4300/4330-series DE60LF/D60LF - Updates

BusHunter

The shift of the higher-numbered 4300s back to the South Side is likely in preparation for the expanded bus service during the Red Line shutdown. There could also be a May pick in which Kedzie would lose its remaining artic-worthy routes to North Park - at which point Kedzie would become one of three garages (along with Chicago and Forest Glen) that are essentially only 40-foot capable (at least for the time being).

The first sentence makes sense because Kedzie doesn't need anywhere near that many artics to begin with.

The shift of the higher-numbered 4300s back to the South Side is likely in preparation for the expanded bus service during the Red Line shutdown. There could also be a May pick in which Kedzie would lose its remaining artic-worthy routes to North Park - at which point Kedzie would become one of three garages (along with Chicago and Forest Glen) that are essentially only 40-foot capable (at least for the time being).

The first sentence makes sense because Kedzie doesn't need anywhere near that many artics to begin with.

So if Kedzie loses it's remaining artic worthy routes to North Park, where would it's artics go? South Side? (probably the case with #4300's) Even more artics fo North Park?

So if Kedzie loses it's remaining artic worthy routes to North Park, where would it's artics go? South Side? (probably the case with #4300's) Even more artics fo North Park?

Most of them (both 4000s and 4300s) will go to the South Side if that occurs. A few will go to North Park. And there will be some artic transfers between North Park and one of the South Side garages.

The consequence of this is that if that occurs, if Kedzie does lose its artics, it would likely pick up 40-footers 1598-1600, 1602, 1604, 1605, 1607, 1609, 1611 and 1613 from 103rd (and possibly a few Novas from 77th) while the 1270s (from 1275 on up) and some of the 1280s that are currently at 77th would end up at Forest Glen.

Status 5/6/13

Hybrid

4300-4320 103

4321 Kedzie

4322 77

4323-4331 103

4332 77

Diesel

4333 Kedzie

4334-4335 103

4336 Kedzie

4337-4339 103

4340-4344 Kedzie

4345 77

4346-4347 Kedzie

4348 103

4349 77

4350-4353 103

4354 77

4355-4356 Kedzie

4357 103

4358 Kedzie

4359 103

4360 Kedzie

4361-4363 103

4364 Kedzie

4365-4368 77

4369 not in yet

4370-4389 77

4390-4391 103

4392 77

4393 not in yet

4394 103

4395-4399 not in yet

93 in service

I can see the shifts and assignments of any remaining undelivered or unassigned artics to 77th and 103rd given the Dan Ryan branch shutdown is 11 days away and counting. But I can't say I see trying to shift Kedzie's share of 125 and 151 trips, or the 134, 143 and 156 among some of what Kedzie uses artics on up to North Park. Remember North Park is also overstacked with artics. 103rd is also now a bit overstacked with artics now too to be honest but that can partially be explained by the Dan Ryan project. Getting back to Kedzie and North Park though, the only remaining to explain overabundance of artics with those two is a wait for some completion of garage rehabs that would make at least 74th and Chicago artic ready out of the remaining three garages. Forest Glen is questionable from CTA 5750 and a few others' observations that its layout makes space considerations come into even bigger play than other garages in terms of artic assignments.

I can see the shifts and assignments of any remaining undelivered or unassigned artics to 77th and 103rd given the Dan Ryan branch shutdown is 11 days away and counting. But I can't say I see trying to shift Kedzie's share of 125 and 151 trips, or the 134, 143 and 156 among some of what Kedzie uses artics on up to North Park. Remember North Park is also overstacked with artics. 103rd is also now a bit overstacked with artics now too to be honest but that can partially be explained by the Dan Ryan project. Getting back to Kedzie and North Park though, the only remaining to explain overabundance of artics with those two is a wait for some completion of garage rehabs that would make at least 74th and Chicago artic ready out of the remaining three garages. Forest Glen is questionable from CTA 5750 and a few others' observations that its layout makes space considerations come into even bigger play than other garages in terms of artic assignments.

Could be 103rd is going to take care of some of the loop service like #125, #134, #143 at least for the 5 months. I wouldn't assume all those routes are going to North Park. From what I've heard all garages are sending extra equipment because of the Ryan project. But that doesn't mean that all garages are going to serve it directly. Could be some are just going to help out in the loop and leave places like 77th to better serve the Ryan.

Could be 103rd is going to take care of some of the loop service like #125, #134, #143 at least for the 5 months. I wouldn't assume all those routes are going to North Park. From what I've heard all garages are sending extra equipment because of the Ryan project. But that doesn't mean that all garages are going to serve it directly. Could be some are just going to help out in the loop and leave places like 77th to better serve the Ryan.

This could signal the temporary end of artic service on some local routes (such as the #12 Roosevelt) on weekends. The #12, #22 and possibly #151 might have to operate entirely with 40-footers for the duration of the Red Line project. And some Kedzie routes with lower ridership levels, such as the #21 Cermak and #39 Pershing, might have some or all of their runs operated by another, non-artic garage (such as Chicago, Forest Glen or 74th) for the five-month duration.

