More New Flyers

newport

Again you are dealing with federal grants that said they had to be in service by a certain date. Also, since the $10 million grant didn't pay for any buses, the materials said that the service would be instituted with existing buses. As I previously said, don't mess with the feds.

Well then they better not let them know they are running #4300's on #J14 without wraps on them. :P

I'm jumping ahead of the game a bit - but I understand that "Bus Rapid Transit" is planned for Western and Ashland Avenues and several other routes.

Today, Jan. 14, 2013, I was driving north on Western from the intersection of Diversey and Elston to Addison - not even during the rush hour - it was about 2:45 p.m. - and traffic on Western was as slow as Molasses in Winter from the bridge over Belmont heading northward (traffic wasn't moving much faster in the opposite direction, either).

How on Earth anyone in their right mind thinks they are going to be able to offer a true "bus rapid transit" service along Western Avenue (without providing an enforced bus-only lane in each direction along with REAL traffic-signal priority to buses) has to be crazy.

The way things are practically, politically and financially - no bus, however much "Official Branding Priority" it's given over other, slower traffic, will move along Western - or any other major Chicago street - any faster than today's regular, ordinary buses do, caught up as they are in the heavy, slow traffic.

Seriously chronically heavy traffic congestion is the everyday norm - the only time we Chicagoans get to drive - or ride a bus - along our city's streets when they are relatively free from traffic congestion is usually in the late evenings and overnight, and during holidays.

The very idea of providing genuinely fast "Bus Rapid Transit" on Chicago's almost-always-congested arteries (without buses running in their own dedicated rights-of-way) is ludicrous.

Unless the city removes a traffic lane from regular users and/or prohibits parking along bus rapid transit routes and gives that lane to buses (and enforces keeping cars and trucks off of it), there is no way buses will ever be able to move along freely - other than that if the road itself is widened.

Considering all of today's practical and political realities, "bus rapid transit" in Chicago isn't likely to amount to anything more than a slow, fancily-dressed-up, shrink-wrapped bus making somewhat fewer stops than its humble local brethren; that fancy bus will be nothing but an empty promise and window dressing.

So, why bother?

• Upvote 1

I'm jumping ahead of the game a bit - but I understand that "Bus Rapid Transit" is planned for Western and Ashland Avenues and several other routes.

Today, Jan. 14, 2013, I was driving north on Western from the intersection of Diversey and Elston to Addison - not even during the rush hour - it was about 2:45 p.m. - and traffic on Western was as slow as Molasses in Winter from the bridge over Belmont heading northward (traffic wasn't moving much faster in the opposite direction, either).

How on Earth anyone in their right mind thinks they are going to be able to offer a true "bus rapid transit" service along Western Avenue (without providing an enforced bus-only lane in each direction along with REAL traffic-signal priority to buses) has to be crazy.

The way things are practically, politically and financially - no bus, however much "Official Branding Priority" it's given over other, slower traffic, will move along Western - or any other major Chicago street - any faster than today's regular, ordinary buses do, caught up as they are in the heavy, slow traffic.

Seriously chronically heavy traffic congestion is the everyday norm - the only time we Chicagoans get to drive - or ride a bus - along our city's streets when they are relatively free from traffic congestion is usually in the late evenings and overnight, and during holidays.

The very idea of providing genuinely fast "Bus Rapid Transit" on Chicago's almost-always-congested arteries (without buses running in their own dedicated rights-of-way) is ludicrous.

Unless the city removes a traffic lane from regular users and/or prohibits parking along bus rapid transit routes and gives that lane to buses (and enforces keeping cars and trucks off of it), there is no way buses will ever be able to move along freely - other than that if the road itself is widened.

Considering all of today's practical and political realities, "bus rapid transit" in Chicago isn't likely to amount to anything more than a slow, fancily-dressed-up, shrink-wrapped bus making somewhat fewer stops than its humble local brethren; it will be nothing more than an empty promise and window dressing.

So, why bother?

