More Bus Moves

sw4400

5 hours ago, Pace831 said:

That's a really strange thing for the operator to say. Being misinformed about the pet policy is at least understandable, but that would typically mean telling someone their animal isn't allowed at all. Saying that cats have to ride in the back doesn't make any sense, unless the bus operator was trying to say that the carrier shouldn't occupy the priority seating area. It could have just been a poor choice of words on the operator's part, since he/she didn't say you couldn't ride the bus. Still, it was justified to call the garage supervisor about it. The supervisor's response, though, was obviously incorrect.

Did you wait for the next bus, and board that one without incident?

Perhaps that particular driver is allergic to cats, so he had him to go to the back of the bus to protect himself as well as the other passengers.  

1 minute ago, artthouwill said:

Perhaps that particular driver is allergic to cats, so he had him to go to the back of the bus to protect himself as well as the other passengers.  

That makes sense. But that could have been easily communicated to SW4400 to minimize confusion. So it still would have been a case of an operator lacking in clear communication skills. And I think you already quoted me on the Jefferson Park discussion a week and a half ago and just quoted me again on the same thing just a few minutes ago. :P

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jajuan said:

That makes sense. But that could have been easily communicated to SW4400 to minimize confusion. So it still would have been a case of an operator lacking in clear communication skills. And I think you already quoted me on the Jefferson Park discussion a week and a half ago and just quoted me again on the same thing just a few minutes ago. :P

I posted and deleted it.   That's the only way my smartarse phone will let me quote posts. 

4 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I posted and deleted it.   That's the only way my smartarse phone will let me quote posts. 

Oh you're still running into that? I still run into sometimes but not as often as when the forum made the big switch over from chicagobus.org. 

12 hours ago, Pace831 said:

That's a really strange thing for the operator to say. Being misinformed about the pet policy is at least understandable, but that would typically mean telling someone their animal isn't allowed at all. Saying that cats have to ride in the back doesn't make any sense, unless the bus operator was trying to say that the carrier shouldn't occupy the priority seating area. It could have just been a poor choice of words on the operator's part, since he/she didn't say you couldn't ride the bus. Still, it was justified to call the garage supervisor about it. The supervisor's response, though, was obviously incorrect.

Did you wait for the next bus, and board that one without incident?

I waited for the next bus, and thought it was going to be a long wait(next bus showed 29 minutes out), but a ghost bus artic showed up. I spoke with that Operator about it, he said he shouldn't have done that, though technically only Service Animals are allowed on the CTA...... so I guess nobody knows policy.

The Supervisor also said I should've just had a seat on the bus earlier..... I could just see that.... the Operator parking the bus and calling Control for CPD to come out and remove me.... that would've been nice. I would've been the focal point of aggravation of all those passengers on board because I held the bus out of service since I thought taking a seat would've been better than standing and having the carrier hit another standee or someone sitting if the bus accelerates with a jerky motion or the brakes are applied hard. Not to mention my cat would've been thrashed around the carrier and if it broke open being made of plastic, imagine that scene on a CTA Bus.....

6 hours ago, artthouwill said:

6 hours ago, jajuan said:

That makes sense. But that could have been easily communicated to SW4400 to minimize confusion....

If that had been the case, all he would've had to say was "You need to go in the back with the cat. I have allergies to cats." No problem there, I would've complied, or got on the next bus with no issue. But to say "If that's a cat, you have to take it to the back." That's terrible handling of the situation, almost Felinist(if such a term did exist along with Racist, Sexist, etc....). But I doubt the Supervisor will do anything.... probably just sweep it under the rug, as he really didn't say he'd look into it, just told me to take a seat on the bus, even though the Operator said move to the back(which would've incited a bigger issue possibly involving a delayed bus and CPD called by the Operator). If there was an issue with passengers and allergies, same thing..... I would've moved to the back or waited. But the wording is what was wrong here. He needed to be more descriptive as to why, not just make me feel burdensome on his bus.

5 hours ago, sw4400 said:

If that had been the case, all he would've had to say was "You need to go in the back with the cat. I have allergies to cats." No problem there, I would've complied, or got on the next bus with no issue. But to say "If that's a cat, you have to take it to the back." That's terrible handling of the situation, almost Felinist(if such a term did exist along with Racist, Sexist, etc....). But I doubt the Supervisor will do anything.... probably just sweep it under the rug, as he really didn't say he'd look into it, just told me to take a seat on the bus, even though the Operator said move to the back(which would've incited a bigger issue possibly involving a delayed bus and CPD called by the Operator). If there was an issue with passengers and allergies, same thing..... I would've moved to the back or waited. But the wording is what was wrong here. He needed to be more descriptive as to why, not just make me feel burdensome on his bus.

