More Bus Moves

sw4400

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

A lot of major CTA changes happened when I wasn't old enough to be interested in public transit, so I went back to look at old early 2000s era maps and I'm honestly astounded by some of the route decisions. The only ones I really remember was the 1 going to 63rd/Stony, 35 going to Mercy/Michael Reese and the existence of the 27 South Deering, and I would've been around 3-5 years old if memory serves correctly. A lot of these make me wonder what the reason was behind a particular decision. List of things I found amazing:

• 52A went all the way to Kedzie/36th Pl
  • North Hyde Park
    • 51 used to end at 47th/Lake Park
    • 28 going to 47th/Red Line
    • 47 ending at 47th/King Dr
  • Didn't know the 6 used to run on Jeffery
  • Some X routes were LTD routes (the 53AL always confused me)
  • 77 going to the Nature Musuem
  • 76 and 152 ending at Diversey/Inner Drive
  • The existence of Pace bus 254
  • Pace bus 210 going to the Loop, then being truncated to Bryn Mawr Red Line
  • Whatever that weird turnaround the 96 used to do
  • The Clybourn diversion on the 73
  • The LaSalle express routes not getting on LSD until essentially North Ave
  • The 28 going all the way to Paulina/Congress
  • The spaghetti Evanstons
  • I remember the 129 (and the moldy Flxibles that ran on it) but not the 127
  • Apparently the 124 was the Navy Pier "Express"?
  • The 56 going to Navy Pier
  • 147 going to the Finacial District
  • I definitely remember the 12 going to Museum Campus (which should be brought back, imo)

I will cover the south side ones.

When I was young, the 28 used to  end at 47th/Indiana  while the 47 terminated at Lake Park.  Both routes overlapped between the  47th SSMstatin (now the Green  Line) and Lake Park.  The 47 was truncated to King Drive in the '80s.  The 28 got extended to the  47th Red Line as a result of the Green Line shutdown and  rebuild from 1994 through 1996, but kep the same routing until 2003.  At that time the 28 became an Express to  downtown with some rush trips to the Illinois  Medical District.   The 47 was restored to end at Lake Park again.  

The 1 Drexel/Hyde Pk ran between  NW (Oglivie) Stationand 83rd South Shore Drive while 27 S Deering ran between  63rd/Stony  Island and 112th/Torrence via zStony, 73rd, Exchange, Commercial,  104th and Torrence.  In early 80s, the 27 was rerouted to the 1's routing via Marquette,  Jeffery. 67th, and South Shore to 83rd, then 83rd Exchange  and the rest of the  27 routing. The 1 was not only shortened but  combined with the  38 Indiana to form the 1 Indiana/Hyde Park, keeping the 38s terminus at Union Station. When the 1 was shortened  to Drexel square, the 51 was extended to 47th and Lake Park until 2003 when the 51 was shortened to the  47th Red Line and the 15 Jeffery Local was created  to fill the void along east 51st and Hyde Park. 

The 6 ran on Jeffery south of 67th.  In 1981 the 14 S Lake Shore Express wa introduced,with odd number  stops along Jeffery.  The 14 was peak direction rush service to downtown  terminating at NW Station.  In 2003, the 14 became a fulltime bidirectional daily route with the 6 transitioning to South Shore Drive.  A new 26 South  Shore  Express  was launched and the 27 was merged with the 71 71st, becoming the 71 71st/South  Shore.

9 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Didn't know the 6 used to run on Jeffery

Numeric drift. Jeffrey was 5 and 5A, then became 6, then 14 was added,  then in about 2002, 6 was rerouted south of Jackson Park to via South Shore Drive (essentially the original 1 Drexel-Hyde Park route) and 15 was added.

The existence of Pace bus 254

That and Pace 204 were Pace running 54A and 204 when CTA was not running on Saturday. In a bizzare twist typical of lack of coordination at the time, Pace continued to run 204 a couple of years after CTA merged its 204 with 93. In the case of 254, the consultant said that we don't provide better  service on Saturday  than is provided during the week, even though 254 had about 500 boardings per Saturday.

