CTA Accidents

garmon757

On 6/30/2020 at 2:51 PM, Mr.cta85 said:

You sound crazy as hell for that remark that operator wasn’t even charged to begin with and probably a better operator than you were. Just cause you never had a accident does not mean that this operator wasn’t a good, well trained, disciplined bus operator it just mean they reacted to the situation differently than how you think you would have smh. I’m real disappointed to see such comments coming from you especially a former operator who has the same training as we all did at Cta. I’m sure in your time at Cta you made mistakes so you don’t have the right to say such things when you know what you know about operating a bus and dealing with people from all walks of life.

Easy there!!!  Im just stating my opinion!  Arent I allowed to say whats on my mind??   Chill Bruh!!!

2 hours ago, CTA5750 said:

Easy there!!!  Im just stating my opinion!  Arent I allowed to say whats on my mind??   Chill Bruh!!!

You certainly are allowed to state what’s on your mind, and at the same time, can’t be surprised when an obviously inflammatory remark draws an inflamed response

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CTA5750 said:

You're free to state your opinions, but not free of the responses they may bring. Words have consequences. You went down a path of pretty much saying that because you were an operator you know what an operator could or should have done in accidents to which you had no true details about other than the end results. Given that each operator is different and not all accidents are the same, that's rather arrogant. So you can't be surprised that others who are current operators would be offended by that especially given that drivers of the other vehicles transit buses are sharing the road with are more reckless in their driving than operators contended with in the past. And yeah there is the fatigue factor that's quite possible since last pick, for which just about all fell under the state and city lockdown caused by COVID-19, operators had to contend with taking on the brunt of more work caused by a significant number of runs going unfilled when others were out due to calling out sick, taking personal days, or being out on vacations. On top of taking up the slack, this also resulted in dealing with the stresses of being berated and yelled at because of the big gaps in bus service that were happening on an increasing basis. Operators had also been dealing with more people riding the bus than actually should or might have been because of buses effectively being free due to the rear door boarding and CTA not putting the Ventra card readers at the rear doors as they said they would. Add to that being yelled at by riders already on the bus because they passed up riders at bus stops once their buses got too full as a result of the increased nonessential riding caused by the suspension of fare collection. That last part was in spite of CTA announcing several times over that buses are now to operate at reduced maximum passenger loads and that buses would become drop off only and run express should the reduced capacity be reached. Simply put the work environment is different than that from when you last worked for the agency, and that difference is large enough for you not to be able to say to present operator that you know what their individual responses could and should have been at the instant either of them experiences an accident especially  when you have zero knowledge or evidence of the contributing factors were leading to the accident. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, jajuan said:

You're free to state your opinions, but not free of the responses they may bring. Words have consequences. You went down a path of pretty much saying that because you were an operator you know what an operator could or should have done in accidents to which you had no true details about other than the end results. Given that each operator is different and not all accidents are the same, that's rather arrogant. So you can't be surprised that others who are current operators would be offended by that especially given that drivers of the other vehicles transit buses are sharing the road with are more reckless in their driving than operators contended with in the past. And yeah there is the fatigue factor that's quite possible since last pick, for which just about all fell under the state and city lockdown caused by COVID-19, operators had to contend with taking on the brunt of more work caused by a significant number of runs going unfilled when others were out due to calling out sick, taking personal days, or being out on vacations. On top of taking up the slack, this also resulted in dealing with the stresses of being berated and yelled at because of the big gaps in bus service that were happening on an increasing basis. Operators had also been dealing with more people riding the bus than actually should or might have been because of buses effectively being free due to the rear door boarding and CTA not putting the Ventra card readers at the rear doors as they said they would. Add to that being yelled at by riders already on the bus because they passed up riders at bus stops once their buses got too full as a result of the increased nonessential riding caused by the suspension of fare collection. That last part was in spite of CTA announcing several times over that buses are now to operate at reduced maximum passenger loads and that buses would become drop off only and run express should the reduced capacity be reached. Simply put the work environment is different than that from when you last worked for the agency, and that difference is large enough for you not to be able to say to present operator that you know what their individual responses could and should have been at the instant either of them experiences an accident especially  when you have zero knowledge or evidence of the contributing factors were leading to the accident. 

