Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

Yeah but to bounce the ball back to the other end of the court, Pace has not only bought new buses (close to 300,) with a healthy dose of up to 125 plus cngs coming within 2 years, it has invested in new technology, instead of abandoning it which seems to be what cta has done with hybrids. It's going to transfer 2 garages to a completely different fuel source all with a smaller budget than cta. Can cta say that? 

CTA seems to be spending alot of time on electric technology, when the technology itself is rapidly evolving. Towers to charge a bus will soon be old, the future is most likely charging pads. 

I stand by my remarks about Pace, I really do believe they will be on an alternative fuel source by 2040. I wish they would try out hydrogen fuel cell eldorados. The 30 foot ones. This way they could have a newer tech for the smaller buses too. 

CTA is just too much a deer in the headlights when it comes to propane or cng type buses since they had that bad garage fire in the 60s. They just need to make sure the tanks are outside. I've fueled a propane bus myself. It seems safe to me. We have a sister garage that has half or its garage propane buses. Sometimes when we are doing a charter across town you end up at the other facility. They had loaned us a few propanes for a certain charter. Sometimes customers request certain buses. Because we are a diesel garage we had to fuel at their garage. Seems to me in my experience, the fuel runs out faster but I dont know the price of propane. 

Propane seems to act up in the cold.  Its harder to fuel in extreme heat and extreme cold.  You have to make sure the O ring around the fuel hole is snug and not broken.  Otherwise the propane will leak or evaporate.  I also don't know the size if the propane tanks in the buses, but you will get more mileage from the diesel fuel or even regular gas than propane.  It use to ne way cheaper, but I think the difference in price between propane and diesel is not very large anymore.  Same goes for CNG.  

Fueling propane is much slower in extreme cold and extreme heat.

18 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Thelawbreakers. Law abiding citizens need not be afraid.

I still don't see what the law breakers scared for he'll I dont be scared whenni do my crooked things my job is to do it & get away they job is to catch me ?? they already know what's going on so aint no use of hiding they a scoop them 1 day but today they got bigger fish to catch

My former boss was an older short (like 5 foot) black woman and she had a white car like that. You have to admit, the car makes her look more tough than she was and your less likely to mess with her. The trouble with rideshare is you have to put the company logos on your car which totally screws up the tough factor. 

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Propane seems to act up in the cold.  Its harder to fuel in extreme heat and extreme cold.  You have to make sure the O ring around the fuel hole is snug and not broken.  Otherwise the propane will leak or evaporate.  I also don't know the size if the propane tanks in the buses, but you will get more mileage from the diesel fuel or even regular gas than propane.  It use to ne way cheaper, but I think the difference in price between propane and diesel is not very large anymore.  Same goes for CNG.  

It's pretty interesting. I looked up the registration on our propanes, and the buses were originally from Los Angeles. Dont know if it's a company experiment but the garage that has them is a city garage serving chicago services. It's a fleet of a good 40 -50 buses. We tend to work the south side, but we will serve most customers in the city or suburbs as long as it's on the south side. But I have worked in Winnetka. But it's rare. We have more northern garages than southern. 

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

My former boss was an older short (like 5 foot) black woman and she had a white car like that. You have to admit, the car makes her look more tough than she was and your less likely to mess with her. The trouble with rideshare is you have to put the company logos on your car which totally screws up the tough factor. 

Takes away what tough look bro

5 hours ago, artthouwill said:

My dad was a cab driver for 40 years & in the last few years in the 1980s, Checker & Yellow here went to propane Chevy V-6s.   At first they had starting problems in cold weather, but within a few months, there weren't any starting problems or fueling problems, other than only the one garage that had the propane.

8 hours ago, BusHunter said:

It's pretty interesting. I looked up the registration on our propanes, and the buses were originally from Los Angeles. Dont know if it's a company experiment but the garage that has them is a city garage serving chicago services. It's a fleet of a good 40 -50 buses. We tend to work the south side, but we will serve most customers in the city or suburbs as long as it's on the south side. But I have worked in Winnetka. But it's rare. We have more northern garages than southern. 

That makes sense, doesn't LACMTA have like an all-CNG fleet or something like that?

2 hours ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

Lemme be honest. People notice you responding if you got lights and sirens. If you don't got sirens or lights then that means it a suspicious car and the cops might track you tbh. Not many cop cars are vics anymore too btw

I dont have that issue its still alot of vics in CPD fleet just took the back up role but alot of officers wave at me when I drive pass so I wave back or they give me the tumbs up when they on a street stop so I give it back to em