More Bus Moves

sw4400

What this is (and I have seen it) is somebody who competed at the last Roadeo. Somehow the code got mistakenly associated with a destination on this bus, and nobody seems to have noticed. There have been other errors like this, like last pick all EB 77's were running with Nature Museum signs, and 6's deadheading from 79th to Wacker/Columbus were running with "North Park Garage" up. Programming errors.

Which raises the question why CTA doesn't clean up its programming codes like Pace did (i.e. 1511 to 1519 for 151), but CTA doesn't do anything not invented there.Maybe today's Dilbert applies.

I wonder if #6758 will be back. They wouldn't retire it because the sign don't work would they? That repair sounds simple, just take the parts off #6753, if that is gone.

They brought back #6758, but after a month out of action the signs still don't work. 9_9

Edited by BusHunter

A lot of busses are having problems with their destination signs. 

1511/1230/1124 out of 103rd say "Access Chicago" and 1623 has seasons greetings on the scroll from the holidays. 7992 had no scroll on the 4 when I saw it. 

A lot of busses are having problems with their destination signs. 

1511/1230/1124 out of 103rd say "Access Chicago" and 1623 has seasons greetings on the scroll from the holidays. 7992 had no scroll on the 4 when I saw it. 

They are displaying Public Relations signs, although apparently inappropriate ones. Someone said that the operator punches them into the Clever Device.

However, are they showing them without showing the destinations? In that case, the programming is messed up.

They are displaying Public Relations signs, although apparently inappropriate ones. Someone said that the operator punches them into the Clever Device.

However, are they showing them without showing the destinations? In that case, the programming is messed up.

I have seen more and more busses with the Public Relations signs. 1059 today had "Cleaner busses now arriving". And 1390 out of NP now says "New Fyler with GI seats" I think CTA is trying to say something. 

There were a few 8000's doing on the 29 today guys! 8038 was one of them but of of they were only extras from 74th to help with the downtown crowds. But it was still cool seeing them as a 29. I actually got a chance to sit in the drivers seat of a 8000 today which was frickin awesome lol.  Just a quick sneak peak of how they feel and etc when the next system pick starts again next year depending where the new novas will be, that's most likely where I'll be trying to go. So 77th, 74th and any other garage I'll be looking at those garages.

• Upvote 2

I think there might be a 6400-Series bus(perhaps two) at 74th still randomly there.... I was walking up Irving Park headed toward Ashland and saw a Nova turning from Ashland onto EB Irving Park. I thought it might've been a 7900-Series Nova, but what stuck out was the rear window was on the right side of the bus, not in the center. I checked the tracker and all I saw was New Flyers heading south to 95th and 104th/Vincennes, so this bus must've had a non-working GPS device or was running Not In Service.

May warrant a watching of 74th routes via visually and through Bustracker in the next few days.

This is why the south side hardly have anything because of s--t like this..... 

Garmon, it's not just the south side. The bus shelter for southbound #54 Cicero buses @ Belmont (one with a working BustRacker display) has had no front panel since before the municipal election. 

Edited by pudgym29
Trying to align text and not repeat the image. A 'Preview' button would help.

I have seen more and more busses with the Public Relations signs. 1059 today had "Cleaner busses now arriving". And 1390 out of NP now says "New Fyler with GI seats" I think CTA is trying to say something. 

Or just more bus operators playing around with the controls on the CDs. I've been seeing a number of 1000s on the 22 Clark with the "CLEANER/GREENER" readings flash as well as a number of FG buses on the east-west routes with the all routes 100% accessible signs or a Via Some Rail Line reading quite a bit lately.

This is why the south side hardly have anything because of s--t like this..... 

image.jpg

Not just the south side my friend. I spotted some shelters here and there on the north side with broken panels or missing benches, but they got repaired in each case fairly quickly. So the issue becomes how quickly are things getting repaired down there after getting trashed. BUT you are right that folks got to stop trashing their own freaking neighborhoods in those areas especially where the big complaint is the area gets few resources compared to others. Those who are tone deaf to such disparities like to use these instances as as reasons and excuses not to fix the disparity.

• Upvote 3

Or just more bus operators playing around with the controls on the CDs. I've been seeing a number of 1000s on the 22 Clark with the "CLEANER/GREENER" readings flash as well as a number of FG buses on the east-west routes with the all routes 100% accessible signs or a Via Some Rail Line reading quite a bit lately.

Not just the south side my friend. I spotted some shelters here and there on the north side with broken panels or missing benches, but they got repaired in each case fairly quickly. So the issue becomes how quickly are things getting repaired down there after getting trashed. BUT you are right that folks got to stop trashing their own freaking neighborhoods in those areas especially where the big complaint is the area gets few resources compared to others. Those who are tone deaf to such disparities like to use these instances as as reasons and excuses not to fix the disparity.

