2022 Summer Pick

YoungBusLover

I know it seems like the spring just started not that long ago but here we are a month away from the Summer pick which has an intended start date of 6/13/22. I don't have the run guides as of yet for the entire system but with beach runs already in place I expect even more extra service on downtown routes to help out with return of nearly all summer events taking place. As I get more details i'll surely pass them along.

3 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

I know it seems like the spring just started not that long ago but here we are a month away from the Summer pick which has an intended start date of 6/13/22. I don't have the run guides as of yet for the entire system but with beach runs already in place I expect even more extra service on downtown routes to help out with return of nearly all summer events taking place. As I get more details i'll surely pass them along.

shouldn’t it start 6/12/22? since the 12th falls on sunday

• 3 weeks later...

The #10 won't run at all until tomorrow. CTA cut it down to run during the summer season only from Memorial Day through Labor Day. COVID had nothing to do with it. It was done years before the pandemic hit and shortly after the De-Crowd restructurings and policies, namely beefing service on busier corridors by repurposing equipment gained by decreasing or eliminating lower performing service elsewhere, went into effect because Museum of Science and Industry didn't want to fund the route beyond that timeframe under the increased subsidy rate CTA began asking for after De-Crowd went effect. 

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, jajuan said:

The #10 won't run at all until tomorrow. CTA cut it down to run during the summer season only from Memorial Day through Labor Day. COVID had nothing to do with it. It was done years before the pandemic hit and shortly after the De-Crowd restructurings and policies, namely beefing service on busier corridors by repurposing equipment gained by decreasing or eliminating lower performing service elsewhere, went into effect because Museum of Science and Industry didn't want to fund the route beyond that timeframe under the increased subsidy rate CTA began asking for after De-Crowd went effect. 

I saw 1621 signed up as the 10 but idk if it's actually gonna run or no

8 hours ago, jajuan said:

Uhhhhh....

The 10 was reduced to summer only from 9/5/2016 after the MSI withdrew its subsidy. The route was one planned to be withdrawn as part of the de-crowding plan, which took effect 12/15/2012, but MSI renegotiated to keep it running year round at weekends.

The other contracted routes which had their subsidy renegotiated or were eliminated were:

33 Mag Mile Express ended 3/13/2013 - Metra would not increase subsidy

X98 Avon Express - reduced to one SB service from 4/1/2013 - still running

132 Goose Island Express - renegotiated but withdrawn at end of subsidy 12/14/2018

169 69th-UPS Express - renegotiated - still running

170 U of C/Midway - renegotiated but withdrawn 5/31/2016
171 U of C/Hyde Park - renegotiated - still running
172 U of C/Kenwood - renegotiated - still running
192 U of C/Hospital Express - renegotiated - still running

53 minutes ago, busfan2847 said:

The 10 was reduced to summer only from 9/5/2016 after the MSI withdrew its subsidy. The route was one planned to be withdrawn as part of the de-crowding plan, which took effect 12/15/2012, but MSI renegotiated to keep it running year round at weekends.

The other contracted routes which had their subsidy renegotiated or were eliminated were:

132 Goose Island Express - renegotiated but withdrawn at end of subsidy 12/14/2018

It's interesting that UofC still pays for the 170s, while also having expanded their own shuttle program. I won't be surprised if the only thing left after a couple of years is the 192

2 hours ago, busfan2847 said:

To add to this, as of last autumn the 171 no longer runs on Sundays. A long time ago there was also the 173 and 174, and I believe they were withdrawn around 2010.

2 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

It's interesting that UofC still pays for the 170s, while also having expanded their own shuttle program. I won't be surprised if the only thing left after a couple of years is the 192

It has been a while since I last saw a 171 but I was surprised that the route was doing well ridership wise.  That might be a reason the route is still going    i don't know about the 172 though.

4 hours ago, Anthony Devera said:

A long time ago there was also the 173 and 174, and I believe they were withdrawn around 2010.

It was earlier noted that U of C wouldn't pay for them, and has some shuttles covering similar territory.

12 hours ago, Tcmetro said:

Which also reminds me, it’s been more than a year since they’ve updated the system map, although in fairness, I don’t think there’s been significant enough change outside of scheduling, but still

• 1 month later...
On 6/7/2022 at 8:26 AM, NewFlyerMCI said:

Which also reminds me, it’s been more than a year since they’ve updated the system map, although in fairness, I don’t think there’s been significant enough change outside of scheduling, but still

It hasn't been much need yet. The only major changes that occurred were the swapping of north end terminus points between the 52 and the 94 and the extension of the 157 to Pulaski Pink Line, with that extension restoring bus service to Ogden Ave in that area for the first time since the old 37 Sedgwick/Ogden was first split into two routes. Outside of tweaks to service hours on some routes and route segments, no big change has since except word that the above changes being made permanent. Now when the X4 returns in the fall, a new map came be made to reflect that and the route name change on the 146 and 147. On a side note, the name change of those routes weren't the main or only reason CTA updated bus stop signs downtown or in other areas. CTA actually was already in the midst of changing signs system wide to its new format for differentiating route types and service types. The name change just happened to coincide with CTA already updating signs, and they've since updated bus stop signs across more parts of downtown and other city neighborhoods along streets that neither of those routes operates.