7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

#8052 #8053 #8055 #8076 #8088 #8090 #8091 #8092 #8093 #8094 #8095 #8096 #8098 and #8099 have arrived.

#7928 is OOS. #7943 has a minor accident (as shown in the photo). #7960 is in a major hell hole. One of the back door is shattered, the right LED headlight is faulty, and the security cameras' hard drive has to be replaced.

post-1364-0-65456300-1426965221_thumb.jp

I wonder if Chicago will send over 20 #1000's to 74th. This way they could start the #8100's at Chicago garage. Else the #8100's will have to start off at 74th too and I don't really see them getting more new novas than 77th did.

Chicago giving 74th 1000s makes sense but it wouldn't make any kind of since for 74th having 8100s. Otherwise, why didn't 77th get 8000s??? :P

The problem are the oldest Novas. If more are going to break down consistently, then how the hell Forest Glen and Chicago are going to manage their fleet??? Forest Glen has to do something in a hurry. Otherwise, they're going to be in a hell hole until something gives.

Chicago giving 74th 1000s makes sense but it wouldn't make any kind of since for 74th having 8100s. Otherwise, why didn't 77th get 8000s??? :P

The problem are the oldest Novas. If more are going to break down consistently, then how the hell Forest Glen and Chicago are going to manage their fleet??? Forest Glen has to do something in a hurry. Otherwise, they're going to be in a hell hole until something gives.

Fg has all the old novas to fall back on, if something breaks then they will be getting more on a regular basis anyway. Looks like Chicago will be getting 74th's #6800's and then Fg will get them last. The only monkey wrench in all this might be the possibility of a service cut this fall/winter. FG might just lose the rest of the novas with that cut and the series will be retired just like the #6000's were all at once.

If the cuts are really bad and they do close a garage, it will probably be FG. Maybe then finally the NW side will get some newer buses cause it all be up to NP and Chicago then.

Fg has all the old novas to fall back on, if something breaks then they will be getting more on a regular basis anyway. Looks like Chicago will be getting 74th's #6800's and then Fg will get them last. The only monkey wrench in all this might be the possibility of a service cut this fall/winter. FG might just lose the rest of the novas with that cut and the series will be retired just like the #6000's were all at once.

If the cuts are really bad and they do close a garage, it will probably be FG. Maybe then finally the NW side will get some newer buses cause it all be up to NP and Chicago then.

Now you know that all hell would break lose if Forest Glen was to be shut down.

Now you know that all hell would break lose if Forest Glen was to be shut down.

I don't see that, because FG seems properly located with relation to the Jefferson Park terminal. C would pretty much have to cover the whole north side, less whatever NP covered. However, I said earlier that BusHunter was overreacting to Tammy Chase, which is what Tammy Chase wants.

If one wanted to do any speculating along BusHunter's lines, it would be that suddenly the need for Fisk disappeared.

I cant imagine another garage closure, especially one that is in a corner of the city. NP wouldn't have the space to take on all of those buses and the other garages are too far away to be of much help. Not that I would recommend it, but at least 77th would have enough space to absorb all of 103rd or 74th's buses should they want to close one of those. However those garages aren't that old (103rd turns 27 this year) and 74th is about 20 years old now. I don't know if an outdoor facility even ages.

... I don't know if an outdoor facility even ages.

The shop does, but both got rehabs. However, I don't see closing either after CTA just bought land to expand their footprints. I have to go out to see if they have taken over the garden center land on Elston, yet.

The question ultimately becomes which garage between Chicago and Forest Glen gets the 81xx buses. Chicago has an indoor facility but Forest Glen has the most and oldest junk. Right now I still say FG, but will it being an outdoor facillity hurt its chances. Based on NP with is boatloads of artics, I would say no. What could hurt FG is the lack of routes serving downtown. though 74th only has one downtown route also. Chicago has 4 (19, 20, 65, 66). If CTA is intent on keeping garages one bus model, then FG is the obvious choice.

Also, does any of Rauner's cutbacks affect the option of the last 150?