Agreed.  However,  communication is a skill that not everyone has.   There are many reasons for that.  Effective communication has to be taught.   CTA operators are not taught to communicate.   They are taught to operate a vehicle.   They may get some ADA classroom training upon hiring,  but no refreshing unless there's a blatant violation.   Customer service is to not get into confrontations.   

Our forum members know more about CTA routes than a lot of CTA drivers and rail operators.   

22 minutes ago, Busjack said:

And certainly the RTA Travel Center.

The RTA Travel Center is actually ran by a telemarketing company.   I suppose every few years a telemarketing company can bid for the contract.   So all of the reps at the RTA are telemarketers and they just use gooroo or whatever they use,  type in your request aND the computer spits the information out.

18 hours ago, sw4400 said:

...The Supervisor also said I should've just had a seat on the bus earlier..... I could just see that.... the Operator parking the bus and calling Control for CPD to come out and remove me.... that would've been nice. ...

I'm visualizing the scene right now:

Supervisor: "You want to take the bus out of service and us to call CPD why?" 

Operator:"To remove a cat."

Supervisor: "How did the cat get on the bus?"

Operator: "A customer carried it on."

Supervisor: "Is it in a carrier?"

Operator: "Yes."

Supervisor: "Where is the carrier?"

Operator: "It is on the customer's lap."

Supervisor: "uh-huh. Keep driving. We will meet you at the end of the line."

But seriously...that is absolutely ridiculous. I have friends who take their cats to the vet via CTA all the time. I've also seen newly-adopted cats riding with their new cat parents on the 156, 65, and Red Line. What an a-hoe.

On 9/25/2016 at 3:30 AM, sw4400 said:

And the crazy part is that you at least had your cat properly secure in a pet carrier. Heck, I've seen folks hoop on the bus with their cat or small dog inside purses or in the case of men in a duffel bag. In each case, the person left the opening for the animal to breath through wide enough for the animal to hop right out if if it got agitated or spooked in any way. 

9 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

Just when you thought rush hour on the Red line couldn't get less comfortable....

It could always have been on the Blue Line and the train could have been further stopped for mechanical failure while fleas were infesting it.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Master58 said:

North Parks Buses #4054 and #4064 are at 103rd. 

1 hour ago, Sam92 said:

Why do I feel like this is a start to move the rest of the 4300's to NP? 

I wouldn't sound the alarms yet for two buses at 103rd unless we actually see some of the 4300's from 103rd up at NP. It could be just a loan..... NP has used loaned Novas recently(6400's) on some routes, and they're holding on for dear life, some of them. But FG didn't get any NF's from them in return for those loan outs.

2 hours ago, ChiTown said:

Will 1000 series New Flyer buses between #1000-1429 would back at garages such as Chicago Ave, Kedzie, and North Park? I happy for Forest Glen, 103rd, 74th, and 77th but I would to see some buses between #1000-#1429 come back to C,K,& NP again.

For the foreseeable future, I would say no. Buses 1000-1429 won't be going back to C,K or NP any time soon. Though NP does still have 1392-1404 for now. As for 4054 and 4064, I'll agree with SW on this one. Don't sound the alarm bells yet about NP getting the rest of the 4300s because not only was it just two buses seen out of place, NP is artic heavy to begin with at just under 130 of them assigned there and can afford to spare a few especially given the roughly year and a half practice of NP running PM 135 and 136 with 40 foot NFs and not as many artics. And I know it's going to be pointed out that that's because those artics were shifted to the 22 in the PM rush, but if we look at the shorter intervals between buses on the 135 and 136 than seen at times on the 22, we're probably not seeing as many artics on the 22 as were on both the 135 and 136 in the PM rush period. Plus PM rush and evening use of artics has been decreasing a bit lately. So NP could spare the two artics seen down at 103rd.

On July 1, 2016 at 10:15 AM, Chicagos_D said:

From the most recent press release about the recent ground breaking that's visible from Cicero Ave. In this press release, they didn't give any update about the transit center but indirectly explains why they are deciding to build a transit center and why it will be farther away from Cicero and Wendy's. If they still plan on building it. 

Pace passenger notice gives an update on the status of the Ford City Transit Center.

1 minute ago, Pace831 said:

Pace passenger notice gives an update on the status of the Ford City Transit Center.

Ah! I wasn't sure so I didn't want to post anything about this. Ground breaking started on Monday. I will take some pics either tonight depending on the sunlight or early tomorrow morning which would most likely be a better option. Personally, this is about to make the community's commute so much easier. 

40 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

36 minutes ago, Chicagos_D said:

Ah! I wasn't sure so I didn't want to post anything about this. Ground breaking started on Monday. I will take some pics either tonight depending on the sunlight or early tomorrow morning which would most likely be a better option. Personally, this is about to make the community's commute so much easier. 

Any reason this isn't under Pace?