I know and you're right. It's so consistent out here though. From shattered glass to no benches inside the shelters. It's ridiculous. There are some out here yet to have new benches installed in which it makes me wonder, do the city really care about these discrepancies?

....BUT you are right that folks got to stop trashing their own freaking neighborhoods in those areas especially where the big complaint is the area gets few resources compared to others. Those who are tone deaf to such disparities like to use these instances as as reasons and excuses not to fix the disparity.

That goes back to the riots, in that technically the bus shelters are JCDecaux's responsibility, but apparently someone thinks destroying private property enhances one's neighborhood.

I know and you're right. It's so consistent out here though. From shattered glass to no benches inside the shelters. It's ridiculous. There are some out here yet to have new benches installed in which it makes me wonder, do the city really care about these discrepancies?

As I was typing when your message came up, it is JCDecaux's responsibility to fix them.

That goes back to the riots, in that technically the bus shelters are JCDecaux's responsibility, but apparently someone thinks destroying private property enhances one's neighborhood.

As I was typing when your message came up, it is JCDecaux's responsibility to fix them.

I was somewhere in the city, forgot where, and I noticed they had 4 shelters at a main intersection but all were missing the benches. I was like wth? Now i remember where, it was 55th/Western.

Edited by BusHunter

There is a new sign that CTA first time using it and first time I see on the bus because I was come back from North side to go home and I saw #4040 with this sign " CTA EMPLOYEES then next read FLU SHOTS " on the front and back of bus signs.

I saw that sign too about a week ago.   I was wondering was someone just trying to be funny when programming or did cta participate in a recent event that involved flu shots. 

There is a new sign that CTA first time using it and first time I see on the bus because I was come back from North side to go home and I saw #4040 with this sign " CTA EMPLOYEES then next read FLU SHOTS " on the front and back of bus signs.

I saw that sign too about a week ago.   I was wondering was someone just trying to be funny when programming or did cta participate in a recent event that involved flu shots. 

Or is it telling us to stay away from infected drivers on buses??? xD :P

The missing benches might be to stymie homeless folk sleeping on them. Philadelphia and Baltimore purged a lot of their benches a long time ago to deter them sleeping on them.

I know that there have been some complaints about the A/C on some 7900's, but riding 8034 during the heat wave on #9.... that bus was nice and cool. However, 113X on #9 heading back was very warm, like the A/C conked out. The driver didn't have any hopper windows open or roof hatches. It sounded like the air kicked in for a few seconds and blew but stopped, and continued to cycle like this.

On another note.... I've never mentioned this to CTA, mainly because to sit on hold to mention time of day, bus # and operator #, but a couple weeks back I was on a EB #80 bus and at Irving and Ashland, the driver sets the parking brake, puts the bus in "N"(bus goes to a fast idle mode) and leaves his seat out the front doors. I figured he was going to get a paper, but when he comes back in, I see him rustling something in his hands.... dollar bills!!! Now he didn't buy anything there, could he have possibly seen money left behind by a passenger and just took it as his own? I mean it's too late to mention it now, and too much of a hassle to do so because of how long you would have to sit on the phone just to report it. What do you think???

I know that there have been some complaints about the A/C on some 7900's, but riding 8034 during the heat wave on #9.... that bus was nice and cool. However, 113X on #9 heading back was very warm, like the A/C conked out. The driver didn't have any hopper windows open or roof hatches. It sounded like the air kicked in for a few seconds and blew but stopped, and continued to cycle like this.

On another note.... I've never mentioned this to CTA, mainly because to sit on hold to mention time of day, bus # and operator #, but a couple weeks back I was on a EB #80 bus and at Irving and Ashland, the driver sets the parking brake, puts the bus in "N"(bus goes to a fast idle mode) and leaves his seat out the front doors. I figured he was going to get a paper, but when he comes back in, I see him rustling something in his hands.... dollar bills!!! Now he didn't buy anything there, could he have possibly seen money left behind by a passenger and just took it as his own? I mean it's too late to mention it now, and too much of a hassle to do so because of how long you would have to sit on the phone just to report it. What do you think???

You said he got out the bus. You didn't say he followed a passenger outside the bus.

The only implication from what you said so far is that somehow he saw money on the street from the driver's seat. Other than that, you really didn't say what he did outside the bus.

I know someone who thinks she sees stuff on the pavement and always has some money crumpled in her first (usually 3 ones), but doesn't drive, so the driver wasn't her.

...For some odd reason, #1181 has made its way to 74th from Kedzie while on #55. 

The bus wanted to see the Coal Mine at the Museum of Science and Industry. The elevator down to the mine used the scare the &%*@ out of me.

• Upvote 4