7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

They finally put a 7900 on a "longer" route.

7901 is now on #2 going northbound.

Unless interlined, not much longer.

I suppose someone should report a route where the bus is out all day (or at least not restricted to rush hour).

Both #7900 and #7901 is on the 2 here in the south loop. I'm on #7901. I'm finally going to hear this bus at high speed!!

A few shots...

post-304-0-34314400-1404359585_thumb.png

post-304-0-93587200-1404359779_thumb.png

post-304-0-89195200-1404359936_thumb.png

Hopefully they got the extended warranty on the Clark/Division elevator because it's already out of service!!

post-304-0-70286100-1404360147_thumb.png

• Upvote 4

Both #7900 and #7901 is on the 2 here in the south loop. I'm on #7901. I'm finally going to hear this bus at high speed!!

So how did they sound at high speed? Maybe on the next opportunity that one of them is available on the 2, you or one of the other members can get some video of your ride catching that newer Cummins ISL 9 operating under higher speed conditions. :)

I saw a 7900 downtown as a 1 while heading back southbound working the 29 but I saw only a glimpse through my side mirror lol. I just happen to see it pass I was probably a block and a half from Adams street as I saw it pass the intersection I was so mad lol. Once I got downtown my intentions were to hopefully catch it in action. Then once I got to navy pier I was hoping I would see it there as a 2 so I can get a closer look at it but it was just me and 65 grand bus (old nova btw lol) at the time. But I'm sure I'll catch it one of these days lol.

sw is correct though that this particular set of new buses seems to be going through a longer testing period. He's also right that it seemed that when the 1000s, 4000s and 4300s had similar numbers as the number of 7900s on property, those models were put in full service as a series and not under testing phase conditions as the 7900s seem to be stuck in still two months after CTA stated it hoped to have this series starting full service.

So how did they sound at high speed? Maybe on the next opportunity that one of them is available on the 2, you or one of the other members can get some video of your ride catching that newer Cummins ISL 9 operating under higher speed conditions. :)

It sounds pretty good, the take off speed is as good as a NF, the only thing I can complain about was during high acceleration braking the brake pads or whatever seem to be really grabbing like something was different about it or off. Maybe it was the newness of the pads, but you could feel the pads grabbing. Kind of strange and hard to describe. The operator was pumping the brakes like they suspected something too. Maybe the pressure was too high. One thing I noticed on the bus was when he was doing all those stops on 51st, when the doors would open the lighting would get brighter and when the door closed it would get darker but only slightly like maybe if you removed 20 watts from a light bulb.

BTW, there was no rep on my bus

It sounds pretty good, the take off speed is as good as a NF, the only thing I can complain about was during high acceleration braking the brake pads or whatever seem to be really grabbing like something was different about it or off. Maybe it was the newness of the pads, but you could feel the pads grabbing. Kind of strange and hard to describe. The operator was pumping the brakes like they suspected something too. Maybe the pressure was too high. One thing I noticed on the bus was when he was doing all those stops on 51st, when the doors would open the lighting would get brighter and when the door closed it would get darker but only slightly like maybe if you removed 20 watts from a light bulb.

Maybe that's one of the final kinks being worked out before putting more on the road beyond 7900 and 7901. They definitely don't want a situation where they have to continually replace the brakes sooner than usual because the brake pads keep grabbing in a manner that they shouldn't be. What you noticed might be hard to describe but it sounds like it would be putting the brake pads under more wear than typically experienced on CTA buses. And to answer your question in your other post, I haven't seen anyone report anymore being here beyond those that we already know about from earlier reports and photographic confirmation.

sw is correct though that this particular set of new buses seems to be going through a longer testing period. He's also right that it seemed that when the 1000s, 4000s and 4300s had similar numbers as the number of 7900s on property, those models were put in full service as a series and not under testing phase conditions as the 7900s seem to be stuck in still two months after CTA stated it hoped to have this series starting full service.

Something must be throwing caution flags into putting these buses into service right away. Maybe it's the brakes like BusHunter said, the lighting might just be like a amp draw when the doors are closed as opposed to being opened(I don't think that would hold the buses from being put out in service in greater numbers than just 7900 and 7901 currently). For the moment, whatever the issue is, it's not serious enough to stop them from being in service period, as 7900 and 7901 are in service on routes out of 77th. If it was severe enough, they'd pull them off service like the Bombardier railcars to address the problem.

Frankly I'm kind of surprised they are not getting the #7900's at South Shops out for the fireworks night here in the city. Usually they bring out all the extra new or old equipment they have on those nights as that is most likely the busiest travel day of the year. They even park buses downtown.

Frankly I'm kind of surprised they are not getting the #7900's at South Shops out for the fireworks night here in the city. Usually they bring out all the extra new or old equipment they have on those nights as that is most likely the busiest travel day of the year. They even park buses downtown.

True. But with Emanuel changing the Taste's schedule to one being five days in mid-July, there's no longer the big Grant Park fireworks show on July 3, and therefore the only big fireworks show downtown of interest and calls for extra CTA service is that at Navy Pier. So we would have been waiting until tomorrow night anyway to see what buses got used for fireworks show service.

