial" assignment of 4321 to Kedzie might be an indication that the buses have been arriving out of numerical order.

This might be the start of some additional artic shifts. NP could lose some of its highest-numbered 4000s to 77th in the coming weeks, while NP could pick up a few of Kedzie's existing 4000s. The "unofficial" assignment of 4321 to Kedzie might be an indication that the buses have been arriving out of numerical order.

Seems reasonable. And Bushunter, no one said anything about Kedzie not getting 4300s. If you go back and read the related posts, the point was more Kedzie is not in dire need of additional artics. That's not the same thing as Kedzie getting 4300s through a shifting of artics between garages as opposed to just adding on top of its current total numbers.

Rather than shuffling buses across town, why not just allocate the new buses between K, 103, and 77, with K simply sending some older buses (say, 4031-4057) to NP. Or does that make too much sense???

Rather than shuffling buses across town, why not just allocate the new buses between K, 103, and 77, with K simply sending some older buses (say, 4031-4057) to NP. Or does that make too much sense???

It makes too much sense so far to do the overall artic allocations, both 4000s and 4300s, that way among those four until they get the ball rolling with getting more garages able to both house and provide the relevant upkeep for artic buses. Lately CTA has operated on a path of if it makes legitimate sense they do the opposite.

Looks like they are doing the same thing as what they are doing with the #5000's. They are going to deliver out of sequence to different garages. 103rd does have around 25 #4300 buses now, which would follow in line with what was said before about delivery. (NP, Kedzie, 77th, 103rd) We'll have to see if 103rd gets more buses or the delivery will now focus primarily at Kedzie.

Looks like they are doing the same thing as what they are doing with the #5000's. They are going to deliver out of sequence to different garages. 103rd does have around 25 #4300 buses now, which would follow in line with what was said before about delivery. (NP, Kedzie, 77th, 103rd) We'll have to see if 103rd gets more buses or the delivery will now focus primarily at Kedzie.

103rd, Kedzie, North Park. The 100 D60LFR/DE60LFR's will be split amongst these three most likely. For some reason, 77th has no more artics, whether it's because of the parked NABI 60-LFW's taking up space or lack or artic-required routes, Kevin has removed 77th from the artic roster.

103rd, Kedzie, North Park. The 100 D60LFR/DE60LFR's will be split amongst these three most likely. For some reason, 77th has no more artics, whether it's because of the parked NABI 60-LFW's taking up space or lack or artic-required routes, Kevin has removed 77th from the artic roster.

Kevin removed 77th from the artic roster because artics are not currently assigned to 77th. This is because, after the 2010 changes, 77th did not have any artic routes. Prior to February 2010, 77th had the #6. 77th had artics (plus all the NABIs in storage). Now they don't have the #6. No artic routes, no artics.

It's really not that difficult of a concept.

As stated by others, that has more to do in part with 77th no longer having the 6 as an anchor that make having artics more sensible, even if it can be argued that there are the 3,4, 79 and 87 for example that could benefit from some form of artic use even if it's only for just some of the trips. Just because 77th has no artics now has no bearing on if it has them in the near future. You can't honestly expect that CTA is going to get upwards of 400 plus artics after this and the order that's to be tied to the 40 foot order are completely delivered only to try to crowd them in the three currently used artic capable garages when they actually have four garages that are artic capable. Part of the premise of getting more artics is to relieve some pressure on heavier routes across the system. You can't do that if you keep all the artics crowded at 103rd, NP, and Kedzie instead of spreading them among all available artic capable garages for the time being, and then spread to more garages as other garages that would have space get needed upgrades.

Does anybody know when the 2 New Flyer XE40 buses will arrive? And since they will be test buses what happens if cta likes what they see? Does this mean more orders will be coming in the future?? Somebody riddle me that lol

That's something no one will know until the CTA actually reveals it.

Does anybody know when the 2 New Flyer XE40 buses will arrive? And since they will be test buses what happens if cta likes what they see? Does this mean more orders will be coming in the future?? Somebody riddle me that lol

Besides that, the Green Grants page indicates that the reason CTA ordered them was that CTA applied for $6 million for 5 buses and got $2.2 million for 2 from the TIGGER program.

There was the previous speculation in this forum whether this was a 1 year test like the fuel cell buses that have sat in the dead lot for the last 15 or so years after operating a couple, or like the 800 and 900 series hybrid buses that are still in service and resulted in more orders of hybrid buses.

In any event, given that the current order of 40 foot buses ended up diesel for a little less than $500,000/bus, it is very unlikely that CTA would spend more than twice as much for an underpowered bus, unless the Feds again decided to fund it on their own, or, all the sudden, charging stations became cheaper and much more able to recharge the batteries quickly. We aren't talking about just plugging in a Nissan Leaf.

They are coming.... they will be delivered late 2013.

