Dan Ryan Track Renewal Project

newport

As far as the Green line, with the Ashland/63rd yard going to Red line, that only leaves Harlem yard for the storage of Green line cars (storage capacity for 86 cars) so there will be some cuts to Green line equipment.

Probably, if some runs don't go to the south side, but the 61st Yard was mentioned before.

Thanks. And I did have the thought that you back up in your response to my question that this may be a little more complicated from the track switching side of it in actual implementation than it seems on paper. As with any engineeing project, no matter how many contingencies you plan out on paper to make things go as smoothly as you can, you still find you'll have to tweek something here and there along the way.

I would tend to expect more Loopers in the rush period that in non-rush. Perhaps in non-rush all Green line trains would be Cottage Grove/East 63rd. That would give more capacity on East 63rd to handle the bus transfers. Extra capacity on East 63rd could be handled with longer trains (8 cars), but an accomodation in the safety margain at Cottage Grove would have to be put in place. Longer trains would really be a "Vegas" long shot.

The schedulers at the CTA are really going to have fun with these five months. What is the real unknown is which travel facility displaced riders will use to get to center-city. That won't really be known until the first week, so every possibility has to be put in place. On hand suspervision and the ability to shift resources will really be important.

David Harrison

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.transitch...m/95thTerminal/

95th Street Terminal Improvements

In 2014, construction will begin on the 95th Street Terminal Improvement Project, a $240 million project (projected cost) that will expand and greatly improve the 95th/Dan Ryan station (the south terminal of the CTA Red Line)—a project that will bring significant improvements to a station that is a vital part of the South Side.

The CTA is soliciting feedback from customers who use the terminal. Two open houses are scheduled in September. This is the public's chance to tell us how the terminal can be improved as we begin the design phase.

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

5:00 to 7:00 p.m.

Harlan High School

9652 S. Michigan Avenue

This location is served by: Red Line (95th/Dan Ryan) and CTA Bus #34, #103, #106, and #119.

Thursday, September 13, 2012

6:00 to 8:00 p.m.

Palmer Park

201 E. 111th Street

This location is served by: CTA Bus #34, #119, #353; Pace Bus #353; and Metra Electric 111th Street (Pullman).

Built in 1969 and designed by architects at the famed Chicago architecture firm Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, the station serves as both a train terminal and an integrated bus terminal. The station is one of CTA's busiest, with 24-hour Red Line service and over 1,000 CTA and Pace bus trips on a typical weekday. These buses connect Far South Side communities to the CTA rail network. There are roughly 300,000 people who live within walking distance of the CTA bus routes serving the 95th/Dan Ryan Terminal.

The station has seen a number of changes and improvements since it opened, including the addition of an elevator and other accessibility improvements, but nothing at the scale of what is proposed for this project. A brand new terminal would include a different design providing a better layout for customers accessing the terminal from 95th Street as well as boarding buses and trains once inside. New amenities will also improve comfort and the overall transit experience.

What is the purpose of this project?

The 95th/Dan Ryan station is a critical piece of the CTA's Red Line. It connects Far South Side communities, to job centers throughout the region and serves as a transit gateway for the South Side and suburbs.

The rail terminal is located in the median of the I-94 Dan Ryan Expressway and the bus terminal flanks the expressway. The station site is highly constrained, bound by 95th Street on the South, State Street to the east, and Lafayette Avenue to the west, causing bus delays and traffic conflicts, due to limited space. In the current terminal there are only 20 bus bays which must accommodate dozens of CTA, Pace, Greyhound and Indian Trails intercity buses. The station does not currently have direct access to and from 95th Street, a problem that requires pedestrians to use terminal areas for street access, posing safety risks.

Improvements are also needed to better serve existing high volume of riders, provide safer passenger access to buses and the train station, and expand passenger facilities that will lead to a modern, safe and pedestrian-friendly transit center with fewer delays and shorter travel times.

What work will be done?

