8350-series Nova LFS - Updates

WCR

10 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Thats if I'm still at CTA or in the city ?? but I think they will still be running by then if cta is taking 600 of em hell the last ones gone come in like 2024-25 with as slow as nova is 

As indicated by the gap between the 2001 and 2002 Novas, and for that matter, 8324 and 8325, the timing depends on when the Chicago Transit Board exercises the options. In those cases, CTA delayed, while in the case of 1630-2029, it accelerated them. But this contract is not like in the 1970s or 1990, when CTA bought 500 at a time (certainly not the 1970s, when it bought 1870 in about 4 years--now its total fleet is about that). here, the contract is 100 a year, and the Board only authorized the first 100.

9 minutes ago, Busjack said:

As indicated by the gap between the 2001 and 2002 Novas, and for that matter, 8324 and 8325, the timing depends on when the Chicago Transit Board exercises the options. In those cases, CTA delayed, while in the case of 1630-2029, it accelerated them. But this contract is not like in the 1970s or 1990, when CTA bought 500 at a time (certainly not the 1970s, when it bought 1870 in about 4 years--now its total fleet is about that).

Yea so the last of the 8325 still gone be running in 2040  if CTA take that option cause 

1 minute ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Yea so the last of the 8325 still gone be running in 2040  if CTA take that option cause 

That's what the Charging Forward plan at least implied, when it said no more diesel orders after 2026,

12 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

well spring pick is March 27th i wonder if these 8350’s plan on showing up soon i wouldve figured they’d be in service by now bcuz i remember they put the 8325’s in service around this time back in 2018 i think

They put the 8325s in on 2/24/19

On 3/5/2022 at 10:00 AM, Busjack said:

As indicated by the gap between the 2001 and 2002 Novas, and for that matter, 8324 and 8325, the timing depends on when the Chicago Transit Board exercises the options. In those cases, CTA delayed, while in the case of 1630-2029, it accelerated them. But this contract is not like in the 1970s or 1990, when CTA bought 500 at a time (certainly not the 1970s, when it bought 1870 in about 4 years--now its total fleet is about that). here, the contract is 100 a year, and the Board only authorized the first 100.

Busjack wow!! Where have you been? It’s good to see you on here again ???

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Busjack said:

Today's meeting agenda includes approval of Option 1 for an additional 100 buses.

So that leads me to wonder if a total of 100 buses have actually been built yet. If CTA has approved of the option does that also mean if they were built has the delivery process begun already?

2 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

So that leads me to wonder if a total of 100 buses have actually been built yet. If CTA has approved of the option does that also mean if they were built has the delivery process begun already?

To my knowledge,  only 8350 is on site at SS.  I haven't heard any news about CTA giving Nova a notice to proceed,  nor u have I seen or heard about 8350 testing in revenue service. I suppose the only ways to know if any buses besides 8350 have been built is  sightings at either Plattsburgh or SS or points in between.   

My only question is how soon does Option 1 come after the delivery of the base order?

19 minutes ago, Tcmetro said:

During the presentation about electric buses and up coming bus orders, it was mentioned that the first 100 would arrive from Spring to Fall, with the next 100 beginning to arrive in the Fall.

The other thing I noted in that presentation was that there was a comparison of the emissions between a 1000 series and 7900 series bus, so while we think there are separate 7900, 8325, and 8350 series, CTA considers them one series, which would explain why this one is 8350 and not 8400,

10 hours ago, Busjack said:

The other thing I noted in that presentation was that there was a comparison of the emissions between a 1000 series and 7900 series bus, so while we think there are separate 7900, 8325, and 8350 series, CTA considers them one series, which would explain why this one is 8350 and not 8400,

I see it no different than the DE60LFs. We COULD (and unofficially on a few occasions considered the stimulus artic's as 4150s)but it's just  2 different orders with different set ups and features but still the same model and therefore same series thus they just add on to whatever exists. Plus  I think series number availability is tight so with this being potentially 600 new buses, they have no choice but to continue the 7900 series cause 2100-2600 is the only thing left you can use as a fleet number until you officially get rid of the old rail cars. 

Just now, Sam92 said:

I see it no different than the DE60LFs. We COULD (and unofficially on a few occasions considered the stimulus artic's as 4150s)but it's just  2 different orders with different set ups and features but still the same model and therefore same series thus they just add on to whatever exists. Plus  I think series number availability is tight so with this being potentially 600 new buses, they have no choice but to continue the 7900 series cause 2100-2600 is the only thing left you can use as a fleet number until you officially get rid of the old rail cars. 

