More Bus Moves

sw4400

10 hours ago, jajuan said:

That would explain my seeing a 1300 that just recently went from NP to 74th operating on the 84 on Thursday evening. 

Um no, not if that series is over two decades old and only has a relatively few number left. Let's not ignore these buses' extreme age here. These buses actually should have been retired years ago. But delays in getting new buses for various reasons slowed that down. Were we talking about a younger series, then yeah your point is valid as that was the case when the NABI artics all got pulled from service after just a few years of service. 

Speaking of the NABIs, the history there makes me say that I'll believe the remaining 6400s will come back in some capacity when I see it. CTA said the same thing over a decade ago when they got pulled that they'd gotten pulled for inspections only to never come back in service. But the crucial difference here is that the 6400s issues that got them pulled are due to their old age, while the 7500s got pulled because of serious design flaws. 

Basically I was attributing the pulling of the 6400s to age and not the bus fire on one bus.  I also agree that the  6400s should've been retired long ago.  If they don't bring any of them back, the artics should keep them afloat until the new Novas arrive, except during winter storms.  If was a shame Pace didn't have any options for more Xcelsiors that CTA could have piggybacked on.  We also don't know when those Proterras will ever hit the streets.   But if CTA ZIs desperate,  some 6400s will come back 

4 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Basically I was attributing the pulling of the 6400s to age and not the bus fire on one bus.  I also agree that the  6400s should've been retired long ago.  If they don't bring any of them back, the artics should keep them afloat until the new Novas arrive, except during winter storms.  If was a shame Pace didn't have any options for more Xcelsiors that CTA could have piggybacked on.  We also don't know when those Proterras will ever hit the streets.   But if CTA ZIs desperate,  some 6400s will come back 

I think the 64's gone come back cuz you still have some that are in good shape & CTA use their buses until they can't use them no more if it wasnt for the doomsday I think CTA would have used the 5300's abother year or 2 & the 6000's until 15-17

16 minutes ago, Shannoncvpi said:

I think the 64's gone come back cuz you still have some that are in good shape & CTA use their buses until they can't use them no more if it wasnt for the doomsday I think CTA would have used the 5300's abother year or 2 & the 6000's until 15-17

1991- early 2009 vs 2000- early 2021 either way both series have served their purpose both going un-rehabbed proving to be very durable. The last few 5300's were in moderate condition but there time was coming the only reason they made it so far into 2008 was due to the slow delivery of the #1000s and #4000's then you factor in the garage they were at until retirements kicked in. The #6000's would of easily made it to 2014-2015 until the and #1000's rehabs started and #7900's started getting delivered. 

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

1991- early 2009 vs 2000- early 2021 either way both series have served their purpose both going un-rehabbed proving to be very durable. The last few 5300's were in moderate condition but there time was coming the only reason they made it so far into 2008 was due to the slow delivery of the #1000s and #4000's then you factor in the garage they were at until retirements kicked in. The #6000's would of easily made it to 2014-2015 until the and #1000's rehabs started and #7900's started getting delivered. 

Yea thats why I think the 60's would have made it till 15 or so if it wasnt for dooms day cuz they had just got done being rehabbed 2-4 years pior

2 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

I agreed with you until the 6000s.  Those buses were breaking down at such a high rate, CTA had to adjust deliveries so that 74th got 1000s when they went slated to get them.  Finally when Archer closed and the X routes were cut, the 6000s were retired and stored at Archer.  Along with the 5800s, the 6000s had the shortest life spans of any series besides the NABIS. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I agreed with you until the 6000s.  Those buses were breaking down at such a high rate, CTA had to adjust deliveries so that 74th got 1000s when they went slated to get them.  Finally when Archer closed and the X routes were cut, the 6000s were retired and stored at Archer.  Along with the 5800s, the 6000s had the shortest life spans of any series besides the NABIS. 

Yea they did if doom day never happened they could have ran till 15-2017 like I had said they was fresh out of rehab when they was knocked off

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

& yea they broke down alot of 6 but 6 had the 62-6300's that was breaking alot of those aint get rehabbed the ones that C K & FG had wasnt breaking as much as 6's buses was 

7 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

& yea they broke down alot of 6 but 6 had the 62-6300's that was breaking alot of those aint get rehabbed the ones that C K & FG had wasnt breaking as much as 6's buses was 

About 75% to 80% of the #6000s that were rehabbed out of 74th during the time they had the entire fleet practically. 74th couldn't keep up with that demand of maintenance they required for such an aging fleet. The #6000s were braking down everywhere outside of 74th. Needless to say I still stand by my point about a decent batch of them making it to 2014-2015. At least 100 of them at best spread between 74th,77th,FG,103rd and Chicago Ave. The smaller the blocks the better off they are to maintain at each garage.

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

About 75% to 80% of the #6000s that were rehabbed out of 74th during the time they had the entire fleet practically. 74th couldn't keep up with that demand of maintenance they required for such an aging fleet. The #6000s were braking down everywhere outside of 74th. Needless to say I still stand by my point about a decent batch of them making it to 2014-2015. At least 100 of them at best spread between 74th,77th,FG,103rd and Chicago Ave. The smaller the blocks the better off they are to maintain at each garage.

Yea you right just I wasnt hearing then break down as much as I was hearing them breaking at 6 

5 hours ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

Ik but I meant which numbers in that series (ex. 6838, 6849, etc.)

#6771 was out front last night. I drove by with my bus. Nice looking transportation office but the place is pretty new. Chicago probably looks good too. I think I saw #6749 behind #6771 but I could be wrong it was dark when I drove by. 

12 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

#6771 was out front last night. I drove by with my bus. Nice looking transportation office but the place is pretty new. Chicago probably looks good too. I think I saw #6749 behind #6771 but I could be wrong it was dark when I drove by. 

I seen 1 of those noavs out today riding down 79th but I was turning & couldnt get the number

49 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

That would be 6746 since 6749 is long gone