8 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Pace bus 210 going to the Loop, then being truncated to Bryn Mawr Red Line

Private suburban bus companies ran all sorts of downtown service, such as United to Glenview, Wheeling,  and Schaumburg, West Towns to Schiller Park, and South Suburban Safeway to Lansing,  River Oaks, and Thornton. Eventually, Pace decided that its purpose was only to go to the nearest CTA station, and killed downtown service, the last being 210 and 355. Of  course, I-55 became the exception to this rule.

The LaSalle express routes not getting on LSD until essentially North Ave

That was the original routing, but at about the time the express   was split into 135 and 136, it was realized that the no local stops rule could not be enforced on LaSalle.

The 28 going all the way to Paulina/Congress

Some survey indicated that people from the south side wanted to go to the Medical District. The didn't.

8 hours ago, artthouwill said:

The spaghetti Evanstons

It's a history of Evanston Bus Co. going out of business, CTA originally having circulator grids of Central-Grant, Emerson-Church, and Main-Oakton, the riders quickly protested, so a more downtown orientation was reinstated, and then in the 2003 restructuring, Chicago and Ridge were swapped.

There were several 127s, the last being a Madison/Washington Ogden Roosevelt Michigan circulator that didn't work. Someone posted here that one reason was that it trailed 12. Also, the Auto Show bus was nominally 127.

56 was split into 56 and 124.

353 and 355 were victims of the Grumman crisis when they were cut back "temporarily" to 115th and Cottage and run with (I'm not kidding) yellow school buses. Riding never recovered. 

Before United Motor Coach went bust, they had fiThereowntown routes - 10 to Glenview NAS, 11 to Wheeling, 12 to Evanston via Crawford and Golf/Simpson, and 13 (summer only) to Antioch via US 45. In addition, you had the 60 to Harvard and beyond to Big Foot at the state line, with Des Plaines short turns 61 via Park Ridge, 62 via Milwaukee and Dempster, and 63 via Milwaukee-Devon. 62 (as 262) made it to about 1979. 12, 13 were gone by about 1970, as was 60 past Barrington and 63. 60 past Des Plaines and past Jeff Park went in 1975. The 10-13 were originally American Coach, and the 10 dated back to about 1925, being operated by Suburban Transit System (yes, the one in Oak Lawn) in the 1930's.

There was also a 80 via Michigan-Ohio-Kennedy and out to Elk Grove Village that had only a couple of trips a dsy and went in 1975.

West Towns ran downtown, too, via Washington-Central Park-Madison-Harlem-Grand-25th-Lawrence-Mannheim to about where the ATS station now is and you transfered to Air Ride Trsnsportation buses (and paid a quarter) to go to the terminals. WTBC 14, later part of 307, gone about 1980 or so.

Finally, let' not forget Blue Bird downtown to Oakbrook Centet via Bellwood or via LaGrange, Aurora via Ogden, and Joliet via Archer or Joliet Rd. 831 is the last remants of that operation.

5 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

353 and 355 were victims of the Grumman crisis when they were cut back "temporarily" to 115th and Cottage and run with (I'm not kidding) yellow school buses. Riding never recovered. 

Only if you are arguing that it took 32 years to have its effect on 355. Highly unlikely,.

46 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Additionally, what was the reason the X21 only ran on weekends?

At the time, the 54/Cermak branch, which was then part of the Blue Line, was shut down on weekends while that branch was under construction.   It was dubbed Renew the Blue.  The X21 substituted rail service and ran to the Cermak Chinatown station.  During the week, the Blue Line 54/Cermak trains ran, albeit through slow zones.  Once the branch was rebuilt and normal service was  restored, there was no need for the X21.