While specific details on the expansion are still being discussed, major renovations and expansions to the station house are aimed at providing more space and improve the walking flow of passengers, with new or expanded bus terminal facilities—as well as Red Line platform improvements. Here are some basic features:

• New station building with bright, airy spaces and clear sightlines
  • Expanded platforms to provide more room and easier flow of passengers
  • Station will be largely enclosed in glass for maximum light and protection from the elements
  • Wider bus lanes and increased spacing between bus bays to reduce congestion
  • Wider sidewalks and waiting areas in bus terminal for increased passenger comfort and safety
  • Sound panels at platform level to provide a more comfortable, less noisy space
  • Additional escalators and elevators
  • Additional space in front of ticket vending machines and fare gates

How is the project to be funded?
The projected cost of the project is $240 million. Funding would come from the following sources:

• $12 million from a TIGER grant
  • $80 million from a TIFIA loan (low interest federal loan)
  • $10 million from a Federal Bus Livability Grant
  • $60 million in federal funds
  • $50 million in State of Illinois funds
  • $28 million from CTA bond proceeds

More information

Details about the final design and plan will be presented to the community and posted here as the planning for this project progresses. Construction is expected to begin in 2014, after the Red Line South Track Rehabilitation Project is completed. Please email your comments and questions about this project to: 95thTerminal@transitchicago.com

Mike Payne

• 1 month later...

I have just created a new Yahoo Group "Red Line Shutdown" to acquire and distribute Information, Ideas, and Comments about the Shutdown; and I will be asking Harvey Kahler to be an additional Moderator for the Group: http://finance.group...EDLINESHUTDOWN/

Please consider joining the Group, and giving us access to your GREAT STOREHOUSE of knowledge - as you guys know LOTS about Chicago's Transit situation and Infrastructure.

The Group is still in the process of being set-up, so it may be a while before it is working correctly; any suggestions on how to make it work better?

(And N O - I am N O T going to Delete it)

Thanks - and Welcome,

Mike Payne

• 3 weeks later...

For those looking at the Pace angle, they did post that a survey will be done regarding the effect of the Dan Ryan closure on riders of Pace buses who use the 95th St. terminal.

The web version of the survey is here.

The choices are:

Take a Pace bus to the CTA 95th Street Station and connect to the CTA Red line shuttle service to downtown

Take a Pace bus to a Metra suburban station and connect to the Metra Electric or Rock Island to downtown

Take a TEMPORARY Pace Express bus (from Harvey Transportation Center) to downtown (please Note this service is still under consideration)

Take a TEMPORARY Pace Express bus (from Blue Island Park & Ride) to downtown (please Note this service is still under consideration)

• Upvote 2

Does Pace have enough buses to add Express Service?

For the Bears game they had a 2 bus limit on 768 and 769.

Plus,the bus would be empty on the reverse trip.

It might be worth haveing 353 go t0 Garfield station

By then they should have some Axess buses, and I suppose could lease more OTRs.

If you want my opinion on this, it doesn't make sense to have express buses from Harvey or Blue Island, because both are next to a Metra station. I also assume, although it was not asked, that it would be a $4 express fare, like 355 was, hence meaning that the passengers may as well ride Metra (apparently $4.75 a single ticket, although they could buy passes).

Does Pace have enough buses to add Express Service?

For the Bears game they had a 2 bus limit on 768 and 769.

Plus,the bus would be empty on the reverse trip.

It might be worth haveing 353 go t0 Garfield station

Monday Night's game, despite the fact that it was a shortage of equipment, was just that. Can't take a bus that's already "reserved" for a special route. They should have spares once the new buses roll in (as mentioned).

As for the options, optimally it would be best to send the buses to the Metra Stations, but what do you do with service between Harvey/Riverdale/Blue Island and points north? Yes, you could tell them to go SOUTH and connect with another line, but if the fare is too restrictive to the loop, keep it to just Pace/CTA and not get Metra's fares involved.

Monday Night's game, despite the fact that it was a shortage of equipment, was just that. Can't take a bus that's already "reserved" for a special route. They should have spares once the new buses roll in (as mentioned).

As for the options, optimally it would be best to send the buses to the Metra Stations, but what do you do with service between Harvey/Riverdale/Blue Island and points north? Yes, you could tell them to go SOUTH and connect with another line, but if the fare is too restrictive to the loop, keep it to just Pace/CTA and not get Metra's fares involved.

