Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

28 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

#6846 has been M.I.A for the longest and I'm kind of surprised it isn't at SS or in one of FGs dead lots ,to see #6868 back there again mostly likely means its done and probably will get scrapped. I appreciate the footage though.

No problem bro I thought it might have went to ss by now then 

8 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

#6846 has been M.I.A for the longest and I'm kind of surprised it isn't at SS or in one of FGs dead lots ,to see #6868 back there again mostly likely means its done and probably will get scrapped. I appreciate the footage though.

There were others MIA for super long like 6824 6810, 6764 and 6873 and I wonder if they’re  with 6846 as well 

2 minutes ago, Shannoncvpi said:

They might be further over I didn't go that far didnt wanna get in the way of any buses

Oh ok. I also notice 6712 the work bus in the lot it looks dead like 6868. 8279 was out there Tuesday but now it’s in the 3rd yard must’ve broken that day. 1011 was last out January 21 before it broke

2 hours ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

Oh ok. I also notice 6712 the work bus in the lot it looks dead like 6868. 8279 was out there Tuesday but now it’s in the 3rd yard must’ve broken that day. 1011 was last out January 21 before it broke

i think that 3rd lot by the neighborhood where 1011 and 8279 are buses that need to go to SS

4 hours ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

Aw I aint know 6712 was a WB & man they must hav w broke badly to have to go to SS

19 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

I don't know why CTA allowed artics to be out today with advanced warning of this snowstorm, now there's a bottleneck going where operators have to pullin buses with loads of passengers on them. 

So it's a bunch of passengers waiting outside the 77th entrance for a westbound bus? That was annoying over the summer, we'd be on a regular 79 to western or ford city and we'd get to the red line or the dominicks and a supervisor would get on the bus and say it's only going to wentworth

3 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

So it's a bunch of passengers waiting outside the 77th entrance for a westbound bus? That was annoying over the summer, we'd be on a regular 79 to western or ford city and we'd get to the red line or the dominicks and a supervisor would get on the bus and say it's only going to wentworth

Wow its all messed up I feel bacmd for the peoole waiting on the bus CTA cant be on time on a dry day a messed up day like this aint nobody on time 

7 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Yeah there were at least 3 #4000s waiting for instructions from control or supervison when I left yesterday afternoon and the people had to wait for 40 footers to scoop them all up, it was definitely an odd occurrence to witness. It just boggles my mind as to why we would even put artics out before a snowstorm is supposed to come through the area with nearly a foot of snow in some areas.

On 1/30/2021 at 4:29 PM, YoungBusLover said:

I don't know why CTA allowed artics to be out today with advanced warning of this snowstorm, now there's a bottleneck going where operators have to pullin buses with loads of passengers on them. 

I'm having a feeling that they might jackknife sometime sooner or later.

On 1/30/2021 at 4:29 PM, YoungBusLover said:

Considering this, how much does it make sense to move to an all-40ft fleet post-pandemic? I know this might be surprising coming from me, but having an all-40ft fleet might make things easier on snowy days. For routes that normally use artics, one way to mitigate the crowds is increase frequency on the route, increase frequency on nearby routes, or make more express zones. If routes like the 4, 20 and 66 could run with only 40-footers before the pandemic, other heavy routes (e.g. 146) should in principle be able to run with only 40-footers. Plus, ridership will likely be lower than it was pre-pandemic anyway.

2 hours ago, Anthony Devera said:

Considering this, how much does it make sense to move to an all-40ft fleet post-pandemic? I know this might be surprising coming from me, but having an all-40ft fleet might make things easier on snowy days. For routes that normally use artics, one way to mitigate the crowds is increase frequency on the route, increase frequency on nearby routes, or make more express zones. If routes like the 4, 20 and 66 could run with only 40-footers before the pandemic, other heavy routes (e.g. 146) should in principle be able to run with only 40-footers. Plus, ridership will likely be lower than it was pre-pandemic anyway.

This wouldn't be sustainable. We have a surplus of artics, not a situation where we don't need any at all. It might be a while before the bounceback happens, but we're going to have ridership back at some point. Now, there might need to be some restructuring that has to occur, but CTA will still need artics in some capacity.

10 hours ago, Anthony Devera said:

To increase frequency means increasing costs for more equipment, more drivers along with salaries and benefits, more fuel costs.  These are the very reasons artics came into existence, not to mention pollution reduction.  Small cities might get away with this, but New York, Chicago, Washington D.C., and others need artics.

• Upvote 1

On 1/31/2021 at 9:12 PM, Anthony Devera said:

Probably