The Breakdown Thread

sw4400

​If I remember correctly, that's the 3rd or 4th artic in the past 2 weeks. Totally off base here, but hopefully we don't have a 7500's repeat. Probably nothing serious.

​As for what's in the retirement yard, I probably need to get a better look (I wish I could), but it appears more than 1 NF artic is sitting there with the 3 Fuel Cell buses of the 5900 Series & the 30 foot buses of the 500 Series.

​If I remember correctly, that's the 3rd or 4th artic in the past 2 weeks. Totally off base here, but hopefully we don't have a 7500's repeat. Probably nothing serious.

​You're off base as you suspected. 3 or 4 artics out of 300-plus is definitely nowhere being another NABI situation.

​You're off base as you suspected. 3 or 4 artics out of 300-plus is definitely nowhere being another NABI situation.

​Of course, it took only 1 to break, and again, when Huberman was negotiating with the fed it was not contemporaneously stated how many had clogged particulate filters and the like, just that CTA had withheld the last payment.

​Of course, it took only 1 to break, and again, when Huberman was negotiating with the fed it was not contemporaneously stated how many had clogged particulate filters and the like, just that CTA had withheld the last payment.

​True but the other big difference was that told CTA they had a problem with the 7500s (beyond ignoring that they failed the Altoona tests) was that they were having many more than 3 or 4 at a time laid up for maintenance and those OOS buses were laid up longer than 4400s, 5300s, and 6000s that were down for maintenance. I think they said it was something like twice as long as those older buses if not longer sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...

​This the the correct topic.

As Andre pointed out, some buses go for repairs to Inland Detroit Diesel in Carol Stream.

​Another contract shop. Buses also go to Chicago Bus & Truck at 74th/Central, plus somebody in Bensenville or Elk Grove Village. These contract shops can do repairs cheaper than South Shops, it seems, even with the cost of towing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Cottage Grove bus vs a car this morning at 81st street. The bus was traveling SB bound and the car NB at about 9 AM, when the car veered into the bus's path triggering the accident. Haven't come across a news photo yet that shows which bus it was other than it was a New Flyer. Eight adults including the bus operator were injured. The bus didn't appear to have damage that was too bad if any from the angle of the photo shot from the NBC 5 news story that I spotted on my phone, but the car came out of it with right corner front fender damage and the loss of its front bumper. 

1 hour ago, jajuan said:

that shows which bus it was other than it was a New Flyer.

Saw it on TV but the only thing one could tell from the front is that it was one of hundreds of People's Court buses.

• 2 weeks later...

#1217 was involved in an accident today.... hit & run van hits bus and sends it into pole. Bus from front view doesn't look too badly damaged, though I can't see the rear, which is where I'm guessing the van struck the bus to send it into the pole. Passengers reported as having non-life threatening injuries.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/10-injured-in-cta-bus-hit-and-run-crash-police-say/1344993/

11 hours ago, sw4400 said:

#1217 was involved in an accident today.... hit & run van hits bus and sends it into pole. Bus from front view doesn't look too badly damaged, though I can't see the rear, which is where I'm guessing the van struck the bus to send it into the pole. Passengers reported as having non-life threatening injuries.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/10-injured-in-cta-bus-hit-and-run-crash-police-say/1344993/

Two accidents in less than two weeks initiated by careless/wreckless driving on the part of the driver of the other vehicle. I can also attest to be on buses lately that had some near misses because of some auto driver doesn't observe the bus having the right of way. Is it me or does it seem to be an increase of folks on the road who shouldn't be behind the wheel of a car? I can see why CTA has made so many of the bus stops in the city far side bus stops over the years.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, sw4400 said:

#6787 is disabled on #152 WB @ Elston due to apparent air pressure failure 

10 hours ago, BusHunter said:

That was in the 3rd lot at fg about a week or two ago. #6831 is still there for over a week now. #6747 was there. I think #6829 is there. 

As far as it being at elston it's gone now.

I would've snapped a pic of it, but the Bus Operator was siting in the bench seating near the right front wheel, and there was a CTA Technician in a pickup truck talking into a walkie-talkie or a CB Radio(my guess he was radioing for an Emergency Road Repair Van or a Wrecker to come to the site). I just got my Galaxy S7 almost three weeks' ago... I don't want to test these people to detain me and have it confiscated by CPD, though I'm not doing anything by taking a picture of a disabled bus. Even though I'm on a public sidewalk, they'll find some way to harass me about taking the picture, I'm sure.

