garmon757

Random Metra

I must be living right. This afternoon (around 3:00pm or so) I was northbound on Canal going under the Orange Line tracks and I saw the car sitting on the the adjacent ROW.

• Upvote 1

On 4/22/2019 at 4:06 PM, richii0909 said:

Ha ha finally #88

D6F180C3-FE2F-4E09-BD2D-9523FE22F7A8.png

My train...109 to Antioch, and I think you caught me walking up to the front with my cup of coffee for the ride home (about 2 cars back).

7 hours ago, trainman8119 said:

My train...109 to Antioch, and I think you caught me walking up to the front with my cup of coffee for the ride home (about 2 cars back).

What I notice from that photo is that the baggage platform at Union Station is level with the bottom step of the coaches, while the passenger platforms are a long step up.  The same at Ogilvie & LaSalle.

That makes no sense, as except for the through tracks at Union, no oversized equipment is going through the other stations, which are all stub end terminals.  Metra needs to raise the platforms at Ogilvie & LaSalle & demand that Amtrak do the same at Union.  Not only would that be safer, although high level boarding is the best, but it would also speed up unloading at the terminals.

31 minutes ago, strictures said:

What I notice from that photo is that the baggage platform at Union Station is level with the bottom step of the coaches, while the passenger platforms are a long step up.  The same at Ogilvie & LaSalle.

That makes no sense, as except for the through tracks at Union, no oversized equipment is going through the other stations, which are all stub end terminals.  Metra needs to raise the platforms at Ogilvie & LaSalle & demand that Amtrak do the same at Union.  Not only would that be safer, although high level boarding is the best, but it would also speed up unloading at the terminals.

I think the platform being level with the bottom step (if that's what I think you were asking for) would mess up peoples natural step rhythm. They're already expecting to step up to board the train, and currently it works/looks like a pair of stairs (with a gap). Change it, and I think it might be worse. Happy to be wrong, however

Actually the bottom stair is lower than the baggage platform at CUS. I am sure there is some logical reason for this, I just don’t know what it is. Same with the passenger platforms. It’s railroad and commuter operations not the L so platforms are what they are.

12 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I think the platform being level with the bottom step (if that's what I think you were asking for) would mess up peoples natural step rhythm. They're already expecting to step up to board the train, and currently it works/looks like a pair of stairs (with a gap). Change it, and I think it might be worse. Happy to be wrong, however

It won't mess up anyone's step rhythm, in fact, it would be safer with the tens of thousands that go through the stub terminals daily.

All that will happen is they get to the bottom step & go right onto the raised platform.

23 hours ago, trainman8119 said:

Actually the bottom stair is lower than the baggage platform at CUS. I am sure there is some logical reason for this, I just don’t know what it is. Same with the passenger platforms. It’s railroad and commuter operations not the L so platforms are what they are.

In the days of long distance trains which Union station was built for the baggage platform height matched the floor level of the baggage cars allowing baggage carts to be easily moved in and out of the baggage car. They were never designed to be used with Metra bi-levels.