7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

7 hours ago, Busjack said:

Nothing's changed since the 5800s, except the date.

However, from that date, it appears that tthe sign was programmed for the next pick, so unless it is reprogrammed, it will be like that until 6/19, when the program is scheduled to kick in.

Most likely all the buses are programmed that way. That one just didn't have any communication between the sign and route. It knew it was on #77 hence the #77 to Central by mr cta it just didn't have a visual reference. 

So that bus should have the new #11 signs on it to Webster or however they want to word it.

35 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

That one just didn't have any communication between the sign and route. It knew it was on #77 hence the #77 to Central by mr cta it just didn't have a visual reference. 

It gets back to Andre saying that the GPS has various functions, including announcements, Bus Tracker, and passenger count, but only tells the Luminator box to put up sign 1F3B. The Luminator box still has to be programmed with the signs.

My reference to 5800s in about 1999 supports that, as then they did not have GPS.

So, basically you got it backward.

You do have it correct that 11 Lincoln/11 Fulltn Red Line is probably the main change.

I was noticing it was kind of warm on #8214 and the bus seemed to be blowing vents (warm air/outside temperature) This weekend I hear they are calling for heat indexes around 100 degrees. That's going to be a painful experience on these #8200's. O.o

11 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

I was noticing it was kind of warm on #8214 and the bus seemed to be blowing vents (warm air/outside temperature) This weekend I hear they are calling for heat indexes around 100 degrees. That's going to be a painful experience on these #8200's. O.o

Unless the past ventilation issues on the 7900s as a series has been addressed. If not, riding the #9 as I'll need to do this weekend is going to be an interesting experience to say the least. 

28 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

15 minutes ago, jajuan said:

Unless the past ventilation issues on the 7900s as a series has been addressed. If not, riding the #9 as I'll need to do this weekend is going to be an interesting experience to say the least. 

I guess you both are assuming the air conditioner doesn't work.

31 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Not assuming anything. Thinking of past personal experience that exhaust heat from the buses' engines and cooled air from the air conditioning didn't always even out well on hot days. The engine heat seems to pool at the rear of the bus and make it feel much like a sauna as BH has had occasions saying. And I'm saying this weekend will tell whether anyone in the riding public has brought that to CTA attention and whether that particular problem has been fixed. 

25 minutes ago, Busjack said:

It works it's just a matter of how efficiently. I'll tell you now the #6400's are colder. If they can't solve this we may hear stories in a few years about rolling saunas that we used to hear in the fishbowl era. I suppose if worse comes to worst they can always put openable windows like they did with the fishbowls but they probably don't want to go there. The Eldorado's by contrast have good air conditioners. People even have complained of being too cold. xD

Well I guess it's day two of boo on belmont. (ghost bus parade) No way can only #8200, #8214 and #8207 be the only #8200's out there. If you believe that I have a bridge to sell you!! :P At least they made progress #8207 wasn't showing up yesterday.

Some guy was trying to open the hopper windows on #8207 but they were locked. Then he felt the vents because you don't feel any air. I felt up there it's coming out but it's weak and warm. He might be singing "too hot" by kool and the gang this weekend. LOL

On 6/4/2016 at 4:12 PM, Pace831 said:

So, arguably, FG still has the most uncomfortable buses. Beats taking a shower or breaking down, though.

I think comparative to the other CTA and Pace series,  the 7900s AC don't cool as well as the other buses,  with the possible exception of the Orions 6000s, though some of those cool quite well.   I would expect the rear row by the engine to be a little more warmer on any bus,  not exponentially so.

44 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I think comparative to the other CTA and Pace series,  the 7900s AC don't cool as well as the other buses,  with the possible exception of the Orions 6000s, though some of those cool quite well.   I would expect the rear row by the engine to be a little more warmer on any bus,  not exponentially so.

And with the 7900s, it seems to be exponentially so when riding on a really warm to hot summer day.

The CTA Pres was down at Belmont Blue line this afternoon. He was with a few white shirts from hq. They were looking at a cell phone probably trying to figure out why the buses weren't appearing on the tracker. He was talking to an operator on #8205, like he was inquiring what was wrong. I think the operator said that it was broke, but I couldn't hear too closely. I was a good 10 feet away. He must have really liked it when #8206 showed up with the same problem as yesterday. I thought maybe it would get held in but it was out there as a tripper. The rain seemed to keep the crowds away. I would have liked him to see the massive crowds that appear there.

Several 8200's sitting at SS by fence yesterday with the hatch on top in rear open. Lack of cooling can mean one of two things, basically. Either there is something wrong with the thermostats that control HVAC system, or there is a problem with the cooling system, either evaporator, condenser or coolant leaks. I certainly hope people don't start popping windows, because they will never stop! Keep these buses off the street until problem is located and fixed.

7 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

hatch on top in rear open

That's not the air conditioner but the engine cooling system. The air conditioner is on the roof, like on the 6400s. That, though, may be the source of the heat BH complained about,

14 hours ago, ibebobo said:

Sorry to do this but have been away for quite awhile and don't have time to scroll through all of these posts!  When did the 7900s (or 8200s)start at FG?  

Click on the pictorial chronicle in my signature that will tell you all about it. Or if you don't see it the answer is 6/4/16 last saturday.

22 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

Several 8200's sitting at SS by fence yesterday with the hatch on top in rear open. Lack of cooling can mean one of two things, basically. Either there is something wrong with the thermostats that control HVAC system, or there is a problem with the cooling system, either evaporator, condenser or coolant leaks. I certainly hope people don't start popping windows, because they will never stop! Keep these buses off the street until problem is located and fixed.

Unfortunately, I think this is a design defect or it could be a part that needs recalling, because this happening with the entire fleet. It doesn't seem unique to FG. As far as popping windows you can't pop the rears beyond the back door because they are permanently sealed in. Only the front 4 or 5 windows can pop. The fact that this hasn't really been resolved in 2 years makes me believe it's a futile issue that is difficult to resolve. Maybe they can check for refrigerant though because what I experienced yesterday was like the bus didn't even have that. 

Most of the 7900s I have seen on the street have all of the hopper windows closed   This tells me that the AC is working on these buses.   Perhaps it is warmer in the rear and even more so with a standing load.  A telling sign of a bus with no AC has all of the hopper windows open with all roof hatches up AND the lower windows pushed out. 

The issue isn't at the front part of the bus. Yes you can feel the A/C there. It's at the rear closer to the engine with some buses. There the heat off the engine has been known to overwhelm the A/C and make it feel as if it's not blowing. 

4 hours ago, BusHunter said:

No #8200's are out on the #77 today, but maybe their invisible!! xD

They must be invisible on the tracker. I visibly saw at least one  in service on there today but didn't catch the full fleet number.

I double checked BusTracker BH, and there are a couple of gaps reflecting missing buses rather than those you'd see due to bus bunching. I think that may be where 8200s should be based on my visibly seeing 8200s on Belmont today. So looks like this is day three or four of FG New Novas popping up as ghost buses. 

Yeah I thought I might have scared everyone off with my hot forecast. Lol!! But there out here. I'm on one now testing the AC. They seem to be better it's like you say just don't sit in the rear. The front isn't all that great either but there's like 8 seats beyond the back door that are alright. That's where I'll be sitting. #8200 #8201 #8204 and #8206 are out here on the west end.