More Bus Moves

sw4400

5 hours ago, busfan2847 said:

Looking at Maths 22 archive for 8am this morning

8200-11 77th, 8212-8223 74th, 8224-8235 Chicago, 8236 on Forest Glen

in return 1386-91, 1553-63, 1590-6, 1601, 1746, 1753-61 & 1799, 1800 are at Forest Glen

That would appear to put FG up to approximately 60 NFs at this point for however long this stands. 

5 hours ago, busfan2847 said:

Looking at Maths 22 archive for 8am this morning

8200-11 77th, 8212-8223 74th, 8224-8235 Chicago, 8236 on Forest Glen

in return 1386-91, 1553-63, 1590-6, 1601, 1746, 1753-61 & 1799, 1800 are at Forest Glen

1594 is still at K (moved from 74th in June this year) and has not moved to F (1590-3/5/6 moved from 77th to  F)

1 hour ago, Dawnlight said:

It's like CTA is saying that FG shouldn't be the only garage for their Novas to suffer from having toy seats.

No, as I indicated, if they wanted customer feedback, there are much nastier customers in other parts of town.

6 hours ago, Busjack said:

No, as I indicated, if they wanted customer feedback, there are much nastier customers in other parts of town.

And what better way to get that feedback than to run them on routes such as 8, 9 and 49 that run through the north and south sides.

5 minutes ago, sw4400 said:

For a little light-hearted CTA news today..... how about saying "I do." while Mr. CTA says "This is a Orange Line Train with Wedded Bliss".....

http://abc7chicago.com/news/photos-chicago-couple-weds-on-cta-train/1548656/

Except it was on 5000s, and one ABC7 shot was at California, Green Line.

I hope my pictures uploaded successfully. If they did, all of the pictures captured so far are from the south end of the transit center. It's located on the east end of the J.C. Penney. It's adjacent to Kostner Ave. I wonder if this will actually eliminate stops at 76th & Kostner (67 bus), Solo Cup (Dart), the movie theatre, and IHOP/Carson's stop; also will this change the direction the buses enter and exit the mall? I'll try and get some pictures from the west end of the Transit Center. The deserted building located next to it, I assume will be the facility where CTA employees will be able to use as a rest area. 

IMG_4567.jpeg

IMG_4568.jpeg

IMG_4569.jpeg

IMG_4570.jpeg

IMG_4577.jpeg

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Master58 said:

This is why 103rd shouldn't of given away the artics they lost to Chicago earlier this year 

Yeah you can maybe make that argument.  However, looking at how CTA bus assignments and operations work as a whole, this has more to do with how many buses may be down for maintenance at one time than it does what 103rd gave up given that garage got 40 foot buses in place of those artics if I remember correctly and garages like Kedzie and NP, both garages that tend to be stacked with buses, have also turned out to come up short here and there on occasion over this year. 

1 hour ago, jajuan said:

Yeah you can maybe make that argument.  However, looking at how CTA bus assignments and operations work as a whole, this has more to do with how many buses may be down for maintenance at one time than it does what 103rd gave up given that garage got 40 foot buses in place of those artics if I remember correctly and garages like Kedzie and NP, both garages that tend to be stacked with buses, have also turned out to come up short here and there on occasion over this year. 

I see what your saying and i agree that the CTA as a whole need to structure the assignments better especially when it comes to having maintenance on the buses, but it is always seems 103rd is always short because they are always having to borrow buses from other garages. 

12 hours ago, Master58 said:

I see what your saying and i agree that the CTA as a whole need to structure the assignments better especially when it comes to having maintenance on the buses, but it is always seems 103rd is always short because they are always having to borrow buses from other garages. 

But, essentially, all garages do it. The only thing I would question is that given the spare ratio (I haven't recalculated it since it appeared that routes like 95 weren't showing up properly on BusTracker) whether borrowing would be necessary to cover it. Obviously, 103rd has different needs than, say, 74th, because it needs articulated buses, and, in addition, the branded Jump buses.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Busjack said:

But, essentially, all garages do it. The only thing I would question is that given the spare ratio (I haven't recalculated it since it appeared that routes like 95 weren't showing up properly on BusTracker) whether borrowing would be necessary to cover it. Obviously, 103rd has different needs than, say, 74th, because it needs articulated buses, and, in addition, the branded Jump buses.

