More Bus Moves

sw4400

There were no stragglers.    The entire block traveled to 74th in sync with the spring pick.

Meanwhile,  6449 has recently migrated from C to FG,  since the arrival of the first 8100s.    It was operating on Belmont earlier today.  Assuming that the exodus of Chicago Avenue's 6400s continues,   it'll be interesting to see what happens once all 45 are gone.   

Will Forest Glen actually start receiving NewFlyers?    That might be the logical assumption,   but past patterns have been known to defy logic.  Maybe there's a second-hand-Novas-from-Montreal option that none of us knows about.  <smirk>

That's what I thought so 1301 and 1307 weren't odd sightings since 9 is exclusively out of 74th and 49 is shared by it with NP. As for Chicago's turn at getting 7900s and the resulting exodus of 6400s, after the 45 6400s are moved, there will be no other choice for FG to start getting anything other than 6400s at that point because the remaining 55 8100s beyond 8144 will have no other 40 foot buses beyond those 45 6400s to displace regardless of whether or not 8145-8199 also go to Chicago.

That's what I thought so 1301 and 1307 weren't odd sightings since 9 is exclusively out of 74th and 49 is shared by it with NP. As for Chicago's turn at getting 7900s and the resulting exodus of 6400s, after the 45 6400s are moved, there will be no other choice for FG to start getting anything other than 6400s at that point because the remaining 55 8100s beyond 8144 will have no other 40 foot buses beyond those 45 6400s to displace regardless of whether or not 8145-8199 also go to Chicago.

I think you're right,  Jajuan.  (I assume that you meant to state that FG will start receiving 1000s rather than 6400s).   

My question about FG getting NFs was rhetorical,   but I was also being a little bit of a wiseguy.   Got a big laugh from SW4400's 9000-series school bus icon in the message above.:D

• Upvote 1

I think you're right,  Jajuan.  (I assume that you meant to state that FG will start receiving 1000s rather than 6400s).   

My question about FG getting NFs was rhetorical,   but I was also being a little bit of a wiseguy.   Got a big laugh from SW4400's 9000-series school bus icon in the message above.:D

At this point yes with them having avoided putting anything but older buses at FG for the past year and a half. I know some may not like that fact, but heck it'll be a major improvement over having nothing but 6400s especially when the 1000s have been going through rehab and otherwise held together pretty well. And any bus operator who in the future wants to bellyache that their garage got new buses, I'd seriously advise them to examine what FG operators have had to put up with since February 2014 and then reevaluate whether they really want to make that complaint which FG operators especially would find asinine by now. This situation underscores why I thought similar complaints made by past Chicago garage operators about Chicago getting 1000s and pushing out 5300s and 6000s were head scratchers at best.

Fg's got some new buses this morning, (with the green destination of course) xD but it's really sporadic. It's like they went through Chicago found a group of buses and said ok these go to Fg. This is what's out there now...

#6438 on the #92

#6448 on the #77

#6524 on the #85A

#6548 on the #80

#6549 on the #76 

#6661 on the #76 

#6663 on the #77

And then watch in 2016 CTA promoting an overhaul to the Northwest side of Chicago saying that they will modernize everything in the Northwest side including CTA stations, buses and trains (assuming that the 7000 series will be coming to the Blue Line). That would be a dirty way to sugercoat that the Northwest side was working with the oldest equipment in the CTA's fleet and to dismiss the fact that other garages got all the newest equipment and they didn't.

And then watch in 2016 CTA promoting an overhaul to the Northwest side of Chicago saying that they will modernize everything in the Northwest side including CTA stations, buses and trains (assuming that the 7000 series will be coming to the Blue Line). That would be a dirty way to sugercoat that the Northwest side was working with the oldest equipment in the CTA's fleet and to dismiss the fact that other garages got all the newest equipment and they didn't.

While they could pull some b.s. on buses, even then, if it exercises the option, probably won't be until 2017. No way on the L cars to at least 2019.

The 7000-Series will be definitely going to the Brown and Orange as the series is earmarked to retire the 3200-Series cars. Whether the 7000's also go to the Blue Line or some 5000's get displaced from the Red, Green or Pink lines to retire the 2600's remains to be seen. I would look for the 5000's to be displaced to the Blue Line then, especially with their aisle-seat layout being good for the O-Hare bound people.