Brain fart, should've said 2100-2600 and 8400-9999 as fleet number availability

13 hours ago, artthouwill said:

To my knowledge,  only 8350 is on site at SS.  I haven't heard any news about CTA giving Nova a notice to proceed,  nor u have I seen or heard about 8350 testing in revenue service. I suppose the only ways to know if any buses besides 8350 have been built is  sightings at either Plattsburgh or SS or points in between.   

My only question is how soon does Option 1 come after the delivery of the base order?

I believe Nova should have half of the base order already built. Nova could be more slower than we think, perhaps hopefully they will put #8350 on the news for CTA like they’ve done to the pilot buses of the #6400’s, #1000’s, #4000’s, and the #7900’s. The base order is slated to go into service by the end of this year with option 1 maybe beginning to come in mid 2023 (my guess) with 100 buses arriving every year.

1 hour ago, Bus1883 said:

I believe Nova should have half of the base order already built. Nova could be more slower than we think, perhaps hopefully they will put #8350 on the news for CTA like they’ve done to the pilot buses of the #6400’s, #1000’s, #4000’s, and the #7900’s. The base order is slated to go into service by the end of this year with option 1 maybe beginning to come in mid 2023 (my guess) with 100 buses arriving every year.

Yeah the base order is this year, option 1 next and so on. 100 buses a year. Now if they are late like say buses dont come in until 2023, they will receive the 200. I remember when the 6400s came in, they came in late and shortly after delivering #6401-04, they delivered #6540-49. CTA didnt know what to do with them so they wound up at 77th until 77th got its share of buses. There must have been a change order at Plattsburgh by the cta because then some of the #6500's came in with the #6400's. 

Now if the buses are late, it could have many reasons. The pandemic has caused not only a shortage of parts (it took the ford dealer a couple months to fix my transmission) there was a shortage of labor and still may be. Freedman seating has been hiring for months. The only way to really tell if nova has an issue without being on the inside, is to look at their orders are they late or on time. New Flyer probably has deeper resources, but I wouldnt count out nova, they have been getting the orders lately, so it depends on how well they are managed during a crisis, if there is one. 

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

Yeah the base order is this year, option 1 next and so on. 100 buses a year. Now if they are late like say buses dont come in until 2023, they will receive the 200. I remember when the 6400s came in, they came in late and shortly after delivering #6401-04, they delivered #6540-49. CTA didnt know what to do with them so they wound up at 77th until 77th got its share of buses. There must have been a change order at Plattsburgh by the cta because then some of the #6500's came in with the #6400's. 

Now if the buses are late, it could have many reasons. The pandemic has caused not only a shortage of parts (it took the ford dealer a couple months to fix my transmission) there was a shortage of labor and still may be. Freedman seating has been hiring for months. The only way to really tell if nova has an issue without being on the inside, is to look at their orders are they late or on time. New Flyer probably has deeper resources, but I wouldnt count out nova, they have been getting the orders lately, so it depends on how well they are managed during a crisis, if there is one. 

Yeah when the pandemic first started I ordered me a new bike from Walmart to replace my old worn out one, which got delayed because of the outbreak, I believe  there are still major bike shortages going on tho due to the pandemic. And with McDonalds making no more chicken tenders. Man it was interesting that the last Novas #6540-49 in the base order of the #6400’s came in really early. True fact is that #6544 is the only one in that range that remains in the boneyard? while the rest in the #6540 range is scrapped. Perhaps with just #8350 here. We are just 99 more to go or perhaps 199 because of the additional 100 in option 1 for 2023 after the base order is received with 200 already in service with 400 to go 

2 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Yea they could come in all over the place & freedman seating is a messed up place to work I worked there in 2015 through a temp they pay low wanna work you like you are slaves dont know where they want you to work they will put you to work somewhere expecting you to already know how to do it then when you start understanding how to work it they move you somewhere else I would never work there again but I did bend bus seats in place for the 8300's & my cuz when he worked there put in the fabric for them  

1 hour ago, NovaHater said:

Look who decided to make an appearance at South Shop this morning 

B5C37CDA-1D26-4AD2-A167-01F61664E0C9.jpeg

53 minutes ago, Shannoncvpi said:

It showed back up wonder where its been 

If not inside SS, then maybe it took a journey to Plattsburgh for some factory fixes.  Perhaps CTA was pleased with the fixes enough exercise Option 1