New Flyer press release

CTA press release

All-Electric powered buses are very new technology. New Flyer just got a grant on October 26,2012 to further enhance rapid-charge battery-electric bus propulsion technology(Link). Winnipeg Transit will operate four electric buses for a four year period starting in late 2013. Minneapolis Metro has also ordered two all electric buses a little after a month the CTA did. Since it's in infancy right now, it might be several years of trial and error before all-electric propulsion buses are available as a regular choice for transit agencies.

Besides that, the Green Grants page indicates that the reason CTA ordered them was that CTA applied for $6 million for 5 buses and got $2.2 million for 2 from the TIGGER program.

There was the previous speculation in this forum whether this was a 1 year test like the fuel cell buses that have sat in the dead lot for the last 15 or so years after operating a couple, or like the 800 and 900 series hybrid buses that are still in service and resulted in more orders of hybrid buses.

In any event, given that the current order of 40 foot buses ended up diesel for a little less than $500,000/bus, it is very unlikely that CTA would spend more than twice as much for an underpowered bus, unless the Feds again decided to fund it on their own, or, all the sudden, charging stations became cheaper and much more able to recharge the batteries quickly. We aren't talking about just plugging in a Nissan Leaf.

"CTA is funding this purchase through the Federal Transit Administration's TIGGER program". So part CTA, part FTA from the CTA press release above is what I'm getting.

• Upvote 1

"CTA is funding this purchase through the Federal Transit Administration's TIGGER program". So part CTA, part FTA from this quote from the CTA press release above.

Unless you have proof that these 2 overpriced buses are more than $2.2 million, the answer is no.

It isn't like the Nova release, which said "Funding for the purchase is a combination of mostly federal formula funds and CTA bond proceeds."

Like I said, I can read.

Unless you have proof that these 2 overpriced buses are more than $2.2 million, the answer is no.

It isn't like the Nova release, which said "Funding for the purchase is a combination of mostly federal formula funds and CTA bond proceeds."

Like I said, I can read.

I have read the New Flyer press release. I have read the Green Grants page. Both have the same dollar figure... $2.2 million. New Flyer press release quotes the total purchase price of these "underpowered" buses at $2.2 million. So one electric-powered bus is around $1.1 million. Also, the CTA press release says the buses will be powered by Lithium-Ion Polymer Batteries and can be charged using a plug/electric outlet setup similar to other electric vehicles(e.g: your Nissan Leaf, or one better, Toyota Prius).

Actually, $2.5 million(I just re-read the CTA press release thoroughly), but since you doubt it being more than 2.2 million, I guess you didn't bother to read either of the press releases, otherwise you would've noticed this...

"CTA is funding this purchase through the FTA’s Transit Investments for Greenhouse Gas and Energy Reduction (TIGGER) program. The $2.5 million contract was awarded to New Flyer following a competitive bid process."

Actually, 2.5 million, but since you doubt it being more than 2.2 million, I guess you didn't bother to read the press releases, otherwise you would've noticed this...

"CTA is funding this purchase through the FTA’s Transit Investments for Greenhouse Gas and Energy Reduction (TIGGER) program. The $2.5 million contract was awarded to New Flyer following a competitive bid process."

Someone then is $300,000 short.

Someone then is $300,000 short.

Maybe... maybe not. The buses are 2.2 million($1.1 million/bus). The $300,000 might be the costs of spare parts, power boxes for charging, the two bio-diesel heaters that will be used to keep the interiors warm during the winter while preserving driving range. Also, the buses will be built on the Xcelsior body which is I believe fiberglass. These buses probably run more than a D40LFR would, but New Flyer doesn't mention retail prices on buses that I could find on their webpage. Why the CTA press release, which was updated, has a $2.5 million figure and the New Flyer press release only mentions $2.2, the only reason I can think of is that the New Flyer press release was published on June 21, 2012 and there hasn't been any real update since.

Can't confirm that yet.

Two days later, bus 4321 appears on the #156 this morning. This confirms that the CTA is receiving the 4300s out of numerical order. It also means that a small group (or more specifically, the next small batch) of 4300-series buses, both hybrid and diesel, will be assigned to Kedzie (although the CTA had already received most of the buses in the hybrid portion of the order).

They're getting them in order CTA just dosen't send them out, last nite 4302 the teens and 20s are all parked on the fence has to be about 10 of them.

4302 is on the #6 this afternoon.

And it appears that 4321 is currently the only 4300 at Kedzie. It was on the #156 this morning and on the #143 this afternoon.

It is either that, or sometimes I say that I have numeric dyslexia.:lol: For instance, sometimes I have trouble keeping Pace 2600s and 6200s straight.

Tonight [1/26/2013] I saw #4338 working route 6 turning from Columbus onto Balbo [westbound]. No fins, no "Clean Air Hybrid" decal. I think the hybrids look better. :lol:

Tonight [1/26/2013] I saw #4338 working route 6 turning from Columbus onto Balbo [westbound]. No fins, no "Clean Air Hybrid" decal. I think the hybrids look better. :lol:

I like how the clean diesels look better. And it's interesting that we're about to have some non-hybrid artics for the first time since the NABI artics have been pulled off the streets.