The 7000-Series will be definitely going to the Brown and Orange as the series is earmarked to retire the 3200-Series cars. Whether the 7000's also go to the Blue Line or some 5000's get displaced from the Red, Green or Pink lines to retire the 2600's remains to be seen. I would look for the 5000's to be displaced to the Blue Line then, especially with their aisle-seat layout being good for the O-Hare bound people.

But the question here is how much CTA wants to run a mixed fleet on any line and have shops with mixed inventory, since the 7000s do not have to be compatible with the 5000s. If you are saying that all Red Line cars go to the Blue Line, they could have started there in 2012.

Fg's got some new buses this morning, (with the green destination of course) xD but it's really sporadic. It's like they went through Chicago found a group of buses and said ok these go to Fg. This is what's out there now...

#6438 on the #92

#6448 on the #77

#6524 on the #85A

#6548 on the #80

#6549 on the #76 

#6661 on the #76 

#6663 on the #77

#6664 is out on the #77 and #6445 was out on the #56. #6447 is at fg too.

Man, I've heard you guys talk about how bad the northwest buses are but I never quite understood the extent of that until I started riding the 81 yesterday...these novas stink! Literally! 

Yeah I dont think CTA management understands it either!!!  

That isn't news to us following other CTA sources, but what is news is that DC, if it uses anything, uses a text voice synthesizer instead of recordings of a human.

#1360 is on #66 and I don't know why in the world #4204 is also on #66 if there's no school.

If those buses were on eastbound #66 in the morning, those are supplemental runs from Kedzie and that's been happening for the last couple of years at least.

Just saw something funny that spooked me for a sec! There was a southbound brown line approaching Fullerton, but I saw it through a reflection in the window of my train so I couldn't tell if it was red or brown. All I saw were LED signs changing between destinations like crazy! I guess the driver was just adjusting the switches up front to say "Roosevelt" instead of "Loop" but the LED signs instantly went through every combination...I saw purple, yellow to skokie, express, not in service, and finally it settled at Roosevelt as the roller curtains were still making their way to the correct sign.

Edited by briman94

The photos of the Green Line derailment and posts associated with it have been removed due to copyright violation. Just a friendly reminder that members should always cite any photos associated with any kind of article, news, etc if it isn't theirs. If it's via Facebook or Twitter then please have them embedded. Thanks.

• Upvote 1

Just saw something funny that spooked me for a sec! There was a southbound brown line approaching Fullerton, but I saw it through a reflection in the window of my train so I couldn't tell if it was red or brown. All I saw were LED signs changing between destinations like crazy! I guess the driver was just adjusting the switches up front to say "Roosevelt" instead of "Loop" but the LED signs instantly went through every combination...I saw purple, yellow to skokie, express, not in service, and finally it settled at Roosevelt as the roller curtains were still making their way to the correct sign.

The roll signs used to do that for obvious reasons, but the only way this could make any sense is if it were a retrofitted 3200 and the driver was cycling through the knobs. Otherwise (in a 5000), it is under the control of the gps or operator data terminal.

The roll signs used to do that for obvious reasons, but the only way this could make any sense is if it were a retrofitted 3200 and the driver was cycling through the knobs. Otherwise (in a 5000), it is under the control of the gps or operator data terminal.

Sounded like it was in fact a consist that included a couple of those retrofitted 3200s from the mention of roller curtains of other cars in the train cycling through from "Loop" to "Roosevelt". 

While they could pull some b.s. on buses, even then, if it exercises the option, probably won't be until 2017. No way on the L cars to at least 2019.

But of course on the bus side, despite whatever b.s. may be attempted beyond FG having only the oldest series to work with for the last year and a half, it's fairly safe to say that 103rd, Kedzie and NP won't get new 40 foot buses this time around. And notice I stressed 40 foot buses because NP has shown itself to be the artic darling yet again in ending up with the majority of the 4300s shortly after their main use for the R routes ended.

Sounded like it was in fact a consist that included a couple of those retrofitted 3200s from the mention of roller curtains of other cars in the train cycling through from "Loop" to "Roosevelt". 

That is what it was...there were LEDs and rollsigns, which is how I determined it was a brown line in the end.