7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

Popped my cherry today and got a ride on a brand new Nova!!!(ok, just a 60-90 second ride, but it counts still). #8048 was the bus that broke my bubble today. First impressions on the new Novas....

• Odor & cleanliness: This bus might've gone into service about 2-3 weeks ago. Very clean and still had that new vehicle smell
  • Spacious: Ok, this might just be a illusion, but these buses seem to be more accommodating in the aisles then the New Flyers and 1st Gen Novas.
  • Lighting: Very bright LED lighting running along the sides and above on the ceiling.
  • Audible: Mr. CTA sounded very crisp on the speaker and the "Stop Requested" alert tone was loud. Not hard to tell if you pulled the cord on this bus

post-10-0-56829400-1427570642_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 3

<p>

Popped my cherry today and got a ride on a brand new Nova!!!(ok, just a 60-90 second ride, but it counts still). #8048 was the bus that broke my bubble today. First impressions on the new Novas....

• Odor & cleanliness: This bus might've gone into service about 2-3 weeks ago. Very clean and still had that new vehicle smell
  • Spacious: Ok, this might just be a illusion, but these buses seem to be more accommodating in the aisles then the New Flyers and 1st Gen Novas.
  • Lighting: Very bright LED lighting running along the sides and above on the ceiling.
  • Audible: Mr. CTA sounded very crisp on the speaker and the "Stop Requested" alert tone was loud. Not hard to tell if you pulled the cord on this bus
Yay!
  • Upvote 2

Welcome to the Club!!!

• Upvote 2

You know, with the Rauner funding cuts possibly coming up soon and potential service cuts and fare hikes in the CTA's future unless the funding cuts are lessened or eliminated, the Nova Bus order may stop at 7900-8199. I don't think the CTA will exercise the option to get 8200-8349 if a bunch of bus routes are slated for elimination in the next budget plan for 2016. The 1st Gen Novas will no doubt be mothballed and scrapped as well as the 800's. Sadly, the 700's might be parked at that point in a "Doomsday" scenario because by then, they would've gotten a year's worth of testing out of them, and I'm sure maintenance on an all-electric bus is probably more than a standard diesel bus or diesel-electric hybrid(the 800's would probably be scrapped because there are only 10 of them).

I remember a Doomsday scenario that came out many years back that pretty much was downright scary and thankfully never occurred, but I'll post what I remember from that scenario which was outrageous and was considered...

Bus Service

• #80 Irving Park: Eliminated
  • #11 Lincoln: Eliminated
  • #152 Addison: Eliminated
  • #78 Montrose: Eliminated
  • #81W West Lawrence: Eliminated
  • #77 Belmont: Still Active
  • #49 Western: Still Active
  • #49B North Western: Eliminated

Rail Service

• Brown, Green, Orange, Purple, Pink, Yellow Lines: All service would end at 10p and start at 5a or 6a, with I believe Sunday service ending at 8p.
  • Red and Blue Line: Service I believe would've ended at midnight or 1a-2a and resume at 4a or 5a. I don't think in this scenario, they continued as 24hr lines.

That was the big 1st ever Doomsday the CTA put on the table many years ago that had fares up to $7.00/ride with no transfers as well. Anyone else remember this insane Doomsday #1?

This is a shot in the dark, and most likely just a 1st Generation Nova LFS parked, but searching 77th using Google Maps, I came across an unusual bus parked along the fence(highlighted with arrows). Even at max zoom, it's grainy, but I can't tell if it might be a Nova Smart Bus or not. Most likely isn't, but the graininess of the image and how it looks different than the other Novas parked in the shot make it possible. Image is copyrighted 2014 Google.

That looks like a 6400 series Nova Bus

You know, with the Rauner funding cuts possibly coming up soon and potential service cuts and fare hikes in the CTA's future unless the funding cuts are lessened or eliminated, the Nova Bus order may stop at 7900-8199. I don't think the CTA will exercise the option to get 8200-8349 if a bunch of bus routes are slated for elimination in the next budget plan for 2016. The 1st Gen Novas will no doubt be mothballed and scrapped as well as the 800's. Sadly, the 700's might be parked at that point in a "Doomsday" scenario because by then, they would've gotten a year's worth of testing out of them, and I'm sure maintenance on an all-electric bus is probably more than a standard diesel bus or diesel-electric hybrid(the 800's would probably be scrapped because there are only 10 of them).