On 9/6/2018 at 11:58 AM, artthouwill said:

At the time, the 54/Cermak branch, which was then part of the Blue Line, was shut down on weekends while that branch was under construction.   It was dubbed Renew the Blue.  The X21 substituted rail service and ran to the Cermak Chinatown station.  During the week, the Blue Line 54/Cermak trains ran, albeit through slow zones.  Once the branch was rebuilt and normal service was  restored, there was no need for the X21.

Of course, CTA never really officially stated that was the reason. However we all knew that that was essentially the reason behind the X21 existed. 

On 9/6/2018 at 11:56 AM, NewFlyerMCI said:

Graphs for anyone who likes data and whatnot. Everything pulled from RTAMS.

Ridership of X Routes (Feb 2005 - Feb 2010).png

Top Performing Routes by Ridership (Mar 2017-2018).png

This graph shows us why CTA's current President was willing to restore X9 and the X49 on a trial basis, and that after three come December that it's no surprise that both routes have performed so well after their restoration. 

53 minutes ago, jajuan said:

Of course, CTA never really officially stated that was the reason. However we all knew that that was essentially the reason behind the X21 existed

No they did. The only ambiguity was that the Douglas Branch was first shut down weekends, then the work that required removing structure was done on the weekend. After the work was done, Kruesi decided to bring back weekend service. But, for why ever it was down for the weekend, they said the X21 was the substitute.

On 9/5/2018 at 1:53 PM, NewFlyerMCI said:

A lot of major CTA changes happened when I wasn't old enough to be interested in public transit, so I went back to look at old early 2000s era maps and I'm honestly astounded by some of the route decisions. The only ones I really remember was the 1 going to 63rd/Stony, 35 going to Mercy/Michael Reese and the existence of the 27 South Deering, and I would've been around 3-5 years old if memory serves correctly. A lot of these make me wonder what the reason was behind a particular decision. List of things I found amazing:

• 52A went all the way to Kedzie/36th Pl
  • North Hyde Park
    • 51 used to end at 47th/Lake Park
    • 28 going to 47th/Red Line
    • 47 ending at 47th/King Dr
  • Didn't know the 6 used to run on Jeffery
  • Some X routes were LTD routes (the 53AL always confused me)
  • 77 going to the Nature Musuem
  • 76 and 152 ending at Diversey/Inner Drive
  • The existence of Pace bus 254
  • Pace bus 210 going to the Loop, then being truncated to Bryn Mawr Red Line
  • Whatever that weird turnaround the 96 used to do
  • The Clybourn diversion on the 73
  • The LaSalle express routes not getting on LSD until essentially North Ave
  • The 28 going all the way to Paulina/Congress
  • The spaghetti Evanstons
  • I remember the 129 (and the moldy Flxibles that ran on it) but not the 127
  • 147 going to the Finacial District
  • I definitely remember the 12 going to Museum Campus (which should be brought back, imo)

A few things to add about your list that didn't get mentioned. Yes the #6 was the prior "Jeffery Express" route. When the 14 got bumped up from rush only peak direction service to daily bidirectional, CTA saw that they didn't need two such Jeffery Express routes. So #6 was rerouted to South Shore Drive and became #6 Jackson Park Express. The #14 was renamed #14 Jeffery Express. The #14 kept it's odd streets only stop pattern along Jeffery though, so CTA still needed a route that served all local stops on Jeffery. So they created the #15 for that main purpose. So it wasn't created simply as a replacement of the #51 east of the Dan Ryan. It's central purpose was to replace the #6 as the local stop route on Jeffery Blvd and to also serve in part as a replacement to the #28 north of the Museum and Science and Industry as the first realignment of the 28 was as alluded to, a change to an express route during all times of service with a rush hour extension to the Medical District that didn't last long. Riders of the #28 didn't like that original idea though, so they split the service into the current local route that terminates at 47th/Lake Park and a separate #X28 express service with rush only service hours  following the present rush trips routing into downtown. In the tail end of 2012, CTA folded the #X28 back into the main #28 route as part of the DeCrowd service changes. This move had the effect of decreasing the number of rush hour "express" trips in and out of downtown from the Stony Island corridor. 

