More Bus Moves

sw4400

3 hours ago, artthouwill said:

What's the purpose of the 6400s shuffle?  

Storage and inspections, FG doesn't have enough space for 60+ out of service 6400's so to even things out a good chunk were sent to several garages that had available space to store them until further notice. 

4 hours ago, artthouwill said:

What's the purpose of the 6400s shuffle?  

2 hours ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

I'm going to say so the novas get a chance to run around the city before the retirement and so each garage can equally clean the buses out

If that was the case, why send them all to FG in the first place?

2 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

they’re out of service due to a recent fire on #6860 

WE would be in trouble if a series or fleet of buses were pulled out of service because of one fire.

51 minutes ago, Shannoncvpi said:

As they must be inside cuz I aint seen none when I drove around 6 yesterday 8007 was the lone duck parked behind the garage 

If they are out of service,  does it matter whether they are indoors,?  I would think you'd want the running buses indoors.  Besides that, they all have engine plugs.

25 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

Storage and inspections, FG doesn't have enough space for 60+ out of service 6400's so to even things out a good chunk were sent to several garages that had available space to store them until further notice. 

What's the purpose of the 6400s shuffle?  Storage space  or lack thereof.  Does this mean all of the 6400s are done with?

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

If that was the case, why send them all to FG in the first place?

WE would be in trouble if a series or fleet of buses were pulled out of service because of one fire.

If they are out of service,  does it matter whether they are indoors,?  I would think you'd want the running buses indoors.  Besides that, they all have engine plugs.

What's the purpose of the 6400s shuffle?  Storage space  or lack thereof.  Does this mean all of the 6400s are done with?

One can argue yes and no, I asked a similar question earlier in the week about why a majority of #6400s were not sent down to SS if the initial impression by me was that were getting retired. Why have them scattered across all seven garages if they were going to get retired? After asking around and getting clarity from BusOps I got a better understanding which is they're going to get inspected and which ever ones are deemed safe for service may return where as the others well you know where that road leads to.

6 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

One can argue yes and no, I asked a similar question earlier in the week about why a majority of #6400s were not sent down to SS if the initial impression by me was that were getting retired. Why have them scattered across all seven garages if they were going to get retired? After asking around and getting clarity from BusOps I got a better understanding which is they're going to get inspected and which ever ones are deemed safe for servicd may return where as the others well you know where that road leads to.

this is smart which ever are good to go they can come back and which is not well bye buddy enjoy retirement 

On 3/4/2021 at 8:52 AM, BusOps said:

Yes this move has to deal with the electrical fire on #6860. CTA pulled all the remaining 6400s off the street and put them out of service 

That would explain my seeing a 1300 that just recently went from NP to 74th operating on the 84 on Thursday evening. 

On 3/6/2021 at 2:57 PM, artthouwill said:

Um no, not if that series is over two decades old and only has a relatively few number left. Let's not ignore these buses' extreme age here. These buses actually should have been retired years ago. But delays in getting new buses for various reasons slowed that down. Were we talking about a younger series, then yeah your point is valid as that was the case when the NABI artics all got pulled from service after just a few years of service. 

Speaking of the NABIs, the history there makes me say that I'll believe the remaining 6400s will come back in some capacity when I see it. CTA said the same thing over a decade ago when they got pulled that they'd gotten pulled for inspections only to never come back in service. But the crucial difference here is that the 6400s issues that got them pulled are due to their old age, while the 7500s got pulled because of serious design flaws. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jajuan said:

That would explain my seeing a 1300 that just recently went from NP to 74th operating on the 84 on Thursday evening. 

Um no, not if that series is over two decades old and only has a relatively few number left. Let's not ignore these buses' extreme age here. These buses actually should have been retired years ago. But delays in getting new buses for various reasons slowed that down. Were we talking about a younger series, then yeah your point is valid as that was the case when the NABI artics all got pulled from service after just a few years of service. 

Speaking of the NABIs, the history there makes me say that I'll believe the remaining 6400s will come back in some capacity when I see it. CTA said the same thing over a decade ago when they got pulled that they'd gotten pulled for inspections only to never come back in service. But the crucial difference here is that the 6400s issues that got them pulled are due to their old age, while the 7500s got pulled because of serious design flaws. 

I hope the 64's come back