5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

By observation the training trains have been going by Chicago/Franklin more frequently lately. Most of the run numbers have either 8 or 5 for staters. But today it was actually 401. I'm just wondering if that is just to run on the Ravenswood connector or if they are actually training brown line or orange line operators or Brownage operators?

36 minutes ago, Chicagos_D said:

By observation the training trains have been going by Chicago/Franklin more frequently lately. Most of the run numbers have either 8 or 5 for staters. But today it was actually 401. I'm just wondering if that is just to run on the Ravenswood connector or if they are actually training brown line or orange line operators or Brownage operators?

Not sure why they'd have 8XX at Chicago/Franklin unless they're training Red Line drivers for "over-the-top" procedures. If they're using 4XX then they are indeed training Kimball drivers for Brown Line operations. Brownages are always 7XX runs.

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

Way to cause panic Operator Jack(not you Busjack, just generalization). Look at what he was quoted as saying in the Tribune article....

The train was unable go into the subway when there’s smoke, the operator noted, because "we’ll all die."

Pretty sure CTA Management will be talking with him about his choice of words during the delayed situation at Fullerton before the drop to the State Street Subway, since it's in print.

3 hours ago, sw4400 said:

Way to cause panic Operator Jack(not you Busjack, just generalization). Look at what he was quoted as saying in the Tribune article....

The train was unable go into the subway when there’s smoke, the operator noted, because "we’ll all die."

Pretty sure CTA Management will be talking with him about his choice of words during the delayed situation at Fullerton before the drop to the State Street Subway, since it's in print.

It could have been a misquote , but I agree that's not something to joke about. He makes it sound like the whole subway is so full of smoke that you can't breathe, and certainly some on the train wouldn't question that scenario. Worst case, a few people panicking would pull the cherry and everyone else follows them out of the train with no authorities there to guide them.

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, geneking7320 said:

I hope I haven't posted this question previously:

Has anyone noticed a "thump" sound [near the side doors] while riding a 5000 and your train is passed by an opposing train at speed?

I'd almost say the doors on the car  I'm riding are being "sucked out" by the passing train. :O

When I rode the Green Line I would usually stand by the doors, and I could see them move inward and outward every time the train moved sideways a bit, like on a curve or a nudge in the track. You could see the black rubber seal at the bottom moving. They would also move around when another train passed, and they made a small thumping noise when they moved. I think this is just how the 5000s have their door assemblies set up.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, geneking7320 said:

Has anyone noticed a "thump" sound [near the side doors] while riding a 5000 and your train is passed by an opposing train at speed?

I'd almost say the doors on the car  I'm riding are being "sucked out" by the passing train. :O

Air moves from high to low pressure areas, which we experience as wind. The fast-moving train pushes air ahead of it, so the pressure is high in front of the train. This air moves to the sides of the train, creating the gust of wind you feel when a fast train passes by. Fast-moving air has low pressure, and when the two trains pass each other with not much space between them, that space has very low air pressure. The doors are actually being pushed out by the higher pressure air inside the train, not "sucked" by the air outside.

4 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

The doors are actually being pushed out by the higher pressure air inside the train, not "sucked" by the air outside.

All relative. In this instance, I don't think the common view is that Roger Rabbit (or the air around him) pushed him into the vacuum cleaner.

13 hours ago, geneking7320 said:

2 hours ago, geneking7320 said:

Apparently I hadn't asked the question previously. xD

I do find it interesting that in CTA's 3 immediately prior sliding door cars [2400s,2600s,and 3200s] pressure changes did not cause similar thumping.

[That I am aware of anyway.]

I hope this is not indicative a future problem.

The last three had basically the same door mechanism, whereas the 5000s are quite different. They're sort of spring-loaded towards the middle of the car but if there's someone leaning on them or a vacuum on the outside they'll push towards the outside of the car and hit the track. Completely normal operation, not indicative of a problem.

On 3/1/2016 at 0:06 PM, ajm522 said:

Some of the 5000's on the Red Line are beginning to show their age. 5514 squeals and drags when pulling into and out of stops. Some of them are also not being cleaned properly. 

What do you mean "drags"? It could have been that a brake was stuck. The squealing could also have just been the ice scrapers. 5514 is definitely not old; less than a year to be precise.

29 minutes ago, briman94 said:

The last three had basically the same door mechanism, whereas the 5000s are quite different. They're sort of spring-loaded towards the middle of the car but if there's someone leaning on them or a vacuum on the outside they'll push towards the outside of the car and hit the track. Completely normal operation, not indicative of a problem.