I remember a Doomsday scenario that came out many years back that pretty much was downright scary and thankfully never occurred, but I'll post what I remember from that scenario which was outrageous and was considered...

Bus Service

• #80 Irving Park: Eliminated
  • #11 Lincoln: Eliminated
  • #152 Addison: Eliminated
  • #78 Montrose: Eliminated
  • #81W West Lawrence: Eliminated
  • #77 Belmont: Still Active
  • #49 Western: Still Active
  • #49B North Western: Eliminated

Rail Service

• Brown, Green, Orange, Purple, Pink, Yellow Lines: All service would end at 10p and start at 5a or 6a, with I believe Sunday service ending at 8p.
  • Red and Blue Line: Service I believe would've ended at midnight or 1a-2a and resume at 4a or 5a. I don't think in this scenario, they continued as 24hr lines.

That was the big 1st ever Doomsday the CTA put on the table many years ago that had fares up to $7.00/ride with no transfers as well. Anyone else remember this insane Doomsday #1?

This sounds more like a slow, painful dismantlement of the entire CTA system!!! Every couple years more and more service being cut!!! Drawing more people to use more cars causing the traffic in Chicago to get unbearably worse! I know because Im one of them. I once used CTA to get everywhere. It was once a good running system, service was very frequent. But lately service hasnt been very good in the last few years since the last doomsday service reduction. It seems times have changed! CTA isnt as good as it used to be.

This sounds more like a slow, painful dismantlement of the entire CTA system!!! Every couple years more and more service being cut!!! Drawing more people to use more cars causing the traffic in Chicago to get unbearably worse!

Pretty soon, I'll be able to say to you all "Welcome to My World", folks (hee, hee, hee). :lol: When I relocated to Phoenix in 1996, I experienced "culture shock 101" as far as public transportation......or should I say the lack of it. :angry: In fact Sunday bus service in Phoenix was unheard of until around 1997-98, which wasn't all that long ago.

But really, all kidding aside, I truly hope it never gets that bad, be it for CTA, PACE or METRA.

This sounds more like a slow, painful dismantlement of the entire CTA system!!! Every couple years more and more service being cut!!! Drawing more people to use more cars causing the traffic in Chicago to get unbearably worse! I know because Im one of them. I once used CTA to get everywhere. It was a good running system, service was very frequent. But lately service hasnt been very good in the last few years since the last doomsday service reduction. It seems times have changed! CTA isnt as good as it used to be.

But this was Doomsday #1 put up by the CTA when Doomsdays started. I remember it because this p.o'ed me big time as I rely on CTA to get me around. This was just a sample. There were a lot of bus routes cut.... I think somewhere in the ballpark of 30-50 routes. I'll see if I can find the original plans for the Doomsday I mentioned...

Here it is.... worse than I thought... everything but Blue and Red Line service would've been suspended. 107 bus routes suspended(it doesn't mention which ones, but the ones I mentioned were chopped) and fares up to $7.00/ride. This was the one I was mentioning about.

If this scenario did play out, I imagine the rosters would've been something like this...

Buses:

• 4400-Series TMC RTS: Retired
  • 5300-Series Flxible Metro: Retired
  • 5800-Series New Flyer D40LF: Retired
  • 6000-Series Flxible Metro: Retired or Partially Retired
  • 6400-Series Nova Bus LFS: Active
  • 7500-Series NABI 60-LFW: Active(until they fell apart)
  • 1000-Series New Flyer D40LF: Active(still being delivered during this scenario. Probably would not have had all 1,030 ordered)
  • 800-Series New Flyer DE40LF: Active
  • 900-Series New Flyer DE40LF: Uncertain(This group was delivered in 2007, when the scenario was put out. Would these ten have been cancelled is uncertain)

Rail:

• 2200-Series Budd Cars: Retired
  • 2400-Series Boeing-Vertol Cars: Retired(exceptions to the work cars)
  • 2600-Series Budd/Transit America Cars: Partially Retired(with only the Blue and Red Lines operating, 700+ cars would not be needed)
  • 3200-Series Morrison-Knudsen Cars: Active

But this was Doomsday #1 put up by the CTA when Doomsdays started. I remember it because this p.o'ed me big time as I rely on CTA to get me around. This was just a sample. There were a lot of bus routes cut.... I think somewhere in the ballpark of 30-50 routes. I'll see if I can find the original plans for the Doomsday I mentioned...