Time has proven that 103rd always comes up short which require them to borrow buses from other garages,  like i said in my previous statement CTA needs to start balancing the bus assignments. Garages like Kedize and North Park shouldn't be overstack with buses.

4 hours ago, Master58 said:

Time has proven that 103rd always comes up short which require them to borrow buses from other garages,  like i said in my previous statement CTA needs to start balancing the bus assignments. Garages like Kedize and North Park shouldn't be overstack with buses.

Define balance. You have to take into account what routes are assigned to a given garage to see why a garage has the number of buses it has. Take Kedzie and North Park for instance. You can't really say those garages shouldn't be stacked with buses in comparison to 103rd because those two run many of the very busy local and express routes that operate on the north side and within downtown (12, 22, 36, 49/X49*, 82, 134, 135, 136, 143, 146, 147, 148, 151, and 156 to name some)  while 103rd mainly has only the 6, J14, 26 and rush hour express trips of the 28 when it comes to downtown operating routes and the southeast side routes centered mostly around the 95th/Dan Ryan terminal.

*These of course shared with 74th

4 hours ago, jajuan said:

Define balance. You have to take into account what routes are assigned to a given garage to see why a garage has the number of buses it has. Take Kedzie and North Park for instance. You can't really say those garages shouldn't be stacked with buses in comparison to 103rd because those two run many of the very busy local and express routes that operate on the north side and within downtown (12, 22, 36, 49/X49*, 82, 134, 135, 136, 143, 146, 147, 148, 151, and 156 to name some)  while 103rd mainly has only the 6, J14, 26 and rush hour express trips of the 28 when it comes to downtown operating routes and the southeast side routes centered mostly around the 95th/Dan Ryan terminal.

*These of course shared with 74th

I think it boils down to maintenance complications at 103rd due to having to dedicate a fleet of artics just for J14 and there were never enough wrapped In the first place to even cover rush service. J14 uses 30 buses in the peak and only 25 are wrapped for service. Also a lot of the artics it got were already pretty worn when North Park swapped those 4000s for 4300s with 77th who themselves ran those artics 24/7 on 79 79th. As far as artic assignments go,  103rd actually has more assigned than Kedzie ever since the 26 became fully/mostly artic assigned and also now assigns artics to school runs on routes like 34, 95, 103,106, 108, and 119 which then dead head downtown to become either a J14 or 26 similar to the way NP/K interline artics from 62, 82, 92, 152 with routes 22, 134, 135, 136, 148

3 hours ago, Sam92 said:

I think it boils down to maintenance complications at 103rd due to having to dedicate a fleet of artics just for J14 and there were never enough wrapped In the first place to even cover rush service. J14 uses 30 buses in the peak and only 25 are wrapped for service. Also a lot of the artics it got were already pretty worn when North Park swapped those 4000s for 4300s with 77th who themselves ran those artics 24/7 on 79 79th. As far as artic assignments go,  103rd actually has more assigned than Kedzie ever since the 26 became fully/mostly artic assigned and also now assigns artics to school runs on routes like 34, 95, 103,106, 108, and 119 which then dead head downtown to become either a J14 or 26 similar to the way NP/K interline artics from 62, 82, 92, 152 with routes 22, 134, 135, 136, 148

Well my post was aimed at both artics and 40 footers combined in general in response to Master68's assertion that NP and Kedzie shouldn't be stacked with more buses than 103rd. But your post does get at another angle of why 103rd seems to need to borrow buses to fill a few runs here and there a bit more often compared to other garages.

5 hours ago, jajuan said:

Well my post was aimed at both artics and 40 footers combined in general in response to Master68's assertion that NP and Kedzie shouldn't be stacked with more buses than 103rd. But your post does get at another angle of why 103rd seems to need to borrow buses to fill a few runs here and there a bit more often compared to other garages.

But then we had about a month ago FG running NP routes.

9 hours ago, Busjack said:

But then we had about a month ago FG running NP routes.

I indirectly acknowledged that one in a sense when I mentioned higher up to Master68 that both NP and Kedzie had both also come up short at different points leading to their having to borrow buses despite being the two garages in recent years to have highest counts* of assigned buses among CTA's current bus garages.

*Up until Chicago took on more AM rush rush runs on the #12 than it already had and took over over the #157 in further efforts to ease Kedzie's capacity problems causing Chicago to replace Kedzie as number 3 garage in bus counts; 77th had already knocked it out of the number 2 spot soon after 77th purged itself of artics yet again