7 hours ago, sw4400 said:

I would've snapped a pic of it, but the Bus Operator was siting in the bench seating near the right front wheel, and there was a CTA Technician in a pickup truck talking into a walkie-talkie or a CB Radio(my guess he was radioing for an Emergency Road Repair Van or a Wrecker to come to the site). I just got my Galaxy S7 almost three weeks' ago... I don't want to test these people to detain me and have it confiscated by CPD, though I'm not doing anything by taking a picture of a disabled bus. Even though I'm on a public sidewalk, they'll find some way to harass me about taking the picture, I'm sure.

I'm sure not all employees are like that, it's just the few that have an axe to grind. They're probably worried that someone's going to say they are doing something wrong. Overall the employees are nice, you just have to watch out for the new ones. I got my taste of that on #6801 I believe it was Sunday on the #152, around possibly the 15th. (The cubs were at Wrigley that day) First I get on the bus right and the operator kind says to me in a stern voice I'm going to be standing at Harlem for awhile. Then I said yes in a low voice cause I was tired and exhausted i had just redecorated a room of my house moving heavy furniture and stuff around. Then he yells at me did you hear me? i said yes then he does it again I said yes. Like what am I going to do tell him "oh yeah I'll just get off then and wait 20 minutes for the next one" I'm in a mood like please don't hassle me I just want to sit down and relax. So his aggression was one sided. So we go down the street and at Menard this guy who rung the bell said hey you passed my stop. So he said something to the driver like what are you doing and the driver blows up like volcano style and yells something but he's says the F word. A woman had got on at Austin with a small child like 4-6 yrs old. We'll then she got upset with this and she's arguing with him that he swore in front of her child. She asks him his number cause he's not wearing it. He says I don't have a number and here I am sitting in this Jerry Springer ripoff wondering can't I just have some peace. 9_9 She got off and was looking for the bus number and then he stopped the bus and apologized to her. I'm like really!! 9_9 I was thinking how does this employee keep his job? She got back on and exited at Central. That was probably one of my worst rides for operator conduct and I've been on thousands of buses. The recording probably still exists on the hard drive if anyone wants to check it out. I think they go for 2 weeks.

So while some members here might say "hey your off topic" really I'm not because we had a breakdown here but it was a mental one. xD

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, BusHunter said:

I'm sure not all employees are like that, it's just the few that have an axe to grind. They're probably worried that someone's going to say they are doing something wrong. Overall the employees are nice, you just have to watch out for the new ones. I got my taste of that on #6801 I believe it was Sunday on the #152, around possibly the 15th. (The cubs were at Wrigley that day) First I get on the bus right and the operator kind says to me in a stern voice I'm going to be standing at Harlem for awhile. Then I said yes in a low voice cause I was tired and exhausted i had just redecorated a room of my house moving heavy furniture and stuff around. Then he yells at me did you hear me? i said yes then he does it again I said yes. Like what am I going to do tell him "oh yeah I'll just get off then and wait 20 minutes for the next one" I'm in a mood like please don't hassle me I just want to sit down and relax. So his aggression was one sided. So we go down the street and at Menard this guy who rung the bell said hey you passed my stop. So he said something to the driver like what are you doing and the driver blows up like volcano style and yells something but he's says the F word. A woman had got on at Austin with a small child like 4-6 yrs old. We'll then she got upset with this and she's arguing with him that he swore in front of her child. She asks him his number cause he's not wearing it. He says I don't have a number and here I am sitting in this Jerry Springer ripoff wondering can't I just have some peace. 9_9 She got off and was looking for the bus number and then he stopped the bus and apologized to her. I'm like really!! 9_9 I was thinking how does this employee keep his job? She got back on and exited at Central. That was probably one of my worst rides for operator conduct and I've been on thousands of buses. The recording probably still exists on the hard drive if anyone wants to check it out. I think they go for 2 weeks.

So while some members here might say "hey your off topic" really I'm not because we had a breakdown here but it was a mental one. xD

Well, (my goodness I can't stop laughing about you) I'm not going to move this post! However, I would love to hear that recording! :D