CTA Accidents

garmon757

Found my video footage of the Kedzie/Lake bus accident and uploaded it to youtube. If you want to see it here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9rotGyEQAw

I also uploaded what happened to #5526.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phvXU42xTdM

Look at that damage of #5526! There was no way it was gonna get back into service!

The guys suv, the striker, in that video didn't look too good either. Probably speeding was involved.

From what I remember of that incident, I think there was speeding involved on the part of the SUV driver it that's the same incident I'm remembering that involved a #12 Roosevelt bus and another vehicle on the westbound side of that overpass.

• 5 weeks later...

6406 was involved in an accident today on 62 Archer. We were at Archer at Lawndale and ur bus was accelerating (we have green), a driver of a Van decided to try to turn on Lawndale in front of bus. The Van runs into our Bus (which is halfway into the intersection). There was a Bike on the rack that took most (if not all) of impact, the Bike and the Rack were all messed up. All passengers including myself got onto another Bus about 5 minutes after accident (Driver took our information then let us continue, everyone was fine).

post-1998-0-12371400-1410147047_thumb.jppost-1998-0-12979000-1410147017_thumb.jp

• Upvote 3

6406 was involved in an accident today on 62 Archer. We were at Archer at Lawndale and ur bus was accelerating (we have green), a driver of a Van decided to try to turn on Lawndale in front of bus. The Van runs into our Bus (which is halfway into the intersection). There was a Bike on the rack that took most (if not all) of impact, the Bike and the Rack were all messed up. All passengers including myself got onto another Bus about 5 minutes after accident (Driver took our information then let us continue, everyone was fine).

Guy's lucky he only hit the bike rack. The NWI Times article on the actor crushed in Munster indicates that the actor was trying to do something similar in front of a semi,

WGN news (yes its on cable in Tucson) showed a CTA bus accident at 37th and Cottage Grove. At a quick glimpse, it appears that its bus #1940

Don't look for WGN news to be on cable too much longer. WGN America will be slowly cutting Chicago programming from its cable offering. In Fact, WGN America will no longer air Cubs and Sox games after this year and will not air Bulls and Blackhawks games this upcoming season. I guess you will have to go online to keep up with Chicago very soon. WGN will still be Chicago's very own and WGN America will be America's.

Don't look for WGN news to be on cable too much longer. WGN America will be slowly cutting Chicago programming from its cable offering. In Fact, WGN America will no longer air Cubs and Sox games after this year and will not air Bulls and Blackhawks games this upcoming season. I guess you will have to go online to keep up with Chicago very soon. WGN will still be Chicago's very own and WGN America will be America's.

Briefly OT on this subject...

For those Chicago baseball lovers, WGN is no longer carrying Cubs games on their radio affiliate(720-AM) next year. Cubs games will be carried on WBBM-780AM starting next season. As far as the games, they may still be on WGN-TV, but there is talk that the Cubs are going to have their own Cable TV channel by 2019. The White Sox may be following suit soon too, as it seems WGN doesn't wish to carry any sports, eventually doing away with Bulls and Blackhawks broadcasts too. I don't know if Comcast Sports Net will air any of our Chicago teams in the years ahead or not

No wonder I haven't seen it!! :rolleyes: That's going to be out for a little while, there's damage to the door frame and they probably have to order those parts!!

I don't know mate!!! The front is annihilated to the max my freaking goodness!!! My biggest concern is that bus joining #4323 in the "graveyard". :wacko:

I don't know mate!!! The front is annihilated to the max my freaking goodness!!! My biggest concern is that bus joining #4323 in the "graveyard". :wacko:

Not as bad as 4323, although if it were a NABI, it would have been out of service. I guess it depends how badly the platform was crushed; doesn't look like it was, just that the front scrunched the door.

It will be back, it just needs repair. I doubt there going to let a one year old bus go to pot over front end damage unless it's extensive. We might even see #4323 eventually.

Not as bad as 4323, although if it were a NABI, it would have been out of service. I guess it depends how badly the platform was crushed; doesn't look like it was, just that the front scrunched the door.

It will be back, it just needs repair. I doubt there going to let a one year old bus go to pot over front end damage unless it's extensive. We might even see #4323 eventually.

Only time will tell guys. I haven't heard any news about #4323.

To add in my two cents, a few of the recent accidents involving NF 1000s had those buses see similar damage and those buses came back to service after a few weeks out for repair. Heck look at 1148 (which was on the 9 today by the way) getting back to service and not yet undergoing a rehab. So 4327, just may go back in service since as others said the damage isn't as bad as with 4323. But that also means in reality all former Kedzie 4300s except one and not two went to NP.

To add in my two cents, a few of the recent accidents involving NF 1000s had those buses see similar damage and those buses came back to service after a few weeks out for repair. Heck look at 1148 (which was on the 9 today by the way) getting back to service and not yet undergoing a rehab. So 4327, just may go back in service since as others said the damage isn't as bad as with 4323. But that also means in reality all former Kedzie 4300s except one and not two went to NP.

Looking at those pictures again of #4327, the accident cracked the composite front end in two right below the window, that's why it's pushing on the door frame, so they might have to order that bus a whole new front end which is not good news. But being it's a pretty new bus, it's probably worth the effort to fix it.

Looking at those pictures again of #4327, the accident cracked the composite front end in two right below the window, that's why it's pushing on the door frame, so they might have to order that bus a whole new front end which is not good news. But being it's a pretty new bus, it's probably worth the effort to fix it.

I noticed. Again we've seen NF 1000s with nasty looking damage and they've managed to return to service and the 1000s are 5 to 8 years old. (Yes that means we're seeing buses that aren't quite yet halfway through their FTA service lives). So if they can repair a severely damaged bus from a series at rehab age, the same is at least possible for a bus that's barely a year and a half years old provided that damage isn't extensive enough to the point that you may as well be building a whole new bus instead.

I noticed. Again we've seen NF 1000s with nasty looking damage and they've managed to return to service and the 1000s are 5 to 8 years old. (Yes that means we're seeing buses that aren't quite yet halfway through their FTA service lives). So if they can repair a severely damaged bus from a series at rehab age, the same is at least possible for a bus that's barely a year and a half years old provided that damage isn't extensive enough to the point that you may as well be building a whole new bus instead.

Probably (as in the case of cannibalization) the issue is major structural damage. It appears that the frames were severely damaged on 6832 and 4323. On the other hand, a new end cap is probably just a bolt on.

• 4 weeks later...

I have doubts about that - when I saw the bus at the scene, most windows were popped out. This is an indication that a shock wave went thru the body from the impact. Who knows how much frame damage might have happened.

• Upvote 1

A few pictures popped up of the #2722 accident and #2639 damage. I never did get what happened exactly to #2722, but I can see why it's author was concerned with this happening basically right in front of them.

attachicon.gifcta 2722 accident roosevelt red line 2009.jpg attachicon.gifcta 2639.jpg

Ouch. Looks like 2639 got scorched pretty bad. Do you know anything about the accident?

Looks like that's the second time it got damaged, based on this photo.