8350-series Nova LFS - Updates

WCR

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Unfortunate that CTA doesn't have any coaches in their fleet.  NY has MCIs and Prevost coaches.  Eell at least Pace has coaches.

That's not unfortunate lol. CTA doesn't really have any service where coaches would be necessary. NYC MTA runs many high capacity highway routes. Same for AC Transit and it's what Pace uses their coaches for. NJTransit is probably on the only agency where coach buses are doing regular on-street service, but then most of those routes end up on the expressway as well (since that's the only way you can enter NYC & Philly) and many of those routes are also insanely long. There's a local route I take to go to a mall in South Jersey from Philly and the full route is close to 2.5 hours long one way. It even begins/ends at the greyhound station instead of the downtown philly loop most NJTransit routes take. The longest trips on the 9 and 49 just barely cross the 90 min mark.

CTA has like 5-7 routes that could work with coaches (the 2, the 26, the Michigan & LaSalle expresses and that's it probably) and they wouldn't provide any significant benefit over using 2-door artics. Now if CTA started sending east-west routes that go to or near lake shore drive and sent them downtown, or started sending the routes at Jeff Pk, Midway and 95th downtown, that's different lol. Leave the coaches to Pace. I always thought the I-90 express routes would've done better if they'd gotten some coach buses and just send them all the way to the loop.

14 hours ago, Mr.cta85 said:

This is the best photo I could get of 8350. I like the slight difference of this bus in comparison of 8349-25. They remind me of a updated 6400 series as far as the top look lol ???.

032F6DAA-A912-4C91-B03C-96C2ED0EA6EE.jpeg

If you want me to be honest, I like this setup better than 7900-8349 as far as up top is concerned.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, ChicagoNova said:

I just thought about this now: I would like to see North Park & Forest Glen garages totally filled with nothing but Novas, both 60' & 40' for North Park & 40' for Forest Glen. I'm saying this now because I'm about to move to the north side.

I don't know when or if CTA will put an RFP for artics.  Nova can  certainly bid if that happens.   

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

When are 4000-4207 due up? Should be about 2023 at the latest right? I know the earliest 4300-4399 is up is 2024

The 4000s started arriving in 2009 when the NABI fiasco was going down.  The first 30 were already delivered when CTA pulled all of the NABIS off the street.   Soon before the 4000 - 4149 deliveries were about to be done,  CTA exercised a lease for 4150 - 4207.  Thus the first  150 are eligible for retirement now and the next 57 probably next year.  However we know that those buses won't be retired for at least the next two years  and if possible,  probably not until 2025.

The other artics are 2013s and are eligible for retirement in 2025.  

7 hours ago, Sam92 said:

4000s have been due seeing as they’re 6 years older. Since 2018-2019

Dont expect to see that 40's be retired anytime soon only way they getting retired this year or next is if they get into a crash & its frame damage then they gone knock it off same way with the 1000's

15 hours ago, artthouwill said:

The 4000s started arriving in 2009 when the NABI fiasco was going down.  The first 30 were already delivered when CTA pulled all of the NABIS off the street.   Soon before the 4000 - 4149 deliveries were about to be done,  CTA exercised a lease for 4150 - 4207.  Thus the first  150 are eligible for retirement now and the next 57 probably next year.  However we know that those buses won't be retired for at least the next two years  and if possible,  probably not until 2025.

The other artics are 2013s and are eligible for retirement in 2025.  

Wow what a sudden drop off of the first 4000s 

10 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Dont expect to see that 40's be retired anytime soon only way they getting retired this year or next is if they get into a crash & its frame damage then they gone knock it off same way with the 1000's

I never said it was going to happen but they’re eligible and tbh they HAVE been breaking down pretty frequently so the first bit of extra money I wouldn’t be surprised if they jumped on it. You know Seattle got some spare artics its probably gonna pass on anyway ?

9 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

I never said it was going to happen but they’re eligible and tbh they HAVE been breaking down pretty frequently so the first bit of extra money I wouldn’t be surprised if they jumped on it. You know Seattle got some spare artics its probably gonna pass on anyway ?

True cuz we have gotten buses from settle before 

8 hours ago, NovaBusFan said:

Here’s my shots of #8350, I really like the updated thermo king HVAC units which looks better than the ones on her mother 7900-series and sister 8325-series. She looks exactly like her grandmother 6400-series Novas????

4B3C5FBD-027F-4DC0-A9CC-39C9E85E5A22.jpeg

90C80010-1386-45DF-A6EE-972C0EFF4AA3.jpeg

IMG_4393.MOV 91.41 MB · 2 downloads

40058D3D-DFDD-41BD-BE03-3C8EE99927DD.jpeg

I seen it today I got a video on it in the random file 

On 8/18/2021 at 1:38 PM, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

interesting it’s in the same spot for few days now 

Mechanics are working on it pretty much everyday I usually see maybe 3 or 4 at best on there throughout the day. Another thing I noticed is the HVAC on #8350 is from a different manufacturer called Mobile Climate Control. Hopefully they're better than Thermo king in some aspects.

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

Mechanics are working on it pretty much everyday I usually see maybe 3 or 4 at best on there throughout the day. Another thing I noticed is the HVAC on #8350 is from a different manufacturer called Mobile Climate Control. Hopefully they're better than Thermo king in some aspects.

Got to be better than Thermo King. Heavily tinting the windows is not really an answer. Who ever did the air conditioning on the Proterras did an awesome job. I'd be looking to see what other buses could take that companys ac units. 

9 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

Yeah it’s definitely better than thermo king trust me, we should get since nice AC next summer and see how it turns out?

Mta’s novas start in 8090 and they expand through the 8500’s so they have matching fleet numbers with some of the cta ones. Mta buses have rainbow signs which don’t and the run boxes are rollsign so those are some differences. Ye New York always used the no roof fin option along with TTC to make it to me what I call “standard nova” look