Bingo ??

On 7/2/2020 at 7:30 AM, CTA5750 said:

You can say whatever you want but when you say something like that, as a operator and just a person who look at things from all angles I’m going to respond to you or anybody who say something crazy like that. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Mr.cta85 said:

You can say whatever you want but when you say something like that, as a operator and just a person who look at things from all angles I’m going to respond to you or anybody who say something crazy like that. 

Facts. Until the report comes out we don't know what happened but just because one went without crash doesn't mean assume  operators are just being reckless ?

• Like 1

On 7/2/2020 at 7:30 AM, CTA5750 said:

It's okay to state your opinion.   You probably need to preface your posts by saying it's your opinion.   You can't get mad if someone disagrees with your opinion.  

As one who has taught Defensive Driving and was certified by the National Safety Council,  I trained drivers to drive at safe speeds and to look and recognize potential hazards ahead of time and be prepared to take defensive action   Without seeing video of these accidents,  it's too hard to just say the driver shouldn't have hir the buildings.   Those cameras not only show what the driver was seeing, it shows the drivers and what he was doing prior to initial impact.  Each case is different and will be judged accordingly.

Seemingly these accidents are NOT the fault of the driver.   I think your concern is the bus veering into buildings.  Ideally that Becker happens. 

The thing CTA  and others look to see is if an accident was PREVENTABLE    This a separate issue from fault.  What, if anything, could a professional driver reasonably have done to avoid the accident.   Ab accident may not be a driver's fault,  but he could still be charged with a PREVENTABLE accident. Most of these cases didn't seem to be preventable, though I can't judge without seeing the video. 

33 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

It's okay to state your opinion.   You probably need to preface your posts by saying it's your opinion.   You can't get mad if someone disagrees with your opinion.  

As one who has taught Defensive Driving and was certified by the National Safety Council,  I trained drivers to drive at safe speeds and to look and recognize potential hazards ahead of time and be prepared to take defensive action   Without seeing video of these accidents,  it's too hard to just say the driver shouldn't have hir the buildings.   Those cameras not only show what the driver was seeing, it shows the drivers and what he was doing prior to initial impact.  Each case is different and will be judged accordingly.

Seemingly these accidents are NOT the fault of the driver.   I think your concern is the bus veering into buildings.  Ideally that Becker happens. 

The thing CTA  and others look to see is if an accident was PREVENTABLE    This a separate issue from fault.  What, if anything, could a professional driver reasonably have done to avoid the accident.   Ab accident may not be a driver's fault,  but he could still be charged with a PREVENTABLE accident. Most of these cases didn't seem to be preventable, though I can't judge without seeing the video. 

Yea that's all they really look at is what the driver was doing that's why I say u  gotta say on game cuz I can get into a accident at any given time

Sometime between 2017 and 2019 a northbound King Dr bus crashed into a cab at Mc Cormick Place.  I should have contributed to this thread because I was on the bus ?.

No one was hurt [EMTs were not called] and the passengers boarded the next bus. I can't remember exactly when this happened though. This probably didn't make the news.

On 7/4/2020 at 8:58 AM, artthouwill said:

Oh, believe me, I dont get upset here!  It takes way more than these responses to get me going!!  ;)  But it does seem almost every post I make, regardless of the content, some on here cant hack it!  So they feel they have to get defensive and in a couple of instances Ive been insulted on here!   Im way better than that!  I wont waste my time!  I was an experienced operator myself, my dad was nearly 30 year veteran of CTA. I know how this agency operates and they dont always play with a fair deck. Im not some outsider. Ive been out there, Ive taken the verbal abuse and dealt with the bad traffic and weather conditions. I have scars of my own!!! I know what I know from what Ive observed and experienced! So dont anyone lecture me here!  But oh well!  Ill just continue to post my opinions and thoughts I guess and If you dont like what I have to say, you dont have to respond or insult!!  Im respectful of others thoughts and opinions here. I may not always agree but I let people have their say and I should expect the same courtesy. If you dont like what i have to say.....Then Just Keep Scrolling or Just Move On!  :)   I wish some members on here would act a little more civilized and let people speak their minds! 

