CTA Accidents

garmon757

16 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

https://abc7chicago.com/cta-red-line-disruption-dan-ryan-shutdown-person-on-the-tracks-79th-street/6145672/

So, just to give you an idea of how much back-up this guy caused: My grandmother got on a 95 at 93rd/Western and I got on a 386 at 75th/Harlem around ~4:40p. I took the 386 > Orange Line > Green Line > 3 (Garfield to 76th) > Walked, and got home at 6:30p. She took the 95 > 3 and didn't get home until 6:45p. I actually spotted her NB 3 w/o realizing when I got off the bus around 6:15p, somewhere around 81st or so. Traffic on King Dr was horrendous from Anthony head south. SB Dan Ryan was completely red from Garfield to 83rd and NB Dan Ryan was completely red from 87th to 103rd (I-57) and 107th (Bishop Ford) when I checked around 5:30p.

Station manager at Roosevelt on the intercom was urging Red Line passengers to take the 3, 4, 29 or Green Line. Red Line trains were also suspended south of Garfield. According to my grandmother, drivers were letting passengers in through the front and back at the same time on the 95 and the 3.

77th garage took a beating yesterday, added to what was going on at the redline, there was also a shooting on 79th and Vinncinnes which added more insult to injury to operators that had to make reliefs on several routes added with all nortbound service for the 3,4,8 and 29 was completely hampering service.

2 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

77th garage took a beating yesterday, added to what was going on at the redline, there was also a shooting on 79th and Vinncinnes which added more insult to injury to operators that had to make reliefs on several routes added with all nortbound service for the 3,4,8 and 29 was completely hampering service.

Get some rest, you've earned it. Funnily enough, I take the 379 + 79 and I probably would've been caught in that shooting, but my manager let us out early, so the 379 wasn't coming for 49 mins but the 386 was coming in 19, which is why I went the way I did, also inadvertently avoiding the red line fiasco.

77th was doing reliefs on the 29?

On Thursday south Jeffery was a mess. I was doing uber at 67th/Jeffery. I  had to drop a guy at walgreens at 71st and jeffery. The whole jeffery was lined up 71st to 67th. I was like that's got to be cause South Shore is closed sb. It's under construction. So I go down Jeffery got to 69th said screw this I'm going down the side street to the east. I get down there drop the guy off to discover cpd has Jeffery blocked at 71st. So I'm like look where im not working. I'm not fooling with that. Got up to 67th.  A cta supervisor was there and I was like hes going to detour the #J14 right. He let's three artics go south I'm like playing taps for them cause that's screwsville. Dont know how an artic is going to detour around those trains, but like we say at my bus company, we're on the clock!! Lol!! 

12 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

On Thursday south Jeffery was a mess. I was doing uber at 67th/Jeffery. I  had to drop a guy at walgreens at 71st and jeffery. The whole jeffery was lined up 71st to 67th. I was like that's got to be cause South Shore is closed sb. It's under construction. So I go down Jeffery got to 69th said screw this I'm going down the side street to the east. I get down there drop the guy off to discover cpd has Jeffery blocked at 71st. So I'm like look where im not working. I'm not fooling with that. Got up to 67th.  A cta supervisor was there and I was like hes going to detour the #J14 right. He let's three artics go south I'm like playing taps for them cause that's screwsville. Dont know how an artic is going to detour around those trains, but like we say at my bus company, we're on the clock!! Lol!! 

At that point,  the only SB alternative is Stiny Island,  but once an artic crosses 67th,  there is no where else to go but straight.  The 15 could stay in Stiny to 73rd, then run to Jeffery.   I suppose SV 26s stay in Jeffery to 75th, then run 75th to South Shore. 

Dont ask me how you could turn an artic at 71st/Jeffery. The train makes that too narrow. At 71st the intersection is one of the busiest places on Jeffery that's not really an area where you would want to  test out your cta roadeo skills. I drove my bus down 71st before and it gets really narrow at the intersections. Plus they have all these yield signs and people gun it across those tracks. You need about 4 eyes driving down there!! 

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

At that point,  the only SB alternative is Stiny Island,  but once an artic crosses 67th,  there is no where else to go but straight.  The 15 could stay in Stiny to 73rd, then run to Jeffery.   I suppose SV 26s stay in Jeffery to 75th, then run 75th to South Shore. 

40 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Dont ask me how you could turn an artic at 71st/Jeffery. The train makes that too narrow. At 71st the intersection is one of the busiest places on Jeffery that's not really an area where you would want to  test out your cta roadeo skills. I drove my bus down 71st before and it gets really narrow at the intersections. Plus they have all these yield signs and people gun it across those tracks. You need about 4 eyes driving down there!! 

Did you see my post?  You can't turn on 71st at Stony or Jeffery.

24 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Didnt know that. I've turned from 71st to Jeffery. Not with a bus though. 

I turn there hell I seen CPD turn there alot of times & when they wasn't in an emergency so I do what I want just like they do ?? lbs but turning a bus there is mission Impossible especially a artic unless a driver wants to tear some up & get fired go for it ???

10 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Get some rest, you've earned it. Funnily enough, I take the 379 + 79 and I probably would've been caught in that shooting, but my manager let us out early, so the 379 wasn't coming for 49 mins but the 386 was coming in 19, which is why I went the way I did, also inadvertently avoiding the red line fiasco.