A few shots...

attachicon.gifcta 7900 on the 2.png

attachicon.gifcta 7901 on the 2.png

attachicon.gif7901 side.png

Hopefully they got the extended warranty on the Clark/Division elevator because it's already out of service!!

attachicon.gifclark division elevator not working..png

Great Pics!! :D I have a feeling that they might be posted on this site. As for Clark/Division, in the words of the great Ron Burgundy, "Boy, that escalated quickly!"

I still believe that they will ship 7900 and 7901 to either 74th or FG for testing. I remember a driver at 77th telling me that just because a certain garage doesn't get a new bus right away, their operators of that garage still have to train ahead of time. I still think they are training 77th because they have a couple hundred operators.

I still believe that they will ship 7900 and 7901 to either 74th or FG for testing. I remember a driver at 77th telling me that just because a certain garage doesn't get a new bus right away, their operators of that garage still have to train ahead of time. I still think they are training 77th because they have a couple hundred operators.

The part about training makes sense because an operator never knows when he might transfer to a different garage. And it's quite reasonable that he or she be familiar with the controls of any bus model CTA has in revenue service at any given time. For example, I'm sure it's not unusual for an operator to go from an all 40 footer garage to one that has artics during one of the changes of pick and encounter a day when the only bus type available to go on his assigned route being an articulated bus.

I've spotted #7907 parked in front of the South Shop by the fence earlier today.

Wish I could say that had some meaning garmon, but 7907 has been at South Shops for awhile now along with 7904, 7910, 7920 and 7927. It could've just been moved there by South Shops staff(try saying that three times fast! :rolleyes: ).

Wish I could say that had some meaning garmon, but 7907 has been at South Shops for awhile now along with 7904, 7910, 7920 and 7927. It could've just been moved there by South Shops staff(try saying that three times fast! :rolleyes: ).

Lol I know but I think the other ones may be inside but my goodness, they're really behind of being in service.

I think the brakes can be adjusted so that people won't go through the windshield when the brakes are applied.

I think the brighter light function is a safety one. A lot of transit agencies, Pace included, do not have the first light come on at all unless the doors are opened. Of course it is bright when it does come on. The fact that it is always on on these buses is a CTA practice, but to slightly brighten the light is to make passenger boarding and alighting safer (watch your step).

• Upvote 2

Shots of #7907, #7910, and #7927 at the front of the South Shop. Hopefully they can be released from CTA Jail! :lol:

Great pictures!! I see we finally got pictures of #7927!! I thought Kevin might have got some bad info when he said it was here. What's sort of distressing about this picture is the absence of more #7900's. I mean what happened? Delivery has stopped? With the absence of #7904 maybe they are getting ready to send that one to 77th unless it's inside South Shops, but something is definitely up and must not be to CTA's liking if delivery has stopped.

Hopefully we won't have to wait like what happened at SEPTA with I'm somewhat alarmed to say Nova bus.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2014/07/03/after-yearlong-delay-septa-begins-road-testing-its-new-buses/

• Upvote 2

I think the brakes can be adjusted so that people won't go through the windshield when the brakes are applied.

I think the brighter light function is a safety one. A lot of transit agencies, Pace included, do not have the first light come on at all unless the doors are opened. Of course it is bright when it does come on. The fact that it is always on on these buses is a CTA practice, but to slightly brighten the light is to make passenger boarding and alighting safer (watch your step).

The lighting I agree with you on. Maybe that's a factory setting that hasn't been removed from #7901 yet. #7900 didn't have it. The brakes I just don't know what to say, but you only notice it like when you come off Lake Shore Drive. Something seemed up. If I was CTA I'd want to look at the brakes. Maybe someone is using the wrong brake pads or something.

Great pictures!! I see we finally got pictures of #7927!! I thought Kevin might have got some bad info when he said it was here. What's sort of distressing about this picture is the absence of more #7900's. I mean what happened? Delivery has stopped? With the absence of #7904 maybe they are getting ready to send that one to 77th unless it's inside South Shops, but something is definitely up and must not be to CTA's liking if delivery has stopped.

Hopefully we won't have to wait like what happened at SEPTA with I'm somewhat alarmed to say Nova bus.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2014/07/03/after-yearlong-delay-septa-begins-road-testing-its-new-buses/

Whoa! Slow down! #7904 is there too but on the Vincennes side! :lol: I decided not to take a shot of it since I already took one a while ago. Let's just hope that Nova Bus is not an achilles heel towards CTA. :p

The lighting I agree with you on. Maybe that's a factory setting that hasn't been removed from #7901 yet. #7900 didn't have it. The brakes I just don't know what to say, but you only notice it like when you come off Lake Shore Drive. Something seemed up. If I was CTA I'd want to look at the brakes. Maybe someone is using the wrong brake pads or something.

Then let's get a contract out with someone local to fix the brake pad issue like Midas.... :P:lol: No, but all joking aside... c'mon already... the New Flyers have been running circles around Nova. I don't think the 6400's took this long between 2000 and 2002 when they were being delivered.