More Bus Moves

sw4400

I came across a driver that was in such a hurry to do his relief, he jumped out of his seat got off the bus to discover he never put the bus in park. Thank god it was beeping or I might have took a ride on a ghost bus with ghost driver for real. Then his relief came and was yelling out the door at him, he left his paddles behind, but he was already a 1/4 block up the street crossing it. i guess he was in a real hurry. :P

I haven't went out there in God knows how long. Didn't know they had that exhibit.

I haven't either, but remember that the main reasons one goes there are the Coal Mine, the phone exhibit, the Zephyr, and the U Boat. The last time I was there, the phone exhibit didn't have the step by step central office switch (wonder what they are going to do when the phone system goes all VoIP) and supposedly the Zephyr and U Boat were moved to an inside exhibit in the parking garage. I forgot the hatching chicks.

I haven't either, but remember that the main reasons one goes there are the Coal Mine, the phone exhibit, the Zephyr, and the U Boat. The last time I was there, the phone exhibit didn't have the step by step central office switch (wonder what they are going to do when the phone system goes all VoIP) and supposedly the Zephyr and U Boat were moved to an inside exhibit in the parking garage. I forgot the hatching chicks.

And the massive model train exhibit!

You said he got out the bus. You didn't say he followed a passenger outside the bus.

The only implication from what you said so far is that somehow he saw money on the street from the driver's seat. Other than that, you really didn't say what he did outside the bus.

I know someone who thinks she sees stuff on the pavement and always has some money crumpled in her first (usually 3 ones), but doesn't drive, so the driver wasn't her.

True, he didn't follow a passenger off, but I'm sure that he can't just take money lost on CTA property. I'm sure CTA has a policy about lost property(especially money).... sometimes customers drop money in the store, and our policy is it must be turned in and if not claimed within a certain period of time, it becomes property of the finder, with the exception of the register area. Money found there, regardless of who found it does not go to the finder, instead it goes to the store after 30 days. Figure that one out.....

Ultimately it was just a couple of dollars the driver appeared to have, not nothing to make a federal case out of.... but what if it was a bankroll of $250 or more that somehow fell out there. Wouldn't you rather the driver be honest and take it to Forest Glen to turn in to Lost & Found rather than pocket it for himself? I know what this is like, accidently leaving about $400 in Money Orders at a Currency Exchange once and finding out they were gone when I returned after realizing that I left them.

True, he didn't follow a passenger off, but I'm sure that he can't just take money lost on CTA property. I'm sure CTA has a policy about lost property(especially money)....

You said he went out the door at Ashland and Irving Park. That wasn't CTA property. Undoubtedly different if the money were on the bus, but you said it was outside.

Wouldn't the shelter(where he went) count as CTA property? That's where he went and got the money from.

No, it is either city property or JC Decaux property. And, of course, you had left out that detail before.

I've seen one other bus with the Yellow Line sign on them, I think it was a 151 heading to Clark/Arthur. Only saw it for a second. Sounds like a mistake in programming.

No, just some driver goofing off, since most of the via --- Line signs are public service ones. Can't tell just from the LINE picture what the flip was, with regard to confirming that. Also, if it were a 152,  via BLUE LINE would be accurate.

• Upvote 1

No, just some driver goofing off, since most of the via --- Line signs are public service ones. Can't tell just from the LINE picture what the flip was, with regard to confirming that. Also, if it were a 152,  via BLUE LINE would be accurate.

So those types of signs aren't in the route programming and are only there if the driver wishes them to be? I'm asking because half the time when I see a Wentworth trip on the 79, they will sometimes say " via RED LINE" and I thought this was because it ends only a few blocks after the red line stop.

So those types of signs aren't in the route programming and are only there if the driver wishes them to be? I'm asking because half the time when I see a Wentworth trip on the 79, they will sometimes say " via RED LINE" and I thought this was because it ends only a few blocks after the red line stop.

Same as GO SOX!!!, HAPPY HOLIDAYS, and the infamous 61 SEATS.

Man, I've heard you guys talk about how bad the northwest buses are but I never quite understood the extent of that until I started riding the 81 yesterday...these novas stink! Literally! 

I rode 6713 [I think] on #92 Foster westbound from the Berwyn Red Line station to California Tuesday 7/21/15.

The bus didn't stink but when the driver braked the bus vibrated and shook loudly. o.O

Edited by geneking7320
check spelling

When they got the Chicago #6400's, they never replaced the seats and those old seats have alot of sweat and germs on them from lots of riding. Plus they can't have scotchgard protection if the seat insert is worn down to the rubber backing. Probably the #6400's will be gone in a few months anyway. If they plan to can the buses in numerical order with the big retirements like the summer pick, they can probably retire up to the mid to upper #6600's by the fall, counting that the #8100's do all show up at Chicago by then but they should be there no problem. Maybe in as soon as 6 weeks.

The rest is uncertain, I was reading in the news that CTA state funding could be cut by 1/3, there going to have to come up with some fancy tricks to save the service from major cutting if that happens. We should know most of what's going to happen by CTA budget time, whether an option is going to be purchased or cuts are inevitably going to happen.

I rode 6713 [I think] on #92 Foster westbound from the Berwyn Red Line station to California Tuesday 7/21/15.

The bus didn't stink but when the driver braked the bus vibrated and shook loudly. o.O

Yeah, they seem very rough compared to others. Until now I've really only ridden the hybrid articulated ones on the Brown Line shuttle, which are even smoother than the 5000-series. I'm glad to hear they will be canned in coming months!

Edited by briman94

1181 on the #9 as leader to the bus I'm currently riding. So 74th appears to possibly have picked up more than thought. Wonder what they gave up if anything since 1000s had to go there to replace what 6400s that 8000-8099 didn't to accomplish 6400s being purged from there.

Well 4388 went even further with the clean air signs that NP buses have been displaying so much lately. It's on the 135 right now, and after showing route and destination it shows "WELCOME" flip "CTA NEW FLYER" flip "NEXT STOP" flip "CLEAN AIR". Maybe CTA is  indeed trying to tell us something with the clean air sign displays.

Well 4388 went even further with the clean air signs that NP buses have been displaying so much lately. It's on the 135 right now, and after showing route and destination it shows "WELCOME" flip "CTA NEW FLYER" flip "NEXT STOP" flip "CLEAN AIR". Maybe CTA is  indeed trying to tell us something with the clean air sign displays.

I bet especially when a diesel bus emits a black plume.