On 7/4/2020 at 6:20 AM, Mr.cta85 said:

Thank You!!!  I will say whatever I want to say!  Why some of you get off defensive about it instead of acting a bit more civilized, is beyond me!  But whatever!  Ill continue to post!  Just keep in mind. You dont have to respond! No one is saying you have to!  

On 7/2/2020 at 11:36 AM, jajuan said:

Oh, believe me, I dont get upset here!  It takes way more than these responses to get me going!!  ;)  But it does seem almost every post I make, regardless of the content, some on here cant hack it!  So they feel they have to get defensive and in a couple of instances Ive been insulted on here!   Im way better than that!  I wont waste my time!  I know I strike a few nerves on this site. But I dpnt have to agree with what everyone here says! I will say whats on my mind!  Im an experienced bus operator myself, my dad was nearly 30 year veteran of CTA. Ive been around this agency almost my whole life. I pay attention!  And I know some of how this agency operates and that they dont always play with a fair deck. Im not some outsider, Ive been out there, Ive taken the verbal abuse and dealt with the bad traffic and weather conditions. I have scars of my own!!! I know what I know from what Ive observed and experienced! So dont anyone lecture me here!  But oh well!  Ill just continue to post my opinions and thoughts I guess and If you dont like what I have to say, you dont have to respond OR insult!!  Im respectful of others thoughts and opinions here. I may not always agree but I let people have their say and I should expect the same courtesy. If you dont like what i have to say.....Then Just Keep Scrolling or Just Move On!  :)   I wish some members on here would act a little more civilized and let people speak their minds!  Isnt that what this site is for???

On 7/4/2020 at 8:58 AM, artthouwill said:

I never heard of this before. A preventable accident is that. How can an accident that is not preventable be preventable? In my experience it seems the yards are more dangerous than the street. My bus was hit twice in the yard. Sometimes when its rush hour you just get too many buses in one spot people often make the mistake of forcing something you shouldnt force. My bus was at the gas island one day and a bus decides hes going to squeeze between me and a car there wasnt space to do this but the guy went anyway. Well my rear quarter panel said otherwise. Impatience is a bad thing when driving the bus. I was presented with a situation at the U of C I think I was going up university and some buses were double parked ends sticking out, not a clean park. So I stopped I was blocking traffic. So what do I do. Bow into pressure from the cars horning me and just go for it!! I also had an operator from another company tell me you can do this. But it's not his cdl on the line here. So I told him you need to move your bus. Eventually he moved. Problem solved. We have a company policy straight from brass, they say if you dont feel you can make it (clearance) dont try it. Having a little patience makes us better drivers. Dont know really how a bus can hit a tow truck and plow into a store when the limit is 30 mph? That intersection has a red light camera I believe. Theres lots of them on Fullerton, that street is camera city. I dont know if someone was beating the light or not but extra care should be taken driving a bus. I dont drive my car the same way I drive a bus and conditions dictate how I drive the bus. Whether the bus feels heavy or has no traction (ice) you just need to use caution. CTA does not frown on late drivers. 

Some of these tow truck drivers need more regulation. Saw a caddie being towed on grand in elmwood pk being towed from the rear. The front driving wheel must have came loose all of the sudden the caddie turns towards the parked cars taking out a postal truck and a few other cars. Guys caddie now had a messed up front end. 

Also by me they claim that 90 percent of the accidents are not the drivers fault. It's true hardly ever is it the cdl drivers fault. We put tons of miles on our vehicles so we have experience. Also the state puts us through the ringer with test after test and has rules like if you ever had a DUI you cant get a cdl. It may be different for truckers but like me you cant. If you ever get one your fired. Actually were probably the best drivers out there just from the discipline and weeding out from the state. Hard to say what happened but I'm sure cta can find out. 

