More Bus Moves

sw4400

5 hours ago, Busjack said:

That was the one involved in the crash into the 205 N. Michigan Plaza.But Andre should still say what the term means.

Obviously something was wrong with the bus. You never know, maybe in the lawsuit CTA defended itself by saying something was wrong with the bus and they might have had to defect that bus because something was removed from it either at the accident or in the trial through cutting by CFD or by the attorneys. Once they cut the structure of the bus it's defective. Another thing to look at was whether when it hit the wall on the north side of the street did it get frame damage but it wasn't head on just a glancing blow so I would say it's more the first theory than the second.

Once a bus goes into Long Term Hold status. especially so long after an incident, it usually means there is something very seriously wrong with it. Not yet AFR'd, but one step away. LTH vehicles very rarely return. The couple of NFIL's that did basically did so because they were part of a general overhaul program. Others in LTH like 4323, 4333 have almost no chance. Pretty much once it is listed as LTH, you can count it as dead.

9 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

LTH vehicles very rarely return. The couple of NFIL's that did basically did so because they were part of a general overhaul program.

Since the requisition is still out there to rehab 208 4000 series buses, this one isn't dead yet.

Rode #6470 a few days ago..... boy is CTA just placing wrong placards on buses or what??? This bus is probably months or less from retirement, with same style seating it's always had since arrival back in 2000. Yet, the garage personnel at FG place this inside the bus behind the driver(note: this pic was from #8236, but the same placard was in #6470)

20161001_152127_thumb_jpg_3ee5d0b246090c3d0e692a2afc37fdac.jpg

11 hours ago, sw4400 said:

Rode #6470 a few days ago..... boy is CTA just placing wrong placards on buses or what??? This bus is probably months or less from retirement, with same style seating it's always had since arrival back in 2000. Yet, the garage personnel at FG place this inside the bus behind the driver(note: this pic was from #8236, but the same placard was in #6470)

20161001_152127_thumb_jpg_3ee5d0b246090c3d0e692a2afc37fdac.jpg

Anything's better probably than what seats are in #6470. I'm just shocked we are still talking about that bus, it's one of the first to arrive in December 2000, I believe. Almost time for that sweet 16 birthday!! xD

Tribune article about that a jury verdict was rendered against the city for $2.5 million in favor of the train operator in the 2012 collision where a police officer drove around the gates and collided with a Brown Line train at Kedzie. Observations:

• It looked like the police car took the worst of the impact, so I'm not sure how the operator was injured that badly.
  • This seems the first time it was said that the police officer went around the gates because she was chasing a bicyclist. Hard to conceive how a bicycle can outrun a cop car.

4 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Plus the cop going around downed crossing gates shows negligence.

Which is why I couldn't figure out the city's argument that they have to call off a police chase of a car, but not of a bike. Going around the gates should have been enough.

On your sensationalized point, if you are referring to the operator's injuries, apparently he had the medical evidence to back it up.

A good attorney can stress the finer points of his injuries and the impact on his her future life. So when you do something every day you get good at it.

As far as your first point I dont get why the chase law says they can cross gates at any time. This is where the judge drew the line most likely. That rule needs changing because it is negligible. The high verdict sends a message that they thought that rule was idiotic and it needs changing. I mean imagine a police car runs a Metra gets slammed at 70 mph right at a station like river grove in rush hour. He is going to slam into commuters cause his car will become a missile from the impact. Then we could be talking 10s of millions of dollars in litigation.

41 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

A good attorney can stress the finer points of his injuries and the impact on his her future life. So when you do something every day you get good at it.

The other thing to consider is I presume the operator was covered by workers' compensation, so under section 5(b) of the Workers' Compensation Act, he has to reimburse the CTA's compensation carrier out of the judgment, so he may not be netting as much as thought.

41 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

As far as your first point I dont get why the chase law says they can cross gates at any time.

Although the city's point doesn't make sense, I don't think that's what the city was arguing.

As I understand the chase policy, the police are supposed to cut off a chase if it endangers the public (such as some of the police chases on the south side, where the suspect's car or a police car ran into some third party's car, causing the third party's death).