What do you mean "drags"? It could have been that a brake was stuck. The squealing could also have just been the ice scrapers. 5514 is definitely not old; less than a year to be precise.

I think he means a creaking sound as far as some red line 5000's are concerned. And yeah they're still pretty new but some of the cars ranged 5170-5600 are getting noticeably louder When on the move compared to some of the higher numbered more recent deliveries which i think is from Red being busy and running around the clock. I think now that Howard's more in a position to switch cars between lines Easier that some Purple Line 5400's should probably swap in with some red line cars here and there to help slow down this wear and tear since majority of Purple Line cars are used in rush hour only. Those cars are still pretty quiet 

10 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

I think he means a creaking sound as far as some red line 5000's are concerned. And yeah they're still pretty new but some of the cars ranged 5170-5600 are getting noticeably louder When on the move compared to some of the higher numbered more recent deliveries which i think is from Red being busy and running around the clock. I think now that Howard's more in a position to switch cars between lines Easier that some Purple Line 5400's should probably swap in with some red line cars here and there to help slow down this wear and tear since majority of Purple Line cars are used in rush hour only. Those cars are still pretty quiet 

All the trains get louder in the winter because of the ice scrapers. I haven't really noticed any noise on any of the cars other than ice scraper noise and the 5200 car I was on last night that sounded like it had a loud gear or something. The 5500+ cars have all seemed fine to me.

21 minutes ago, briman94 said:

All the trains get louder in the winter because of the ice scrapers. I haven't really noticed any noise on any of the cars other than ice scraper noise and the 5200 car I was on last night that sounded like it had a loud gear or something. The 5500+ cars have all seemed fine to me.

Well yeah the 5500s are still pretty new but anything under that has gotten pretty loud and it was before winter hit. If you hop in a 5300 range car and hop in a 56-5700 ranged car you can definatly notice the noise difference between the 2. 

Just now, Sam92 said:

Well yeah the 5500s are still pretty new but anything under that has gotten pretty loud and it was before winter hit. If you hop in a 5300 range car and hop in a 56-5700 ranged car you can definatly notice the noise difference between the 2. 

That's because the seals on the doors move and loosen over time so there's less noise protection. They could fix the seals pretty easily if they cared to, but they don't. Honestly 5001-5099 are still quieter than even the rehabbed 3200s.

2 minutes ago, briman94 said:

That's because the seals on the doors move and loosen over time so there's less noise protection. They could fix the seals pretty easily if they cared to, but they don't. Honestly 5001-5099 are still quieter than even the rehabbed 3200s.

5001-5099 are used on lighter used lines as well (green and pink if im right) and yeah those are still quiet. But ride one on the red line you can hear what a car used on a 24/7 line with 3-7 minute headways sounds like.  Purple lines 5400s are still relatively quiet as far as noice concerns compared to some 5500s along with the lower cars  from red that are just starting to get louder. 

6 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

5001-5099 are used on lighter used lines as well (green and pink if im right) and yeah those are still quiet. But ride one on the red line you can hear what a car used on a 24/7 line with 3-7 minute headways sounds like.  Purple lines 5400s are still relatively quiet as far as noice concerns compared to some 5500s along with the lower cars  from red that are just starting to get louder. 

My point was that all the 5000s, even the oldest ones, are quieter than the older cars. They're just built better: lighter materials, more modern construction techniques.

4 minutes ago, briman94 said:

My point was that all the 5000s, even the oldest ones, are quieter than the older cars. They're just built better: lighter materials, more modern construction techniques.

Im not disagreeing with that :lol: i was pointing to the discussion of Red Line 5000s getting loud at the rate they have been while the 5000s used for the purple and yellow are waaaay quiter which led to me suggesting that maybe red and purple rotate cars to slow down wear and tear cause that looks to be a factor in increased noise as well. 

18 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

And then maybe all the 5000s could eventually get the treatment that the 5400s get on the Purple Line, because 5401-5500 look and smell brand new while the 5600+ cars smell like feces and look like they've been through a zombie apocalypse.

2 hours ago, Sam92 said:

...which led to me suggesting that maybe red and purple rotate cars to slow down wear and tear cause that looks to be a factor in increased noise as well. 

An interesting idea. They have the same route car cards anyways. I wonder how hard it would be, although from an outsider standpoint it doesn't sound like a difficult idea to execute.

2 hours ago, briman94 said:

...while the 5600+ cars smell like feces and look like they've been through a zombie apocalypse.

Eww. When I rode the Red Line in December the car I was in didn't seem too bad. At least the people onboard had trust in the seats they were sitting in, instead of standing due to gross stuff.