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

I never heard of this before. A preventable accident is that. How can an accident that is not preventable be preventable? In my experience it seems the yards are more dangerous than the street. My bus was hit twice in the yard. Sometimes when its rush hour you just get too many buses in one spot people often make the mistake of forcing something you shouldnt force. My bus was at the gas island one day and a bus decides hes going to squeeze between me and a car there wasnt space to do this but the guy went anyway. Well my rear quarter panel said otherwise. Impatience is a bad thing when driving the bus. I was presented with a situation at the U of C I think I was going up university and some buses were double parked ends sticking out, not a clean park. So I stopped I was blocking traffic. So what do I do. Bow into pressure from the cars horning me and just go for it!! I also had an operator from another company tell me you can do this. But it's not his cdl on the line here. So I told him you need to move your bus. Eventually he moved. Problem solved. We have a company policy straight from brass, they say if you dont feel you can make it (clearance) dont try it. Having a little patience makes us better drivers. Dont know really how a bus can hit a tow truck and plow into a store when the limit is 30 mph? That intersection has a red light camera I believe. Theres lots of them on Fullerton, that street is camera city. I dont know if someone was beating the light or not but extra care should be taken driving a bus. I dont drive my car the same way I drive a bus and conditions dictate how I drive the bus. Whether the bus feels heavy or has no traction (ice) you just need to use caution. CTA does not frown on late drivers. 

Some of these tow truck drivers need more regulation. Saw a caddie being towed on grand in elmwood pk being towed from the rear. The front driving wheel must have came loose all of the sudden the caddie turns towards the parked cars taking out a postal truck and a few other cars. Guys caddie now had a messed up front end. 

Also by me they claim that 90 percent of the accidents are not the drivers fault. It's true hardly ever is it the cdl drivers fault. We put tons of miles on our vehicles so we have experience. Also the state puts us through the ringer with test after test and has rules like if you ever had a DUI you cant get a cdl. It may be different for truckers but like me you cant. If you ever get one your fired. Actually were probably the best drivers out there just from the discipline and weeding out from the state. Hard to say what happened but I'm sure cta can find out. 

I will restate since it appears that you didn't understand my post.    Fault is the person whose actions caused the accident.  Preventable means that there was a reasonable action that a professional driver could have taken whereas the accident wouldn't have happened.   Your stories prove what a preventable accident is.  Un your fuel Island incident,  had that driver waited for you or the car to move, the accident never happens .  In the example where you waited for the other bus to move, you prevented an accident from happening.  Had you proceeded and hit that other bus, both of you could be charged with a preventable accident.   You could have waited and he could have properly curbed his bus.  Reasons for preventable accidents include not recognizing or not reacting to a hazard.  An example 

A shuttle driver is driving Easton Ohio in the right lane.   There are two cans in front of him as they approach Clark.   The cab immediately in front of the shuttle keeps straight as the frintmost cab gets in the right turn lane to turn on Clark.  As the cab  in the turn lane starts to turn, so does the other cab.   That cab suddenly stops ti avoid hitting the initial turning cab.  The shuttle then slams into the stopped  cab.  The stopped can was cited for obstruction,  but the shuttle driver took no action to avoid this accident.  He could have changed lanes, or he could have slowed down approaching that intersection.  Looking at that video, he didn't seem to realize that cab had stopped until he hit him.  Xab was at fault,  shuttle driver charged with a preventable accident.

This occurred on a Sunday morning around 730a with very little traffic.   The shuttle was going 30 mph.

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

Uea I agree but also with the bus & tow truck I believe the toe truck was at fault probably ran the light like they be doing just like CPD be running red lights for no reason most of the time & casued the crash

25 minutes ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Uea I agree but also with the bus & tow truck I believe the toe truck was at fault probably ran the light like they be doing just like CPD be running red lights for no reason most of the time & casued the crash

Yeah the investigation already conducted determined that the driver of the tow truck was the cause of the entire accident. The operator of #8229 swerved to miss the accident as it was already in progress and that building was the unfortunate resting place. After viewing #8229 yesterday afternoon only one can guess how fast the operator was going. My guess was at least 20 mph but no where near 30 mph. 