It is about money. Plain and simple. No BRT plan, no fed money.

Haven't seen that part, but I did notice 4094 unwrapped when I was riding downtown. If 4085 is actually unwrapped, it's a probability that 103rd will donate that artic as well to another garage.

4085 was not un wrap had that bus tonight, Also we still have 4064 and 4065 on our bus list as of today..

The DE60LFR appears to have 11 folds in each bellow, or 22 total, vs. 10 in each or 20 total for the DE60LF. Hubner and NF probably decided it was better to add an extra fold in to give more insulation or whatever.

From the article See found, just light a campfire in the back compartment. :angry:

They must have really wanted to get #4324 and #4336 out fast. Both buses still had black protective wrapping (for shipping) on all the yellow marking on the stairs and around the lift and on the floor of the back door. (where the yellow striping is) On #4336 this causes the back door to close from an open position (from a couple inches) everytime it is used. Obviously, the door must be picking up the obstruction. #4324 seems uneffected. Think they would have fixed something so obvious.

4333 is a diesel. It does not have the fancy roof boards.

Yes it was reported a few weeks ago that 4333 is the lowest number of the diesel artics and spurred a discussion that either both CTA and New Flyer made a mistake or a change in the breakdown of hybrids and clean diesels or the first people to see 4333 here in Chicago looked at the vehicle number wrong because a member refused to believe that both the hybrids and diesels are designated 4300 series as far as their vehicle numbers go.

Yes it was reported a few weeks ago that 4333 is the lowest number of the diesel artics and spurred a discussion that either both CTA and New Flyer made a mistake or a change in the breakdown of hybrids and clean diesels or the first people to see 4333 here in Chicago looked at the vehicle number wrong because a member refused to believe that both the hybrids and diesels are designated 4300 series as far as their vehicle numbers go.

If this is in reference to me, then yeah because you have the Hybrid buses 4300-4332 and my speculation being that the others were Clean Diesel and not Hybrid would have been assigned a different number series(perhaps in the 6000's or 7000's). That was based on the DE40LF's being different number series despite both being Hybrids, but different powertrains(GM Allison: 800-809, ISE-Thundervolt: 900-909). They could've just simply made the DE40LF series 800-819 with 800-809 the GM Allison and 810-819 being the ISE-Thundervolt.

If this is in reference to me, then yeah because you have the Hybrid buses 4300-4332 and my speculation being that the others were Clean Diesel and not Hybrid would have been assigned a different number series(perhaps in the 6000's or 7000's). That was based on the DE40LF's being different number series despite both being Hybrids, but different powertrains(GM Allison: 800-809, ISE-Thundervolt: 900-909). They could've just simply made the DE40LF series 800-819 with 800-809 the GM Allison and 810-819 being the ISE-Thundervolt.

Before you get offended, it wasn't a personal slight but more a statement of one shouldn't get too caught up beyond fun speculation of what number blocks one or more bus models get assigned as the CTA can very easily show as they did with the 4300s that they can and do assign whatever vehicle numbers they want with no set pattern based on model or type of model. As someone else pointed out, it's not the first time they've done so considering when they retired the 4900 series TMC narrow RTS buses and replaced them with those ex-Pace Orions they numbered them beginning at 4915 instead of going to a totally different number block.

I rode 4333 once or twice. It did not have a "Clean Air Hybrid Bus" decal nor the roof fins. No doubt in my mind that was a clean diesel. You must be mistaking that for one of the hybrids 4300-4332.

My mistake may be in thinking I saw a "Clean Air Hybrid Bus" decal on 4333. I am certain the bus did NOT have the roof fins though. :)

Gene King

My mistake may be in thinking I saw a "Clean Air Hybrid Bus" decal on 4333. I am certain the bus did NOT have the roof fins though. :)

Gene King

It is either that, or sometimes I say that I have numeric dyslexia.:lol: For instance, sometimes I have trouble keeping Pace 2600s and 6200s straight.