On the LaSalle Express routes, Before 2003, there were only the #135 and #136 which as you saw entered LSD at the North Ave entrance ramp instead of the present day routing of Wacker and Lower Lake Shore Drive to the Grand Ave entrance. Also the #135 at that time was known as the #135 Wilson/LaSalle Express because it operated beyond its current north terminus and west along Wilson to Ravenswood. That alignment up the full length of LaSalle north of downtown was too slow and caused ridiculous crowding issues. So they realigned the downtown portion to what it is now and truncated the #135 first to Clarendon/Montrose and later to Clarendon/Wilson resulting in that route being renamed #135 Clarendon/LaSalle Express. The #134 added as a third LaSalle Express to essentially serve as an express supplement to the #156. 

Moving on to the 124, that route's original designation as Navy Pier Express stems from it originally beginning as a weekend/special events extension in hours of the #121. At that time, the Navy Pier Express service was nonstop direct service from Union Station to Navy Pier. The buses loaded at Union Station and ran nonstop directly to Navy Pier. Hence the Navy Pier Express designation. CTA eventually got the idea that there was a market for regular bus service focused mainly between Union and Ogilvie Stations and Navy Pier. So they split off the Navy Pier Express as a separate route numbered #124 with the other result being that the #56 being truncated to end at Washington/Michigan. Strangely enough though CTA kept calling it Navy Pier Express for a while despite the fact that splitting it off as #124 changed the service from express to local. 

29 minutes ago, Busjack said:

No they did. The only ambiguity was that the Douglas Branch was first shut down weekends, then the work that required removing structure was done on the weekend. After the work was done, Kruesi decided to bring back weekend service. But, for why ever it was down for the weekend, they said the X21 was the substitute.

Now that I think back on it, you're right. The cutback off weekend service on the Douglas Branch was originally as a cost cutting move to try help alleviating some of CTA's many financial woes it was known for at the time. If I remember right it came as part of the late 90s Booz-Allen cuts. Owl service and weekend service both cut. But the structure deteriorated so bad to a point that most of the remaining service was under slow zones that were so bad that maximum speed for trains on the remaining weekday service was 20 mph for most of the branch. Years later when CTA decided to do repairs and got the funding to do so, they decided on most of the work being done on weekends because the branch was already closed weekend hours to start off and because of the negative reaction to the Green Line being totally shutdown between 1994 and 1996. 

21 minutes ago, jajuan said:

Yes the #6 was the prior "Jeffery Express" route. When it got bumped up from rush only peak direction service to daily bidirectional, CTA saw that they didn't need two such Jeffery Express routes.

You are essentially backwards. 6 was bidirectional before 14 was conceived. In the South LSD restructuring of about 2002, 6 was rerouted to South Shore Dr., 14 became all day, and 15 was added (as you indicated). Rationale of the change was to cut down transferring at Jeffery.

On 9/5/2018 at 3:41 PM, andrethebusman said:

147 used to end at Adams/State, then at Congress/State, then a short time at Harrison/State, then Congress Plaza.

11 at one time to Soldier Field,  146 to McCormick Pl (and for a few weeks to Cermak/Prairie).

See irm-cta website for many more wild things! 

Here's a link: http://irm-cta.org/

30 minutes ago, rvwnsd said:

Here's a link: http://irm-cta.org/

Just starting with Addison shows some weird stuff, like 152 was interlined with 153. 152 Limited is a separate route.Does document when it went from Keeler to NP and then to FG.

Also indicates that CTA ran West Towns 325.

On 9/8/2018 at 5:51 PM, Busjack said:

You are essentially backwards. 6 was bidirectional before 14 was conceived. In the South LSD restructuring of about 2002, 6 was rerouted to South Shore Dr., 14 became all day, and 15 was added (as you indicated). Rationale of the change was to cut down transferring at Jeffery.

Typo. That was supposed to say 14. Corrected now.