57 minutes ago, Shannoncvpi said:

I wish the towing industry would be investigated and regulated.  These companies have contracts with various stores, strip malls, and apartmenr/townhome complexes.  They actively and aggressively seek cars to tow.  Some even have cameras installed in various lots looking for a person not patronizing a particular store to walk off the property.  Not long ago I was a victim.   I wasn't aware from the car 2 minutes.  The tow truck driver towed the car.  I tried to catch him but he sped off down a back road, never turning on any lights until he knew he clearly got away.   The way he operates was more like a thief.

I could wr,but I think drivers either get paid by the tow or get bonuses for executing a certain number or monetary amount of towa, hence the aggressive driving   

I've seen cars towed because a car was parked on the line if the neighboring handicap parking space.  Really?  SUVs and large Van's are even more lucrative. 

S &S towing is definitely one of the most thirsty and dirty tow companies ever. They patrol the Western suburbs of Cook and DuPage counties.   If you see them as the towing company listed for where you are parked, have your it's dotted, it's crossed,  and your ducks in a row .  They tried to charge me for two days when they didn't have my car for barely more than 24 hours.  I can't remember the name of the company bear 167th and Pulaski,  but they are the south side version of S⁸& S.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

I wish the towing industry would be investigated and regulated.  These companies have contracts with various stores, strip malls, and apartmenr/townhome complexes.  They actively and aggressively seek cars to tow.  Some even have cameras installed in various lots looking for a person not patronizing a particular store to walk off the property.  Not long ago I was a victim.   I wasn't aware from the car 2 minutes.  The tow truck driver towed the car.  I tried to catch him but he sped off down a back road, never turning on any lights until he knew he clearly got away.   The way he operates was more like a thief.

I could wr,but I think drivers either get paid by the tow or get bonuses for executing a certain number or monetary amount of towa, hence the aggressive driving   

I've seen cars towed because a car was parked on the line if the neighboring handicap parking space.  Really?  SUVs and large Van's are even more lucrative. 

S &S towing is definitely one of the most thirsty and dirty tow companies ever. They patrol the Western suburbs of Cook and DuPage counties.   If you see them as the towing company listed for where you are parked, have your it's dotted, it's crossed,  and your ducks in a row .  They tried to charge me for two days when they didn't have my car for barely more than 24 hours.  I can't remember the name of the company bear 167th and Pulaski,  but they are the south side version of S⁸& S.

Cant think of the name but i know who I talking about the one on iron & 35th the same way y they towed my girl truck back around xmas time if 2018 when she was legally parked she went while I was at work & paid instead of waiting for me lucky that morning she took pics of her truck because she had just got it & it wasn't parked illegal or nothing they charged her 450 bucks to get it back but lets just say I got her 450 back after taking a ride with the supervisor

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

Yeah the investigation already conducted determined that the driver of the tow truck was the cause of the entire accident. The operator of #8229 swerved to miss the accident as it was already in progress and that building was the unfortunate resting place. After viewing #8229 yesterday afternoon only one can guess how fast the operator was going. My guess was at least 20 mph but no where near 30 mph. 

Yea I figured he was gone be at fault because they are like 12 they are the cause of alot of accidents doing alot of shit with very lil room

56 minutes ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Cant think of the name but i know who I talking about the one on iron & 35th the same way y they towed my girl truck back around xmas time if 2018 when she was legally parked she went while I was at work & paid instead of waiting for me lucky that morning she took pics of her truck because she had just got it & it wasn't parked illegal or nothing they charged her 450 bucks to get it back but lets just say I got her 450 back after taking a ride with the supervisor

Ride with the supervisor?  I need details.  

• Haha 1