CTA in Train Simulator

briman94

I haven't posted an update in a while, so here ya go!

It's ok, but is still incomplete, briman. You need to get the crossings incorporated into the grade-level portions of the Brown Line. I viewed the video expecting to find these, and was a bit disappointed. If it's animated with cars crossing before the gates go down or not doesn't really matter. The fact though is you need to put all functioning crossings into the grade-level portion. Some sections have two crossings... one before the train pulls into the station and another as it departs the station. It should be easy to do with the simulator.

It's ok, but is still incomplete, briman. You need to get the crossings incorporated into the grade-level portions of the Brown Line. I viewed the video expecting to find these, and was a bit disappointed. If it's animated with cars crossing before the gates go down or not doesn't really matter. The fact though is you need to put all functioning crossings into the grade-level portion. Some sections have two crossings... one before the train pulls into the station and another as it departs the station. It should be easy to do with the simulator.

I know, but I redid the whole route from scratch since I posted the last update, so I haven't really had time to add that yet...I just recreated everything I had in the old one from scratch, including modeling a bunch of scenery myself. More grade crossings is next, but I might do the Orange Line first.

Mainly what I was highlighting in this video was the cab signal display, some of the scenery near Kimball/Western/Damen, and the signal operation. I also improved some sounds.

Edited by briman94

Couldn't the train wait for the woman in the green dress?

I think the trains have a predetermined amount of time when the doors are open. You don't have control over when the doors close. I've closed the doors on many passengers too.

Please keep in mind that it's just briman94 working on the entire project. Everything's not going to be perfect yet. Given the amount of things he has to do, I don't think being disappointed is fair to briman94, considering that not only did he create this entire project, he uploaded his work and then linked it to this site for us to see as he progresses. This is stuff that I can't even do in the simulator, despite my desire to create a Metra route. Think of this as an Early Access add-on.

• Upvote 4

I think the trains have a predetermined amount of time when the doors are open. You don't have control over when the doors close. I've closed the doors on many passengers too.

Please keep in mind that it's just briman94 working on the entire project. Everything's not going to be perfect yet. Given the amount of things he has to do, I don't think being disappointed is fair to briman94, considering that not only did he create this entire project, he uploaded his work and then linked it to this site for us to see as he progresses. This is stuff that I can't even do in the simulator, despite my desire to create a Metra route. Think of this as an Early Access add-on.

Well, I wasn't sure that it was just a early release of the Brown Line until he told me in a reply. I thought maybe it was too difficult with the game to make grade crossings(sometimes adding certain things cause bugs to games like freezing, glitching, etc...). I thought maybe he tried it but the crossings caused issues with stability so he just took them out. I apologize and retract my previous statement.

The only discrepancy in your project is the 45 mph speed limit. In reality, that doesn't exist. The light up bars in the speedometer box only indicates 15, 25, 35, 55, and 70 mph (good luck seeing that happen :P). Other than that, you have a bright future ahead of you mate! Also, the actual signals would be nice but I understand it's challenging to create it.

The only discrepancy in your project is the 45 mph speed limit. In reality, that doesn't exist. The light up bars in the speedometer box only indicates 15, 25, 35, 55, and 70 mph (good luck seeing that happen :P). Other than that, you have a bright future ahead of you mate! Also, the actual signals would be nice but I understand it's challenging to create it.

Actually, 45MPH does exist, but only on the 5000s. The 26/3200s have only the ones you've mentioned, and actually, I think 70MPH shows up on the Blue Line when they have no restriction (instead of 55 for some reason). The only thing is, I'm not sure if 45MPH is used at all on the 5000s; it depends on if the track infrastructure is configured for it or not.

I'm working on the signals too; It's easiest right now to just have two heads as I can't seem to find information on how three-or-more-headed signals work. They display aspects correctly, though, except in the Loop (I'm missing Lunar White for route indication).

Actually, 45MPH does exist, but only on the 5000s. The 26/3200s have only the ones you've mentioned, and actually, I think 70MPH shows up on the Blue Line when they have no restriction (instead of 55 for some reason). The only thing is, I'm not sure if 45MPH is used at all on the 5000s; it depends on if the track infrastructure is configured for it or not.

I'm working on the signals too; It's easiest right now to just have two heads as I can't seem to find information on how three-or-more-headed signals work. They display aspects correctly, though, except in the Loop (I'm missing Lunar White for route indication).

Oh ok cool! I was wondering "what the hell did he get the 45 mph speed limit from?". :P xD

Your best bet about the signal operation is to ask David Harrison. 

It (70mph) may show up on the Blue Line, but no trains(not even the 5000's) are able to go 70mph. All trains are governed for max speed to be 55mph. 70mph is listed as the cars balancing speed.

It (70mph) may show up on the Blue Line, but no trains(not even the 5000's) are able to go 70mph. All trains are governed for max speed to be 55mph. 70mph is listed as the cars balancing speed.

Right; I have the torque curve on the 5000s set so that they reach approximately 54.6 MPH on a flat surface and level out (balance). The 5000s are software-limited to 55MPH, just as the ones in the simulator, but both would be very easy to modify to go 70 if needed.

Edited by briman94

Oh geez, that couldn't be good! Brown Line coming back to Kimball and CRASH derailed! How many trains does the game allow on a route?

In theory, infinite. The problem was the AI routing algorithm...it sent the simulator into an infinite loop. I hadn't even started the scenario yet...I just finished adding the "stop at" instructions and saved the route, and it froze and wouldn't load again.

In theory, infinite. The problem was the AI routing algorithm...it sent the simulator into an infinite loop. I hadn't even started the scenario yet...I just finished adding the "stop at" instructions and saved the route, and it froze and wouldn't load again.

Everyone knows that it is supposed to crash into something at Kedzie and derail, making this moot.:(:/

• Upvote 1

• Kevin featured and pinned this topic
  • Kevin unpinned and unfeatured this topic

So I just found this out tonight while browsing on Steam: Apparently people can upload their routes directly to the Steam Workshop and have other people subscribe to their projects. It might be easier than downloading a file and installing it manually. 

I was fortunate enough to get Thameslink (Bedford to Brighton) Route and ECML - Northeast (Newcastle to York) from the workshop. I'm not sure you can add proposed CTA routes in there though.

I was fortunate enough to get Thameslink (Bedford to Brighton) Route and ECML - Northeast (Newcastle to York) from the workshop. I'm not sure you can add proposed CTA routes in there though.

Yeah, I'm not sure if there are any limitations/catches. I did see a fictional subway style route on there though.