This could signal the temporary end of artic service on some local routes (such as the #12 Roosevelt) on weekends. The #12, #22 and possibly #151 might have to operate entirely with 40-footers for the duration of the Red Line project. And some Kedzie routes with lower ridership levels, such as the #21 Cermak and #39 Pershing, might have some or all of their runs operated by another, non-artic garage (such as Chicago, Forest Glen or 74th) for the five-month duration.

#22 and #152 will continue to see artic service, especially when Lane Tech lets out(#152) and for Cubs games(#152, #22). That will not change even during the Red Line shutdown.

It also doesn't necessarily translate to Kedzie losing its artic routes or giving up all its artics either. To further sw's point about trying to get away with knocking out artic use on the 22 for those fives months (and yes on Cubs game days I'd really like to see that), I'd be interested in seeing going to 82 Kimball/Homan riders for example and telling them that what relief in crowding they may have been getting on that route will now get taken away only a couple months in because CTA "gave away all the west side big bendy buses"* to the south side which at about 104 total artics is at double the number of artics assigned from when 4300s started arriving this past December. And they're currently in a somewhat lopsided assignment in part due to the Dan Ryan shutdown coming 10 days from now and 74th not yet being ready to house artics. If not for the shutdown 103rd is actually overstacked in artics now like North Park and Kedzie. Plus we've already gone over the argument that could be made that 77th could also make some use of artics on the 2, 3, and possibly the 87. And the 8 also comes into that mix now that 77th has assignment of that route since the December decrowd restructurings as some on here had been advocating.

They must be really worried about the Ryan if there going as far as pulling artics off the west side. Now that you mention it with the #82, what's to stop the #82 from being shared with NP? The #82 already has NP school runs ran with NP artics, if they really wanted to get the #82 more artics they could do that no problem, but the priority is the #156, #134, #143, #125. They have to get those routes some artics before they worry about the #82.

Wait..where did this whole "Kedzie is losing all its artics" thing come from?

Granted, my finger isn't as close to being on the pulse as it used to be, but CTA did just receive 100 new artics, which gives them 100 more than they had a few months ago, and they do still need to operate the rest of their system while the Red Line is under construction.

There will surely be some bus shifting the weekend before the shutdown, but the 156 still needs to run, and the thousands of people that jam themselves onto those buses every day aren't going away just because a segment of a rail route they never use anyway is being torn up. There would be no point in running it out of 103rd when the Red Line is down any more than there would be today while the Red Line is still up and running.

Wait..where did this whole "Kedzie is losing all its artics" thing come from?

Granted, my finger isn't as close to being on the pulse as it used to be, but CTA did just receive 100 new artics, which gives them 100 more than they had a few months ago, and they do still need to operate the rest of their system while the Red Line is under construction.

There will surely be some bus shifting the weekend before the shutdown, but the 156 still needs to run, and the thousands of people that jam themselves onto those buses every day aren't going away just because a segment of a rail route they never use anyway is being torn up. There would be no point in running it out of 103rd when the Red Line is down any more than there would be today while the Red Line is still up and running.

Supposedly 156, 125, 134, 143 and maybe 151 Belmont runs could possibly become NP routes in this next pick. And some are interpretting that as the end of Kedzie needing artics causing more artics to move south in exchange for 40 footers. Sounds like a replay of what happened with 77th losing the 6 to 103rd and subsequently its artics.

Well the rumor mill was that NP was going to supply about 40 artics, that seems to have changed to Kedzie. With Kedzie losing some artic routes lately to NP, that's made them a stronger candidate for the borrowing out of artics. When you think of it, all Kedzie has that really needs artics is the #156, #134, #143, #125. NP has gained almost half as many artics (30) as Kedzie has in there entire artic fleet. Plus Kedzie has what the south side wants right now and that's the #4300's, Sounds like the #4300's will be doing the shuttles. They want that to be exclusive artics. While they may not lose all the Kedzie artics, they probably will lose the #4300's. I think the concern is that they don't have enough artics for the south side. They wanted 100 artic buses. Without counting the jump buses and what serves the #6, where do you think there going to get more artics to fit the bill? There going to need buses from somewhere.

They wanted 100 artic buses. Without counting the jump buses and what serves the #6, where do you think there going to get more artics to fit the bill? There going to need buses from somewhere.

Those 100 buses were delivered between November and this month.

That still leaves the 208 buses from 2008-2009 that are still in service, serving the same routes that will continue to run the same service levels as today. Whether Kedzie keeps 4300s or winds up with only 4000s is irrelevant. There's a huge difference between Kedzie not having 4300s and Kedzie not having artics.

• Upvote 1

Supposedly 156, 125, 134, 143 and maybe 151 Belmont runs could possibly become NP routes in this next pick. And some are interpretting that as the end of Kedzie needing artics causing more artics to move south in exchange for 40 footers. Sounds like a replay of what happened with 77th losing the 6 to 103rd and subsequently its artics.

It sounds like 134 and 143 will be routes shared by multiple garages again, just like they were in 2010-2011 when buses from 103rd and 77th were seen on those routes.

It sounds like 134 and 143 will be routes shared by multiple garages again, just like they were in 2010-2011 when buses from 103rd and 77th were seen on those routes.

I seen 103rd doing runs on those 2 last year but after the Decrowding idk if that changed...