Bringing Back a Route and/or Segment

garmon757

On 3/14/2019 at 5:25 PM, YoungBusLover said:

Could Ogden Ave ever get a route. I've always wondered if it would be popular enough and have enough funds to be created. 

Ogden had transit service for over 100 years. Ogden used to be a major commercial street, solid storefronts. That all went away in the 1950's-60's. Ogden is mostly vacant lots and a few abandoned buildings west of Douglas Park. Service was cut and cut in the 70's and 80's because the buses were almost totally empty. Finally it was given up on as hopeless.

Elston was the same way. Once the industries along Elston closed, service shrank to nothing. 

Remember that the last major new territory CTA extended bus service to was around Higgins and East River, and that was back in 1973. Everything since has been minor or subsidised. 

Could Ogden Ave ever get a route. I've always wondered if it would be popular enough and have enough funds to be created. 

Ogden had transit service for over 100 years. Ogden used to be a major commercial street, solid storefronts. That all went away in the 1950's-60's. Ogden is mostly vacant lots and a few abandoned buildings west of Douglas Park. Service was cut and cut in the 70's and 80's because the buses were almost totally empty. Finally it was given up on as hopeless.

Elston was the same way. Once the industries along Elston closed, service shrank to nothing. 

Remember that the last major new territory CTA extended bus service to was around Higgins and East River, and that was back in 1973. Everything since has been minor or subsidised. 

56 minutes ago, andrethebusman said:

This posted 4 times, fyi

7 minutes ago, MetroShadow said:

Honestly, wouldn’t it make sense to renumber this (to say, 109)?

I'm not sure there's anything in CTA's nomenclature that would fit. 28A could be just as applicable now (if not slightly less) Although this reminds me of my point that suffix designations should to change for clarity's sake (53A to 53S, 49B to 49N, etc)

21 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I'm not sure there's anything in CTA's nomenclature that would fit. 28A could be just as applicable now (if not slightly less) Although this reminds me of my point that suffix designations should to change for clarity's sake (53A to 53S, 49B to 49N, etc)

28 minutes ago, MetroShadow said:

Honestly, wouldn’t it make sense to renumber this (to say, 109)?

How about 27? Fits CTA's numbering scheme AND reduces any chance of confusion with stony island service (28A would probably give the impression that its a south stony island bus) ??

Why was there never a route on 107th St? I feel as though it could fit buses, seeing as there's no on street parking allowed for a majority of the route, and it would have to end at Western due to the county club, but that seems like a pretty huge gap in service

Also, the 1965 routing of the 82 & 82A is just hilarious to me, I have no idea why

25 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Why was there never a route on 107th St? I feel as though it could fit buses, seeing as there's no on street parking allowed for a majority of the route, and it would have to end at Western due to the county club, but that seems like a pretty huge gap in service

I Agree, it could go via 95th, Cottage Grove, 107th. There could also be a route on 99th.

I don't know why there is no bus it is Certianly a service gap.

2 hours ago, XE NewFlyer said:

I Agree, it could go via 95th, Cottage Grove, 107th. There could also be a route on 99th.

I don't know why there is no bus it is Certianly a service gap.

This might be an unlikely and unrealistic idea imo, but the 107th route could start at the NE corner of 107th/Cottage with the 4/115 bus stop moved to the SE corner. then the route could go left at 105th, Rhodes until making a right at 107th, the route could go on 107th all the way to Western to 103rd, then Kedzie and return to 107th uintil reaching Pulaski to terminate at 104th/Pulaski to take pressure, if any off of the 103 IMO, maybe some 103's could terminate at Kedzie. I'm not saying this could be the routing, but this is what I think could happen if there was a 107 107th route.

8 minutes ago, cta5658 said:

This might be an unlikely and unrealistic idea imo, but the 107th route could start at the NE corner of 107th/Cottage with the 4/115 bus stop moved to the SE corner. then the route could go left at 105th, Rhodes until making a right at 107th, the route could go on 107th all the way to Western to 103rd, then Kedzie and return to 107th uintil reaching Pulaski to terminate at 104th/Pulaski to take pressure, if any off of the 103 IMO, maybe some 103's could terminate at Kedzie. I'm not saying this could be the routing, but this is what I think could happen if there was a 107 107th route.

Idk as far as support for 103rd its far from needed and a kedzie short turn might as well go the full length. Now that could all change with the extension where 103/106 are most likely going to be recombined (minus the 106th street tail this time around) 

1 hour ago, Sam92 said:

Idk as far as support for 103rd its far from needed and a kedzie short turn might as well go the full length. Now that could all change with the extension where 103/106 are most likely going to be recombined (minus the 106th street tail this time around) 

Tbh, the 103 & 106 could merge right now and continue serving 95th via Wentworth & Michigan seeing as they basically run at the same frequency

19 hours ago, cta5658 said:

However ALL cta routes exept for the 111A connect to a cta train

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 11:35 PM, Sam92 said:

Maybe if going on 103rd between Western and Kedzie doesn't work for the 107th route, maybe 111th?

8 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

8A is considered to connect with Red at 79th. 26 connects downtown. Non-rush 28 does not, rush does. 171, 172, 111A no rail connections. 

That's why they were in asterisks, for lack of direct connections, only perceived ones. That 8A one is especially wack, imo, it's too far to be a connection, but maybe that's childhood me speaking :D

• 1 month later...

I think I've said this before, but after now having to actually experience this, is there room for the 54 at Jeff Park? Or perhaps have it relocated to Irving Park instead of Cicero/Montrose. From getting off the Blue line to walking to Cicero & Pensacola, its about 7-9 minutes, that's not really a connection. I imagine if you're living off Cicero and you're north of Addison, if not Belmont, it's probably faster to take the 54 to Montrose east of an EW bus, but that 7-9 min walk, especially in the winter would make it a no-go. Even doing a Montrose/Elston/Lawrence/Cicero loop or vice versa would be an acceptable solution

4 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I think I've said this before, but after now having to actually experience this, is there room for the 54 at Jeff Park? Or perhaps have it relocated to Irving Park instead of Cicero/Montrose. From getting off the Blue line to walking to Cicero & Pensacola, its about 7-9 minutes, that's not really a connection. I imagine if you're living off Cicero and you're north of Addison, if not Belmont, it's probably faster to take the 54 to Montrose east of an EW bus, but that 7-9 min walk, especially in the winter would make it a no-go. Even doing a Montrose/Elston/Lawrence/Cicero loop or vice versa would be an acceptable solution

The X54 use to go Jeff Pk.  How did that routing go?