More Bus Moves

sw4400

3 minutes ago, ThirdRailVision said:

@MTRSP1900-CTA3200 @artthouwill Thanks for the quick replies! Was this for the conductor's area or inside the motorman's cab area? (Side question: If the motorman was in the head cab, where was the conductor's area in the train consist?) 

The conductor's area was at the rear of the odd numbered cars. The door controls  were added to the motor man area when CTA went to one man operations.  The 3200s were already manufactured with  one man operation in mind.  The 2200s, 2400s, and 2600s were rehabbed to accommodate this type of operation.  The Orange Line operated the 3200s.  

When one man operation first went into effect, conductors were kept only for rush hour service, but eventually they were done away with altogether.

The old 6000s had conductor controls on the side opposite the motor and cab but at the rear of the car.  He would be in one car for stations with island platforms and he would change cars for stations with side platforms.

On 7/7/2018 at 4:40 PM, ThirdRailVision said:

@MTRSP1900-CTA3200 @artthouwill Thanks for the quick replies! (Side question: If the motorman was in the head cab, where was the conductor's area in the train consist?) 

You’re welcome! From what I’ve seen in photos and other hints in the railcars, I would say Art is correct. Before full width cabs were on the 2600s, the window opposite the cab was a regular window, and could not be opened. We all know those windows can be opened now. Also, some of the side windows at the blind ends of the car were able to be opened for the conductors, and the stanchions around there on the 2400s looked like they were reinforced to carry the weight of the control box.

I just heard the news, well, by the posted signs, the over-40-years-old escalator to the Pulaski auxiliary entrance at Irving Park Blue Line station is about to be ripped out! The sign said that it has problems that can't be resolved, and it's time for it to go. If state funding is granted sooner by fall, it will get a brand new, more efficient and safer escalator for customers. So with that, the Pulaski entrance will be temporarily shut down until project is completed.

R.I.P. 1970-2018

27 minutes ago, Johnny 5 said:

I just heard the news, well, by the posted signs, the over-40-years-old escalator to the Pulaski auxiliary entrance at Irving Park Blue Line station is about to be ripped out! The sign said that it has problems that can't be resolved, and it's time for it to go. If state funding is granted sooner by fall, it will get a brand new, more efficient and safer escalator for customers. So with that, the Pulaski entrance will be temporarily shut down until project is completed.

R.I.P. 1970-2018

Already posted under CTA Rail Alerts, which is the proper location.

On 7/7/2018 at 4:56 PM, artthouwill said:

The conductor's area was at the rear of the odd numbered cars. The door controls  were added to the motor man area when CTA went to one man operations.  The 3200s were already manufactured with  one man operation in mind.  The 2200s, 2400s, and 2600s were rehabbed to accommodate this type of operation.  The Orange Line operated the 3200s.  

When one man operation first went into effect, conductors were kept only for rush hour service, but eventually they were done away with altogether.

The old 6000s had conductor controls on the side opposite the motor and cab but at the rear of the car.  He would be in one car for stations with island platforms and he would change cars for stations with side platforms.

Also the other motivation behind the rehabs of the 2600s was that they ran into issues of Chicago's sometimes heavy snows getting sucked into the motor components and burning them out. I remember the news stories of the time of rail commuters being hit with huge delays on the Red and Blue Lines because so many train consists that used 2600s were breaking down at the height of rush hour in such large numbers because of snow in the motors. 

6 hours ago, jajuan said:

Also the other motivation behind the rehabs of the 2600s was that they ran into issues of Chicago's sometimes heavy snows getting sucked into the motor components and burning them out. I remember the news stories of the time of rail commuters being hit with huge delays on the Red and Blue Lines because so many train consists that used 2600s were breaking down at the height of rush hour in such large numbers because of snow in the motors. 

Supposedly the blizzard of 1999 was the main turning point. Also remember hearing somewhere that the CTA had to pull 3200s to cover for the 2600s.

3 hours ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

Supposedly the blizzard of 1999 was the main turning point. Also remember hearing somewhere that the CTA had to pull 3200s to cover for the 2600s.

I remember all of the Blue Line trains short turning at Jefferson  Park with CTA and charter buses shuttling between Jefferson Park and the other stations between and at O'Hare.

15 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

#1009 is on Rt.49 as a loaner to North Park from Fg, also there we're a few low #1700s on Rt.62 this morning.

1024 was a loaner to north park as well as 1009 1011 1759 1024<<that was all yesterday I think NP lost 1388 to 74th it’s working 49 western today acording to the tracker it was working Rt 62 yesterday

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2018 at 9:08 AM, Aiden Tabucic said:

1024 was a loaner to north park as well as 1009 1011 1759 1024<<that was all yesterday I think NP lost 1388 to 74th it’s working 49 western today acording to the tracker it was working Rt 62 yesterday

Or it could have been a loaner to 74th. Remember the 49 is shared between NP and 74th. So when seeing a bus on that route you have to be careful to either get the run number or observe what other routes it may have been on in the days close to that day observing the bus on the 49.

On 7/14/2018 at 9:10 AM, Aiden Tabucic said:

I saw 1383 with the “F” Sticker On It I think 1379-1386 will come back to FG after summer is over next month or September just like 1000-1004 did last year 

The F sticker still being on the windshield is meaningless after a recent move to a different garage as it sometimes takes garages several weeks to update garage stickers. And unless you're working in CTA bus operations or have a telepathic link to someone who does, you don't know that and can't say what moves will happen when fall pick changes and reassigments get implemented.

2 hours ago, jajuan said:

Or it could have been a loaner to 74th. Remember the 49 is shared between NP and 74th. So when seeing a bus on that route you have to be careful to either get the run number or observe what other routes it may have been on in the days close to that day observing the bus on the 49.

The F sticker still being on the windshield is meaningless after a recent move to a different garage as it sometimes takes garages several weeks to update garage stickers. And unless you're working in CTA bus operations or have a telepathic link to someone who does, you don't know that and can't say what moves will happen when fall pick changes and reassigments get implemented.

I'm pretty sure FG will get 1561-1563 or 1379-1386 back because I rode 1800 today 85 Central Still has "F" On It wait and see tmrw morning or afternoon rush 

15 hours ago, Aiden Tabucic said:

I'm pretty sure FG will get 1561-1563 or 1379-1386 back because I rode 1800 today 85 Central Still has "F" On It wait and see tmrw morning or afternoon rush 

As @jajuan indicated, it isn't like that they permanently engraved the sticker reading into the bus. CTA changes them when it feels like doing so.

Hi Folks;

My friend told me he boarded a Loop bound Pink Line train at the Kedzie Green Line station this past Wednesday during the AM rush. He alighted at Clark and Lake and called

me at 7:45am. Was CTA doing some interlining? I've read about Brownage trains but this is the first I've heard of this. Any ideas?

8 hours ago, geneking7320 said:

Hi Folks;

My friend told me he boarded a Loop bound Pink Line train at the Kedzie Green Line station this past Wednesday during the AM rush. He alighted at Clark and Lake and called

me at 7:45am. Was CTA doing some interlining? I've read about Brownage trains but this is the first I've heard of this. Any ideas?

The question is how did he know it was a Pink Line train? Pink Loop destination sign, run numbers, or announcements?