5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

• 3 weeks later...
On November 30, 2016 at 4:26 PM, chicagopcclcar said:

Testing suspensions for 7000s.  Posted this before. Forest Park branch is the best with its bad track.  Car numbers..#5307-08, 5471-72.

DH   

Oh boy, the irony that I saw that set circling around the Loop on 11/29 around 12:30-1PM.

• 4 months later...

Not in revenue service? I've already been around a few brass hanging out at most of the cta events. In fact they probably know who I am. You cant bushunt, railhunt and attend events without knowing a few people and the people you do know might gossip about who I am. I've learned quite a bit over the years on who is who at cta. 

Hi All;

What is the device (or component) on the 5000s which makes that high pitched  sound [usually heard when accelerating out of station for example]?

I've seen the word mentioned on the forum previously but can't think of it. :(

BTW, whatever this device is I think it must be common to electric transit vehicles with AC motors.

Thanks for your help!

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, geneking7320 said:

Hi All;

What is the device (or component) on the 5000s which makes that high pitched  sound [usually heard when accelerating out of station for example]?

I've seen the word mentioned on the forum previously but can't think of it. :(

BTW, whatever this device is I think it must be common to electric transit vehicles with AC motors.

Thanks for your help!

I posted your question on Subchat. I'll let you know about responses I get.

DH

On April 24, 2017 at 6:37 PM, chicagopcclcar said:

I posted your question on Subchat. I'll let you know about responses I get.

DH

geneking7320  Two responders say its the inverter, the device that changes the DC current into AC current. An another person said whistle or hum the first three notes from "There's a place for you" from West Side Story....he says most NYCTA AC railcars make that sound.

EDIT.....Get ready for school....Got this off Subchat.  "

It's the sound of the motors getting AC from the inverters. A standard inverter these days is a PWM beast - pulse width modulation. What it's actually doing is turning on and off the voltage to the motor very quickly (a few thousand times a second). By varying the amount of 'on' time, the drive can approximate a sine wave of any voltage or frequency. The whine is at the 'carrier frequency' of the drive. Due to all sorts of fun considerations, the carrier frequency of the drive gets adjusted up and down by the control electronics, as needed. Contrary to what's been written in places, both IGBT and GTO inverters change carrier frequency.

The actual drive makes a little bit of noise, but it's the motors that make the bulk of the noise.

Various manufacturers do things differently, resulting in different noises. Also, what the drive is trying to make the motor do, can dictate the noise. This also creates electrical noise, so there's typically filters on one or both sides of the inverter. There's also typically a converter and DC-link."

DH

• Kevin unpinned this topic
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
12 hours ago, rvwnsd said:

I just returned home from a visit to Chicago and observed that the outside of the 5000-series cars appears to be more oxidized than that of the 3200 cars. Anyone else observe this or is it just me?

Yes, the 5000's have started to develop a brown tinge on their exteriors. The 3200's currently look very shiny. Perhaps is it due to the fact that the 3200's have been recently rehabbed? 

13 hours ago, rvwnsd said:

I just returned home from a visit to Chicago and observed that the outside of the 5000-series cars appears to be more oxidized than that of the 3200 cars. Anyone else observe this or is it just me?

It's not just you.  At first I thought they weren't washing the cars but I discovered  that they were being washed..  I don't know if  the exteriors receive any pre or post treatment either from the factory or CTA.  Based on the appearance, you would think the 3200s were  the newer cars.

9 hours ago, artthouwill said:

It's not just you.  At first I thought they weren't washing the cars but I discovered  that they were being washed..  I don't know if  the exteriors receive any pre or post treatment either from the factory or CTA.  Based on the appearance, you would think the 3200s were  the newer cars.

Thank you! I was thinking the 2200's looked better when they were retired.

I won't get started on that awful, dirty-looking blue interior. Blech! 

7 hours ago, rvwnsd said:

Thank you! I was thinking the 2200's looked better when they were retired.

I won't get started on that awful, dirty-looking blue interior. Blech! 

Looks like a little boys' room. At least it used to be a clean little boys' room.

Looks like stainless steel isn't always stainless.

14 hours ago, Busjack said:

Looks like a little boys' room. At least it used to be a clean little boys' room.

Looks like stainless steel isn't always stainless.

I was thinking a Sears restroom, circa 1976. Essentially the same thing. 

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Tcmetro said:

I saw a 50xx on the Blue Line at O'Hare this morning, with a run number of 100. I didn't manage to snap a pic. I wonder if it's just for training?

Probably. Rumor has it that by this fall, the Pink and Green Lines may lose some or all of their 5000s and instead be mostly or completely equipped with old 2600s although nothing has been confirmed yet.

12 minutes ago, RJL6000 said:

Probably. Rumor has it that by this fall, the Pink and Green Lines may lose some or all of their 5000s and instead be mostly or completely equipped with old 2600s although nothing has been confirmed yet.

That runs contrary to a rumor someone posted about 100 3200s (after 3200 series  rehabs are completed) going to the Blue Line with 100 2600 series cars going to the Brown Line. 

It doesn't  make sense to send Pink and Green Line 5000s to the Blue Line seeing that half the cars would still be 2600s.  At least the 3200s are comparable and can train with the 2600s whereas the 5000s can't.  My idea was to move all of the 3200s ro Blue and move a like number of2600s to the Brown and Orange Lines.

I guess those 7000s can't get  here fast enough 

• Upvote 1