Pace New Flyer buses

Pace831

40 minutes ago, MetroShadow said:

Might be a fleet and scheduling item. This may be interlined with a early west run IIRC. 

I.e. A 379 depending on what time, might be done at UPS, and then could do a 757 or an early morning West Run. 

The morning run is a 2:40-something am run that starts at midway, layovers at FedEx during the shift change and then (presumably) returns to midway by 3:30ish, Tu-Sa. Knowing that, I guess it somewhat makes more sense for West to cover that, since it’s not the full route (and only 1 run, I’m not sure what other Pace routes are running that early outside of other shift routes)

8 hours ago, artthouwill said:

The 395 used to be a S and SW split.  Is the 395 still split, operated only by S, or unseemingly operated by W?

Still split. If I’m understanding the schedule correctly, my guess is that one-off trips are covered by SW and trips that return to 95th are covered by S. Not sure tho

2 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

The morning run is a 2:40-something am run that starts at midway, layovers at FedEx during the shift change and then (presumably) returns to midway by 3:30ish, Tu-Sa. Knowing that, I guess it somewhat makes more sense for West to cover that, since it’s not the full route (and only 1 run, I’m not sure what other Pace routes are running that early outside of other shift routes)

I could see the UPS trip ending at Midway interlining with the 330.  It's a short deadhead from Midway to Archer and Harlem.  It could Also interline with the 331, 316, 315, or 314 as Morton College isn't far from Midway.

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I could see the UPS trip ending at Midway interlining with the 330.  It's a short deadhead from Midway to Archer and Harlem.  It could Also interline with the 331, 316, 315, or 314 as Morton College isn't far from Midway.

There seems to be like an hour or hour and a half between when it ends at Midway and when a 331 or 330 trip would start early enough. I guess it would stay at Midway during this time?

55 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

There seems to be like an hour or hour and a half between when it ends at Midway and when a 331 or 330 trip would start early enough. I guess it would stay at Midway during this time?

Those early morning Fedex/UPS runs normally return to the garage for layover (this counts as the drivers lunch break, but more like breakfast). Those runs then go back out for the AM rush and could be interlined with anything. These runs are usually numbered in the low 100s (101, 102, 103), but some picks they were in the 300s.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, jesi2282 said:

Those early morning Fedex/UPS runs normally return to the garage for layover (this counts as the drivers lunch break, but more like breakfast). Those runs then go back out for the AM rush and could be interlined with anything. These runs are usually numbered in the low 100s (101, 102, 103), but some picks they were in the 300s.

That makes a lot of sense with the breakfast breaks. I also forgot how the driver run sheets played out. 

Looks like the new flyers are going to start operating on weekends now. First time seeing a new flyer operate the Saturday morning 390 run. *update* more new flyers have showed up on west routes. Looks like they are going to start running them on the weekends. 

Screenshot_2020-06-13-03-55-47.png

3 hours ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

20437 is on the 322

54 minutes ago, cta5658 said:

Also, 20410 is operating on the 307 today

So it looks like the weekend is finally seeing the New Flyers after not being used on weekends previously.   The next thing to look for is whether the NABIs are kept in the garage on Sundays.

• Like 2

I rode two of these for the first time today, 20433 and 20431. These buses do have a quiet engine and they do have turn signal clicks. These buses run smooth, and I noticed these buses didn't have those plastic barrier shields letting the operator have space, but they did use the rear door. I noticed the number inside the bus is hiding behind the next stop sign, and that was something that the Orions had too when they were still active. Both of the buses I rode entered service this month so that means they are brand new, they smelled good, and I also noticed that they have cameras showing the interior of these, similar to the ones they have on 6784 and 6785 right above the operator. I hope to get more of these real soon!

5 hours ago, artthouwill said:

So it looks like the weekend is finally seeing the New Flyers after not being used on weekends previously.   The next thing to look for is whether the NABIs are kept in the garage on Sundays.

Yes. As of right now, although there are still a few 2005 NABIs on the road today, only one of the 2003 buses is currently out.

21 minutes ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

So far there are only NABIs and Eldorados, I didn't see a New Flyer on the tracker yet.

It's still early. Some of the routes out of West do not start their Sunday schedule until well after 8 o'clock. And a couple of them do not start running until well after 10.

West is thought of as Eldorado heavy but soon it will be NF heavy, where the eldorados go is the question. You would think an Eldorado retrofit to Pulse service would be more difficult on the bus side than just buying buses for it. While they could retrofit the lights and wrap the bus would they go through changing the destination signs to display purple. I dont know if it could be done with a software upgrade,  plus Pulse was billed with phone chargers but I havent seen any on the Pulse service but I only rode it a few times. I dont think Pulse #250 would be negatively affected by having nf's. The buses are so new they wouldnt need much maintenance until the 1/4 life mark. By then Pace may be ordering more NFs and where else could they go besides nw or sw in real numbers. 

On 6/15/2020 at 4:17 PM, artthouwill said:

By the end of the week,  W should be halfway through their New Flyer deliveries.  At that point we should start to see some NABIs retire.

And if the routes that were temporarily cut due to the pandemic do not come back anytime soon, that retirement will likely be accelerated.