There is the Kensington station (115th St.), at which all main line trains stop, and the ME mainline has stations in Riverdale (138th St) and Ivanhoe (Riverdale at 144th St.). (ME schedule)

The real question is whether either CTA is going to pay Pace for this (I suggested earlier that it should give some of its Build Illinois money to Metra and Pace to accomodate the inconvenienced passengers), or Pace thinks it can make enough off the proposed routes (which I doubt)

Update: Did you really mean go south to connect with the [proposed] Pace express in Harvey?

Looks like another project update is underway by either another press release or a series of community meetings. As addressed in the July 14th meeting, a suggestion was made to add a shuttle at Cermak-Chinatown & it seems that will be included in the service plan. Could #24 Wentworth & added Metra service be added & will the J14 Jeffrey Jump have service hours increased in it's service plan. Looks like CTA is finally ready to give project viewers an much needed update

post-670-13519938764556_thumb.jpg

JUST assumption that their will be an update based on the updated reroute map released Friday, this is more of a question than answer. Remember, i went to the July 14 meeting & did a review posted on this post

And I've stated my assumption before. Again, probably a proposition for a fair betting pool.

And I've stated my assumption before. Again, probably a proposition for a fair betting pool.

Trust, CTA is pretty much ready to set this plan in motion. As i stated the CTA does listen, so just because they release a tentative plan doesn't make it a done deal. Write & voice your opinion because you may never know when your idea might be used to enhance a plan. GO TO THE CTA COMMUNITY MEETINGS, that's the reason why they are implemented to gwt you, the rider, the consumers feedback on any service changes

Trust, CTA is pretty much ready to set this plan in motion. As i stated the CTA does listen, so just because they release a tentative plan doesn't make it a done deal. Write & voice your opinion because you may never know when your idea might be used to enhance a plan. GO TO THE CTA COMMUNITY MEETINGS, that's the reason why they are implemented to gwt you, the rider, the consumers feedback on any service changes

Now there is an assertion of fact. Other than maybe the Chinatown bus, can you cite any real evidence? Like say on Lincoln Ave., when you last made this assertion.

For that matter, it still hasn't posted its 2013 Budget Recommendations, and it is 3 weeks after the other service boards posted theirs.

Go back to what I said before about worthless Illinois politicians.

I agree with Busjack.If they would have listen at the COMMUNITY MEETING to the riders and business effect by this there would have been no change on Lincoln

Here another point i want to make.Why is Emauel and Company waiting til 2013 to build the Cermak Station on the Green Line instead of this year.The station would have been in place for the reroute.

It would take longer than a year to build the station.

The Morgan Station, for example, took two years from start to finish, so even if they started building Cermak this year, it wouldn't be done until 2014 at the earliest. So, in other words, it would not be in place for the Red Line reroute.

In the meanwhile, construction of the new station would lead to slow orders and other disruptions right in the middle of the Red Line reroute as they're working on the platforms and whatnot.

The Morgan Station, for example, took two years from start to finish, so even if they started building Cermak this year, it wouldn't be done until 2014 at the earliest. So, in other words, it would not be in place for the Red Line reroute.

In the meanwhile, construction of the new station would lead to slow orders and other disruptions right in the middle of the Red Line reroute as they're working on the platforms and whatnot.

The land where the station would be build is all ready vacant.If the CTA ready wanted to it can have been build in time for the reroute..

The land where the station would be build is all ready vacant.If the CTA ready wanted to it can have been build in time for the reroute..

I sort to have to go along with See on this one.

If nothing else, they would have to screw between the existing tracks to install a platform, and the stairs and elevators to get to it.

I sort to have to go along with See on this one.

If nothing else, they would have to screw between the existing tracks to install a platform, and the stairs and elevators to get to it.

Its hard to say.

But,I think Emanuel might have to put it on the priority list,

If he is trying to get Depaul to have a stadium over there.

They could always build a temporary station for Cermak (like they did with the 54th/Cermak branch in the 90's) made of wood. (no elevators or escalators just stairs) They wouldn't have to construct a station house, if they opened it in May and used it primarily for the Dan Ryan shutdown. They could get that up in a few months if they wanted to.