More New Flyers

newport

Was that today? Cause I saw all the buses you mentioned for the exception of 4318 both yesterday and today I saw 4313 and 14 twice today working the 6. I wonder why they're at 77th for?

They're at 77th getting prepped up for service and when they're prepped up, they'll be heading to 103rd

They're at 77th getting prepped up for service and when they're prepped up, they'll be heading to 103rd

No that's what I'm saying I saw those same buses 4313 and 4314 already in service working the 6 saturday when I was doing the 172. Matter fact I saw 4314 Friday as well on the 6 cause Iwas driving 4311 when i saw it. Maybe they went back to 77th to get worked on or something but I definitely saw both of them already in service though.

No that's what I'm saying I saw those same buses 4313 and 4314 already in service working the 6 saturday when I was doing the 172. Matter fact I saw 4314 Friday as well on the 6 cause Iwas driving 4311 when i saw it. Maybe they went back to 77th to get worked on or something but I definitely saw both of them already in service though.

Are you sure you don't mean 4312 and 4315?

Our paths may have crossed, if you had #4311 friday evening. That particular bus was/may still be having a problem appearing on Bustracker or those signs on the shelters. That night there was a half hour interval between 6's which was unusual. I figured it might be because one of the new buses wasn't signed in. About 15 minutes later #4311 showed up as a ghost bus. No destination sign was lit, but there was an audible announcement saying it was a #6. So that bus may not be easy to find on Bustracker. That night I saw #4303, #4309, #4311, #4312, #4314, #4315 on the #6, and the #4333 I mentioned before on the #J14.

Our paths may have crossed, if you had #4311 friday evening. That particular bus was/may still be having a problem appearing on Bustracker or those signs on the shelters. That night there was a half hour interval between 6's which was unusual. I figured it might be because one of the new buses wasn't signed in. About 15 minutes later #4311 showed up as a ghost bus. No destination sign was lit, but there was an audible announcement saying it was a #6. So that bus may not be easy to find on Bustracker. That night I saw #4303, #4309, #4311, #4312, #4314, #4315 on the #6, and the #4333 I mentioned before on the #J14.

For that matter, the only one that has consistently shown up last week was 4308, although 4312 is on BusTracker now.

Maybe Kevin could explain what manual mode is, and why the rest aren't up on BusTracker. As you note, that certainly messes up the signs on the J14 bus stops.

post-14-13563107851598_thumb.jpg

I was able to ride the new NF artic #4333 today on #6 Jackson Park Express, and for a clean-diesel bus, this one was just about as quiet as the hybrid. Interesting. Maybe that's how the existing 1000 Series New Flyer D40LF buses will sound after they are remanufactured.

Doubtful. The 4300 D60LFR's have a Cummins ISL9 powertrain with what should be a Allison B400 transmission, but without seeing the selector panel, I don't know what transmission these vehicles have(ZF or Allison). The 1000's will get rebuilt Cummins engines that are most likely the same models they have currently(ISM for 1000-1629 and ISL for 1630-2029). The transmissions should remain the same as well(ZF for 1000-1929 and Allison B400? for 1930-2029). The only wild card here is the powertrains... could all 1,030 D40LF's get a rebuilt Cummins ISL engine? I'm not sure if the engine would struggle to propel 1000-1629 since they are steel frames and not I believe carbon frames like 1630-2029 have. New Flyer put the Cummins ISM engine into 1000-1629 for this reason I believe and switched to the Cummins ISL engine for 1630-2029 because of the frames. The buses frames will be the only part that will remain the same, according to the news post here.

I wonder if the rehab with introduce the newer type headlights on the #1000's. (I believe they were testing this on #1159,#909) It seems to be the new thing in buses this year. Also I wonder if they'll modernize the seats on the #1000- #1304 to reflect the rest of the fleet. Those other seats are old looking from the 80's.

I wonder if the rehab with introduce the newer type headlights on the #1000's. (I believe they were testing this on #1159,#909) It seems to be the new thing in buses this year. Also I wonder if they'll modernize the seats on the #1000- #1304 to reflect the rest of the fleet. Those other seats are old looking from the 80's.

Well I know in the past they were talking of retrofitting the first buses with the Freedman seats, so that becomes a possibility. As far as newer headlights on the 1000's after rehab, I wouldn't rule it out although I don't have high probability of that as I think doing so would turn the D40LF's into D40LFR's. But sense it is a gut rehab, I would say it is possible, but not highly likely that the 1000's will return as D40LFR's.

It is possible. As a matter of fact, it is something that's done in the motorcoach industry. You will see older models retrofitted with new headlights (and sometimes taillights) to make the coach look more modern. In this case however, I think you'd have to replace the entire face (front end) to accomplish that.

I think you mean 1000-1302 that have the older seats. I happened to be on 1303 on the 22 Clark about an hour before writing this post and it has the wider seats. And sw, the only way those buses become D40LFRs is if they took off the entire flat faced fronts they have now and replace them with those the 4300s have. Restyling the headlights isn't enough for them to become D40LFRs.

Update: Today I saw the new NF artics 4303, 4307, 4308, 4309 (I rode), 4312, 4314, 4315, and 4333 on #6 and 4310 on #J14. Correct me if necessary. I also noticed it read "14 Jeffery Express".

Maybe old files are still in the system that control the destination signs. I remember forum members who are operators posting pictures of themselves having been able to get the signs to read old dead routes that got eliminated in the mid to late '90s Booz-Allen cuts such as the old 31 31st a few years ago, and those routes hadn't existed for just over a decade at that point. And this was also long after the Clever Devices system got installed in CTA buses and replaced those black boxes just above the windshields above the operators' heads and directly controlled what the destination signs displayed.

Maybe old files are still in the system that control the destination signs. I remember forum members who are operators posting pictures of themselves having been able to get the signs to read old dead routes that got eliminated in the mid to late '90s Booz-Allen cuts such as the old 31 31st a few years ago, and those routes hadn't existed for just over a decade at that point. And this was also long after the Clever Devices system got installed in CTA buses and replaced those black boxes just above the windshields above the operators' heads and directly controlled what the destination signs displayed.

You must be talking about the 31 31st to ARCH/ASHLAND sign.

I'm currently on #4333. The driver's Clever Devices control panel is displaying a Windows desktop with the command line open. That would probably explain why the bus isn't appearing on Bus Tracker and next-stop announcements aren't functioning. Destination sign is set correctly. And there's definitely more of an engine rumble when idling compared to the hybrids.

I'm currently on #4333. The driver's Clever Devices control panel is displaying a Windows desktop with the command line open. That would probably explain why the bus isn't appearing on Bus Tracker and next-stop announcements aren't functioning. Destination sign is set correctly. And there's definitely more of an engine rumble when idling compared to the hybrids.

Did you happen to notice the transmission panel and whether it's a ZF transmission or an Allison transmission?

It's only a matter of time before drivers start playing solitaire on their layover.

It's only a matter of time before drivers start playing solitaire on their layover.

I was figuring something like that. In fact, Pace says they have upgrade the IBS because it works on DOS, probably for that reason.

And, pretty soon, there won't be any buses on J14 on BusTracker. Only 8 now.