77th was doing reliefs on the 29?

The 29 had its own issues during that ordeal, they were pretty much using the 24 routing from 83rd all the way towards 69th but there was so much grid lock you couldn't get through going down State because of traffic getting diverted off the expressway. 

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

Didnt know that. I've turned from 71st to Jeffery. Not with a bus though. 

You can make right turns, but you can't make left turns because of the tracks running in the center if 71st, st least not st the traffic signals.  At the side streets on 71st, you can turn left to cross the tracks, and vehicles crossing the tracks have the right of way.  This holds true along Exchange Ave south of 71st and well, since there are no traffic signals along Exchange. 

7 hours ago, artthouwill said:

You can make right turns, but you can't make left turns because of the tracks running in the center if 71st, st least not st the traffic signals.  At the side streets on 71st, you can turn left to cross the tracks, and vehicles crossing the tracks have the right of way.  This holds true along Exchange Ave south of 71st and well, since there are no traffic signals along Exchange. 

Yeah I know, but does left turning traffic have the right of way at the crossing because many drivers think yes they do they dont signal so you dont know they are there until they are there. Not the safest traffic area, proceed with caution. They need to put some signs up that say that. 

2 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Yeah I know, but does left turning traffic have the right of way at the crossing because many drivers think yes they do they dont signal so you dont know they are there until they are there. Not the safest traffic area, proceed with caution. They need to put some signs up that say that. 

There are Yield Signs along 71st, and I do remember some sign saying yield right of way to crossing traffic at those intersections.   I haven't been on east 71st lately to give you the exact wording, but the signs were at every applicable crossing on the left. 

6 hours ago, BusHunter said:

3 hours ago, artthouwill said:

There are Yield Signs along 71st, and I do remember some sign saying yield right of way to crossing traffic at those intersections.   I haven't been on east 71st lately to give you the exact wording, but the signs were at every applicable crossing on the left. 

If you're making a left turn that involves you crossing the tracks from 71st on to a side street or from a side street onto 71st you have the right of way to avoid getting stuck if the gates happen to come down so anyone coming down 71st needs to stop and yield for you to safely clear the tracks. Anyone who doesn't is an impatient @$$hole who is willing to risk multiple injuries just to be in a hurry. Probably applies to all set ups like this but we can't think of any examples because 71st is the only set up we know like this unless an out of towner with a similar set up in their city (most likely a center running light rail line) can chip in

10 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

If you're making a left turn that involves you crossing the tracks from 71st on to a side street or from a side street onto 71st you have the right of way to avoid getting stuck if the gates happen to come down so anyone coming down 71st needs to stop and yield for you to safely clear the tracks. Anyone who doesn't is an impatient @$$hole who is willing to risk multiple injuries just to be in a hurry. Probably applies to all set ups like this but we can't think of any examples because 71st is the only set up we know like this unless an out of towner with a similar set up in their city (most likely a center running light rail line) can chip in

I haven't been to Minneapolis since the LRTs opened,  but based on You Tube  videos, there are only left turns at major intersections, at least outside of Downtown Minneapolis and Downtown St Paul .

Was all over east 71st today. They have amber signs that say traffic from left has the right of way. 

I cant get over the irony of that setup. It's like 71st is the side street and the side streets are the main drag. 

Kind of interesting if you go west of Jeffery on 71st on the north side of the street almost every side street is cul de sacked. Was trying to get to 71st from East end and it's impossible. They got some nice big homes over there cant help but wonder if someone with clout lives over there. Saw someone with golf clubs on 67th. I think Jackson Park has a golf course over there. 

2 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Was all over east 71st today. They have amber signs that say traffic from left has the right of way. 

I cant get over the irony of that setup. It's like 71st is the side street and the side streets are the main drag. 

Kind of interesting if you go west of Jeffery on 71st on the north side of the street almost every side street is cul de sacked. Was trying to get to 71st from East end and it's impossible. They got some nice big homes over there cant help but wonder if someone with clout lives over there. Saw someone with golf clubs on 67th. I think Jackson Park has a golf course over there. 

I know Jesse Jackson Sr used to live over that way.  Yes. Jackson Park has a golf course .

8 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Can't have people getting stuck in the tracks 

18 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Can't have people getting stuck in the tracks 

That's interesting in itself. Both sets of gates on either side of the tracks run in unison. So if one car passes one gate can they cross the other? I guess I'm just not used to this setup. Did a trip over to Michigan City where the south shore runs in the street. There's a special setup there too. Don't remember if it was the train or car that gets the row. I guess back in the PCC and trolley days, this issue was all across Chicago.

8 hours ago, BusHunter said:

That's interesting in itself. Both sets of gates on either side of the tracks run in unison. So if one car passes one gate can they cross the other? I guess I'm just not used to this setup. Did a trip over to Michigan City where the south shore runs in the street. There's a special setup there too. Don't remember if it was the train or car that gets the row. I guess back in the PCC and trolley days, this issue was all across Chicago.

Yeah once you make the move across the tracks one has to yield for you to complete it. Of course it's the trains that have ROW but Id imagine the on south shore or any place with a similar set up the same rules are there just cause well, a vehicle stuck on tracks with an approaching train is just not pretty 

• 1 month later...