This being a negligence or recklessness case, it is necessary to plead how the defendant was negligent or reckless, and usually about 20 possibilities are listed. I'm sure one of the 20 was "Violated Police Rule No. --- on vehicular chases," but, as you pointed out, several others undoubtedly included "went around railroad crossing gates," "failed to heed flashing red lights," "failed to keep a lookout for a train," "failed to stop 15 feet from a railroad crossing," etc. If, in fact, the police officer was guilty of any act of negligence, that would be sufficient, but the newspaper picked up on the one argued most vociferously by the city attorney.

But, as you point out, the only real question is whether there was any justification for a police car ignoring the warnings at a railroad crossing, equivalent to, say, a police car with a siren and flashing lights going through a red light, even though in that situation, the police officer would have to use care in doing so.

1 hour ago, jajuan said:

Well it seems the Ford City Transit Center may be complete. CTA has a service change update under the weekday service change page indicating that 54B, 67, and 79 are being moved to the bus terminal on the east side of the mall starting next Wednesday. 

The alert points out an issue that there is now a relatively long walk to transfer between 67 and Pace, but I doubt many people make that connection.

36 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

The alert points out an issue that there is now a relatively long walk to transfer between 67 and Pace, but I doubt many people make that connection.

The other question is whether there will be a Pace reaction, or if the reroute on Cicero is permanent.

On 11/11/2016 at 9:41 PM, jajuan said:

Well it seems the Ford City Transit Center may be complete. CTA has a service change update under the weekday service change page indicating that 54B, 67, and 79 are being moved to the bus terminal on the east side of the mall starting next Wednesday. 

On 11/11/2016 at 11:24 PM, Busjack said:

The other question is whether there will be a Pace reaction, or if the reroute on Cicero is permanent.

Passenger notices state that 382 will pull into the CTA terminal, but it appears that the notice that other routes will stay on Cicero Ave. is still in effect

On 11/11/2016 at 10:47 PM, Pace831 said:

As somebody who has made a transfer from Pace SW to CTA [390 to 54B], I think it is more probable that a transfer will occur @ Midway Orange Line.

47 minutes ago, pudgym29 said:

As somebody who has made a transfer from Pace SW to CTA [390 to 54B], I think it is more probable that a transfer will occur @ Midway Orange Line.

Yeah but you made that connection to the 54B from a route that never served Ford City Mall directly. That therefore doesn't address the point that Pace831 made about it being much harder to make a connection between Pace and the 67 unless it's to the 382 during it's rush direction service to the mall (SB AM rush and NB PM rush). Unlike 54B, 67 and 79 don't go to Midway. So the connection from those routes was at the mall. At least the 79 though does operate on Cicero between the mall lot entrance and 79th Street and can facilitate a transfer still at the lot entrance bus stops. If you're a rider on the 67 though, no dice unless you want to do that 5 block walk per the CTA service notice. 

7 hours ago, jajuan said:

If you're a rider on the 67 though, no dice unless you want to do that 5 block walk per the CTA service notice. 

But that gets down to until a couple of years ago, 67 ended in Marquette Park. I doubt that the reason it was extended to Ford City was that people wanted to get to the Palos area, as opposed to Ford City itself.

27 minutes ago, Busjack said:

But that gets down to until a couple of years ago, 67 ended in Marquette Park. I doubt that the reason it was extended to Ford City was that people wanted to get to the Palos area, as opposed to Ford City itself.

True the motivation was getting to Ford City primarily, but the Pace connection was still there and opened up opportunities for those who may have lived along the route and worked in the SW suburbs. Those riders do exist, just as those who live south yet work on the north side of the city and northern and northwest suburbs since folks are finding that job opportunities are increasingly in the suburbs more than say a decade or two ago.

7 minutes ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

Not me, the website isn't loading. :( I wonder what's going on...

Yeah. I think their servers crashed shortly after making that post. The main site and the Bus and Train tracking sites won't load at present because of some connection reset error. And they may correct the error I caught on the weekday service change page so I'll say what it was. They put up a bullet stating to the effect of "Note: All CTA bus routes will operate on a Sunday/Holiday schedule on Thursday November 26, 2015." Only problem is this is 2016 obviously. So they copied and pasted it from last year without correcting for Thanksgiving's date will be this year.xD

I'm starting to get a feeling cta might end up going back on the Dan Ryan to fix the switches.  Even though they were rebuilt 10 years ago in the power and signal project I don't think they dug deep enough to tackle the drainage problems that the 2013 rebuild addressed,  and they didn't even touch the switches when they shut down the line. Now there's a slow zone at 33rd interlocking