The question ultimately becomes which garage between Chicago and Forest Glen gets the 81xx buses. Chicago has an indoor facility but Forest Glen has the most and oldest junk. Right now I still say FG, but will it being an outdoor facillity hurt its chances. Based on NP with is boatloads of artics, I would say no. What could hurt FG is the lack of routes serving downtown. though 74th only has one downtown route also. Chicago has 4 (19, 20, 65, 66). If CTA is intent on keeping garages one bus model, then FG is the obvious choice.

The 19 doesn't count. Chicago has the 66 covered, so outdoor facility aside, they have equal chances based on ridership. If CTA wanted novas at garages who had good downtown coverage, Chicago and/or Kedzie would have gotten them 1st. Then, the 29 and 6 would've been moved to 77th since they would be next in line and NP supposedly needs its artics

I don't think the 150 bus option is affected as that's federal capital money. It's the operating budget that's a problem. But if they did can 11 routes then what buses take the fall the newly rehabbed #1000's? It would almost seem like they wouldn't need another 150 but if they have the extra capital money maybe they should just get the 150 option.

#8052 #8053 #8055 #8076 #8088 #8090 #8091 #8092 #8093 #8094 #8095 #8096 #8098 and #8099 have arrived.

#7928 is OOS. #7943 has a minor accident (as shown in the photo). #7960 is in a major hell hole. One of the back door is shattered, the right LED headlight is faulty, and the security cameras' hard drive has to be replaced.

Jeez!! Already!!! One thing Ill say about new buses in general. Its not long after once theyre delivered, you see one wrecked!

Now how the heck did you find all that out about 7960? :lol: On CTA5750's point about how quickly new buses get into some kind of accident, if other drivers didn't act like the buses aren't even on the road or can stop as fast as a car we wouldn't have that issue. And before anyone attacks me, that statement takes into account accidents where the bus operator might have been at fault.

I wouldn't doubt it. :P I think CTA forgot all about us north siders. Well here are a few more first day in service #8000's.

#8013: attachicon.gifcta 8013 on 9 at Irving Pk.PNG attachicon.gifcta 8013 side on 9.PNG

#8081: attachicon.gifcta 8081 on 49.PNG attachicon.gifcta 8081on the 49 and the belmont bridge.PNG attachicon.gifcta 8081 on 49 in distance.PNG

Um, FG territory is not the entirety of the north side sir. NP and Chicago do help serve this part of town too, as well as Kedzie by way of the 52 and 82. :lol: As for making a point about which garages would have been in contention for Smart buses if CTA were choosing based on number of downtown routes as I saw someone else making, Kedzie still would be a bad example because it was never a Nova garage with 6400s as 77th used to be and 74th currently is.

Now how the heck did you find all that out about 7960? :lol: On CTA5750's point about how quickly new buses get into some kind of accident, if other drivers didn't act like the buses aren't even on the road or can stop as fast as a car we wouldn't have that issue. And before anyone attacks me, that statement takes into account accidents where the bus operator might have been at fault.

Um, FG territory is not the entirety of the north side sir. NP and Chicago do help serve this part of town too, as well as Kedzie by way of the 52 and 82. :lol: As for making a point about which garages would have been in contention for Smart buses if CTA were choosing based on number of downtown routes as I saw someone else making, Kedzie still would be a bad example because it was never a Nova garage with 6400s as 77th used to be and 74th currently is.

Maybe he was eavesdropping on south shop??

Ok Sir, since we are getting formal, :P I was talking generally and not just FG and none of those areas have had a hint of a new nova except #7900. They also still have over 200 buses to rehab on the north side too, most of those haven't even been mechanically rehabbed yet. :huh::P The south side has had the first 200 novas, and all new rehabbed buses. I think between the 3 south side garages they only have about 10 non mechanical rehab buses left. :D Oh and they also have all touch screen device buses except for those 10 buses. Even the #6800's and all other 74th #6400's have them, even buses like #6479. (scratching my head) :huh: So I think my statement stands up to ridicule. :D :D :P