Here it is.... worse than I thought... everything but Blue and Red Line service would've been suspended. 107 bus routes suspended(it doesn't mention which ones, but the ones I mentioned were chopped) and fares up to $7.00/ride. This was the one I was mentioning about.

As I mentioned, this was a political stunt concocted by Kruesi, to get pressure for a tax increase and--especially in 2007--to put pressure on Blago to rob Peter to pay Paul while dithering over whether he would go back on his no tax pledge (which he eventually did, as mentioned in the MCTS topic today). They were talking garbage about with a $55 million deficit (blamed on paratransit), they would have to do $220 million in cuts, because there would be such a loss of ridership and then an equivalent loss of RTA funding because of the 50% recovery ratio.

The plan cited here essentially built on the 2005 one to run the Sunday schedule 7 days a week, which would have indicated what routes would have been cut.

As I noted, when Rodriguez actually had to do cuts, even though it was on account of an about $100 million actual deficit, it wasn't this draconian, and it apparently didn't result in much of a ridership loss.

So, again, I don't see what the point is of your "what if" exercise.

And as mentioned a few times, Rauner still has to sell this to a legislature that's got a veto proof majority of the opposing parting in both chambers. And the newspapers both state that that fact means he has a steep uphill climb in getting the legislature to buy this. This is why after cooling down from my anger at his cajones for even thinking he would get that proposal through intact, I classified it as being his opening shot across the legislature's bow in negotiating the details of any budget deal. Despite coming to that conclusion, he still is not necessarily helping the service boards in the public's perception of whether they will be able to provide services although I doubt this has any effect on CTA getting buses 8200-8349 especially in light of Pace still moving forward with Pulse and CTA itself getting the Loop Link Project going by way of CDOT (this is a City of Chicago project correct?) really looking like they're already making noticeable progress with station construction along Madison and Clinton in these first early weeks since they broke ground.

• Upvote 2

I saw #8036 today.... but it was not in revenue service. It was being used as a training bus for Forest Glen. I spotted it heading west on Irving Park earlier this morning with a operator in a yellow jacket behind the wheel and several Bus Operators on the seats near the front(I counted 4 or 5). Perhaps the 8100's will be assigned to Forest Glen???

I saw #8036 today.... but it was not in revenue service. It was being used as a training bus for Forest Glen. I spotted it heading west on Irving Park earlier this morning with a operator in a yellow jacket behind the wheel and several Bus Operators on the seats near the front(I counted 4 or 5). Perhaps the 8100's will be assigned to Forest Glen???

I believe this supports my thoughts concerning this matter and someone was jumping to conclusions that FG would not get new ones.

Your joking right??

Maybe to avoid ambiguity on April 1, maybe reports should be prefaced with a link to a "Hey Jimmy Kimmel, I just told BusHunter..." video.

Where would the fun be in that if I did that? It's April 1st.... a perfect opportunity to utilize the age old "April Fools" prank... :P:lol: If I said that, it would ruin the joke....

I believe this supports my thoughts concerning this matter and someone was jumping to conclusions that FG would not get new ones.

Unfortunately, not the case right now, art. It's April 1st!!! April Fools!!! :D But seriously, I hope the #8100's are next to come to FG. However, rumors are swirling that Chicago will get them, and no doubt all the Chicago 1st Gen Novas will be assigned to replace aging FG 1st Gen Novas.

Your joking right??

I can't get nothing past you, huh? <_< Yes, it's a April Fool's joke. :D

• Upvote 1

Where would the fun be in that if I did that? It's April 1st.... a perfect opportunity to utilize the age old "April Fools" prank... :P:lol: If I said that, it would ruin the joke....

Unfortunately, not the case right now, art. It's April 1st!!! April Fools!!! :D But seriously, I hope the #8100's are next to come to FG. However, rumors are swirling that Chicago will get them, and no doubt all the Chicago 1st Gen Novas will be assigned to replace aging FG 1st Gen Novas.

I can't get nothing past you, huh? <_< Yes, it's a April Fool's joke. :D

Thanks. I actually believed you. <_<